Unsightly Pattaya trash damaging the resort's image

webfact

Unsightly Pattaya trash damaging the resort's image

10pm1.jpg

Picture: INN

Locals and tourists have gone to the media to complain about huge unsightly piles of rubbish behind a central Pattaya condominium building. 

INN said the 4-5 rai of land in Soi Arunothai was private but it was high time that the owners and City Hall got together to clear up the mess. 

There were black trash bags, dry and wet refuse, food waste, furniture, old beds - you name it. 

10pm2.jpg

Picture: INN

It was a breeding ground for disease.

And bearing in mind that this area is crisscrossed by many public roads used not just by locals but tourists this was seen as highly damaging to the image of Pattaya. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-10

We rented a condo in Jomtien for two weeks in January and things were pretty much the same. It was very nice in and around the condo but walk five minutes in any direction and one encounters empty lots converted to garbage dumps and packs of dogs.

Walking along the highly recommended beach road and one dodges stinking, idling buses, people eating on the walkway and tossing their garbage into the rocks and just overall nastiness.

We won’t be back.

Garbage collection/disposal has been an issue in Pattaya since......forever.

People will drive for kilometers to dump their garbage into a vacant lot - because it is FREE. I have no clue where the nearest landfill site is, or where the garbage actually goes. 

(I probably don't really want to know either as I suspect it is probably directly upstream from where the city's water supply comes from !)

I see people drop small bags of garbage on the side of the road, expecting someone else to pick it up (maybe before the dogs get it) or the garbage truck guys to get it the next time they drive by. Every morning I go for a walk in my neighbourhood I see the little piles of bags on the main soi, and people driving down a side soi, stopping, tossing a small bag of trash off the side of the street and then driving on.

Don't walk 10 meters to put it into a waste bin (can't - that belongs to someone else that is actually paying for garbage pick up). Don't buy your own garbage can. Those things cost money ! Plus they tend to end up blown (or washed) down the street every time there's a storm if you don't secure them.

Everything is "som nom na".
Everything is someone else's problem. 

Friend of mine had a shop near Big C one time. All around his shop were small bags of garbage, mostly left overs from meals. There was a designated garbage disposal spot for the businesses in the area 20 meters away. Apparently that was too far.
I didn't want to be sitting in a garbage dump so I went to Big C, bought a medium sized garbage can and a package of bags. Brought it back, set it up and cleaned up the area.

Couple days later I was at his shop and the garbage can was still there. Had some garbage in it. No garbage bags (someone took them to use at home instead it seems). A week later - no garbage can. It got too "stinky" with all the garbage being dumped into it so they threw it away. Back to having little bags of trash dropped wherever.
I gave up. If they want to live/work in the middle of a garbage dump, so be it.
I can take my business somewhere else.

The garbage industry in some places is rife with corruption because there is big money in trash (or getting rid of other people's trash), but they need to do something otherwise the problem will never go away.
I'd say a tax on businesses (including apartment/hotels/guesthouses), villages and homes (registered addresses) but, being government, the money would just go into a pot, then into someone's pocket and then be forgotten about and the problem would remain.

Sheesh, hardly anyone even pays taxes. Trying to get them to pay for waste disposal ?
You'd be better off burning the place to the ground and starting over. It'd be less work in the long run I think !

Actually - there is probably a business opportunity in this. Find the areas where people are dumping their trash and put in a large bin (either a large metal bin or a 20'/40' skiff) and then sit some old fart in front of it with a sign - 5 baht/bag (or kilo). When the bin/skiff is full, call in the truck to empty it (or bring a replacement). Then haul the full one off to (wherever).
Who knows ? Could even end up paying for itself (or even make a profit) !

2 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

We rented a condo in Jomtien for two weeks in January and things were pretty much the same. It was very nice in and around the condo but walk five minutes in any direction and one encounters empty lots converted to garbage dumps and packs of dogs.

Walking along the highly recommended beach road and one dodges stinking, idling buses, people eating on the walkway and tossing their garbage into the rocks and just overall nastiness.

We won’t be back.

They are pigs. You could place an ashtray every 10 feet along the beach and Thais will still flick there cigarette buts in to the sand

from what I have seen here over the years I can honestly say there are not to many that really care about the cleanliness of Thailand. You can see people throwing their rubbish out of the car windows or from their bikes in the streets. I have seen people ride to the local port to fish, they throw all their bagged household rubbish into the water on one side then start fishing on the other side of the pier. Even at the big shopping centres hardly anyone uses the bins, too far to walk they just drop it on the floor even if they are virtually next to a bin, it just a common thing here

43 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Garbage collection/disposal has been an issue in Pattaya since......forever.

People will drive for kilometers to dump their garbage into a vacant lot - because it is FREE. I have no clue where the nearest landfill site is, or where the garbage actually goes. 

(I probably don't really want to know either as I suspect it is probably directly upstream from where the city's water supply comes from !)

I see people drop small bags of garbage on the side of the road, expecting someone else to pick it up (maybe before the dogs get it) or the garbage truck guys to get it the next time they drive by. Every morning I go for a walk in my neighbourhood I see the little piles of bags on the main soi, and people driving down a side soi, stopping, tossing a small bag of trash off the side of the street and then driving on.

Don't walk 10 meters to put it into a waste bin (can't - that belongs to someone else that is actually paying for garbage pick up). Don't buy your own garbage can. Those things cost money ! Plus they tend to end up blown (or washed) down the street every time there's a storm if you don't secure them.

Everything is "som nom na".
Everything is someone else's problem. 

