Pattaya makes the top 10 list on Expats best low budget places to move abroad!

Jingthing

1 minute ago, bignok said:

That's a good thing. Most of the bad farangs go there.

You are prone to dissing places for not being what you want, when such places are super-explicit that they're not what you want.

I'm more a neurotic weigher. "I could live in Ekkamai in a heartbeat, BUT.......

If you can only pick 3 attributes, and then you HAVE to live in that place, what are the 3 attributes?

I listed mine above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

We have homes in Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai is definitely a lot more expensive than Chiang Rai, about 25% more for Grab and Foodpanda.

We have lived in Pattaya (Prathumnak Soi 4) and Bangkok (Sukumvit Soi 16).  Pattaya is navigable on a motorbike but you get ripped off by corrupt police and completely unnavigable by car at times, the sea is unusable it's so dirty.  Bangkok pollution is appalling all year round and you better not try to go anywhere by taxi if it's raining.

In Chiang Rai we call 2 cars in front of you at the traffic lights a traffic jam.

<coughs> smoke !

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Where to retire on places named in this list for penniless Americans - Bulgaria, Albania, Pattaya?

A pity Pattaya is not also named in this web company's next list "The most christmassy places on earth."

I presume once Pattaya transforms into a 'Smart City" prices will skyrocket.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

You are prone to dissing places for not being what you want, when such places are super-explicit that they're not what you want.

I'm more a neurotic weigher. "I could live in Ekkamai in a heartbeat, BUT.......

If you can only pick 3 attributes, and then you HAVE to live in that place, what are the 3 attributes?

I listed mine above.

Decent food

Decent scenary

Decent people

13 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Is Penang actually cheaper than Pattaya, per the list?

Looked in last Oct. Nicer apartments for about a quarter less. Food about the same. Booze too. Medium bad traffic, but you wouldn't leave your little enclave much.

Prob: The Muslim thing -not that I think they're terrorists, just that they are def. lacking in the sanuk department. They are crazy-friendly; I prefer the more medium-cool Thais.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"You can get a retirement visa with €760 in monthly retirement or pension income, which is equivalent to approximately $830. After five years, you can convert your residency for EU citizenship and enjoy easy travel across Europe."

Completely clueless writer.

Once you get visa to 1 EU country you can travel to all.

Also, once you get residency in one you can get to work and/or live in all.

There's no "EU citizenship". Every member country have their own rules.

Portugal had tax free deal for expats. That will expire Jan 1. 2023. So hurry up!

"From January 1, 2024, the NHR regime will no longer be available for new tax residents. However, those already enrolled in the NHR regime as of December 31, 2023, will continue to benefit from it for the remainder of their 10-year eligibility period."

31 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

This is a thread about retirement destinations. 

It's not another thread where you talk about your bike rides and say things like, "it had nice scenery, it did -'loved my cold Leo." 

It's a thread, very unfortunately, that is somehow not about you.

When people retire, they want a little comfort. In which case the 3 entrees on your list cost money.

This thread is about places where that money might go a little further.

Interrupting constantly to remind us that you're a common sense blokey-bloke who challenging the status quo is just more pathetic leg humping.

You love yourself too much. Every post