Friend of mine had a shop near Big C one time. All around his shop were small bags of garbage, mostly left overs from meals. There was a designated garbage disposal spot for the businesses in the area 20 meters away. Apparently that was too far.
I didn't want to be sitting in a garbage dump so I went to Big C, bought a medium sized garbage can and a package of bags. Brought it back, set it up and cleaned up the area.

Couple days later I was at his shop and the garbage can was still there. Had some garbage in it. No garbage bags (someone took them to use at home instead it seems). A week later - no garbage can. It got too "stinky" with all the garbage being dumped into it so they threw it away. Back to having little bags of trash dropped wherever.
I gave up. If they want to live/work in the middle of a garbage dump, so be it.
I can take my business somewhere else.

The garbage industry in some places is rife with corruption because there is big money in trash (or getting rid of other people's trash), but they need to do something otherwise the problem will never go away.
I'd say a tax on businesses (including apartment/hotels/guesthouses), villages and homes (registered addresses) but, being government, the money would just go into a pot, then into someone's pocket and then be forgotten about and the problem would remain.

Sheesh, hardly anyone even pays taxes. Trying to get them to pay for waste disposal ?
You'd be better off burning the place to the ground and starting over. It'd be less work in the long run I think !

Actually - there is probably a business opportunity in this. Find the areas where people are dumping their trash and put in a large bin (either a large metal bin or a 20'/40' skiff) and then sit some old fart in front of it with a sign - 5 baht/bag (or kilo). When the bin/skiff is full, call in the truck to empty it (or bring a replacement). Then haul the full one off to (wherever).
Who knows ? Could even end up paying for itself (or even make a profit) !

Somebody will beat up the old fart to avoid paying 5 baht fee.

Nice idea but it  won't work.

Sorry to say but mostly thais blow off the reputation of their country and throw garbage everywhere around as nobody ever see it would confront them....... They probably would prefer to shoot you instead pick up the trash!

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Ahhh Pattaya! The bum that never gets wiped! Forget the image, it was fouled long ago!

Of course you don't see in most parts parts of the country do you? Like hell you don't! This isn't just a Pattaya disease.

6 minutes ago, manhood said:

Sorry to say but mostly thais blow off the reputation of their country and throw garbage everywhere around as nobody ever see it would confront them....... They probably would prefer to shoot you instead pick up the trash!

Yes! thats why Thai's just smile and don't complain they know there fellow country folk are loose cannons waiting to explode⁉️

When you have a resort in any other developed country, the authorities do not go around looking for fall guys and blaming foreigners for dirty beaches and garbage problems. They just don't.

Garbage and dirty beaches are caused by many things not to mention sewage flowing directly into the seas and the filth washed ashore. That coupled with large amounts of tourists and you are going to get the aforementioned garbage and dirt.

A responsible attitude would be to have beach cleaning machines and an army of cleaners for the beaches and surrounding areas. My god, they have enough people to do the job.

Maybe some tourists, Foreign and Thai, are not the most thoughtful, but it is local Pattaya government and such like, that is continuously raking in billions of baht per year from tourism.

It is their job and DUTY to find funds in their budgets, and allocate funds to keep the very thing that tourists come for clean i.e. The beach areas.

However, they would sooner run press conferences blaming everybody but themselves, issuing stupid fines for cigarette butts when the whole region is ' minging ' with filth.

They are not fit for purpose and not fit to govern.

They need to visit Spain, Monte Carlo, or Italy or even the UK and check out the beaches and the various cleaning methods.

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

Of course you don't see in most parts parts of the country do you? Like hell you don't! This isn't just a Pattaya disease.

but...….the story is about...…..you guessed it...…...PATTAYA!

Most of the Thai folks I know are pragmatic enough to know that even if they make the effort to get their trash in a bin, it's still going to end up on the beach or the side of the road.  'Cause that's more profitable for the contractors and government officials than proper disposal facilities.

But in fairness, it's not much different than back home when I was a kid.  It took decades of anti-litter campaigns, $$ billions in waste disposal investment and very heavy littering fines to turn it around. 

I just can't see the government making that effort in Thailand.  They're too busy disqualifying all the opposition candidates.  And when you can win elections that way, why on earth would you feel obligated to actually serve the needs of the public?

17 hours ago, Kim J said:

They have cleaned this area up before. Then a few days later it looked as bad as it was previously. I am sue if they clear this land again now exactly the same will happen. This is just one of countless impromptu rubbish tips around the area.

This is an ever growing problem all over Thailand.

I used to visit a friend requiring me to cut through from Soi Bong Koch to Arunothai once a week and I believe this is the area. Yes it has been a dumping ground for many years. One of many. Offer rewards for those taking pictures of dumpers, get their plate numbers. A lot of the tipping appears to be construction rubbish. Aw hell, the whole area is a dump, level it!

17 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I thought  garbage  piled up was the image of Pattaya.    it is        easier to find a garbage dunp area than a clean beach to visit.

Exactly. They wanted Pattaya to become a family friendly resort and this is exactly what is happening. Thai families dump rubbish even in their own gardens all around Thailand so when Thai tourists visit Pattaya and see this, then it must make many Thais feel at home  ????

But the real problem is fly dumping. It happens everywhere as there are no public rubbish dumps for Thais to take there rubbish to.

Yes the real problem is there are no official rubbish dumps,I've never read many news articles about Pattaya rubbish....never a single time has the location of the official dumps been published...if there are any in the Pattaya vicinity why are they being "kept secret" ?

19 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

We won’t be back.

Just think, many Thais think this is acceptable. -Just proof Thailand is still a developing country. ( This is why the wealthier & educated Thais flock to Japan & Singapore. They love the cleanliness and orderly surroundings.) 

Archived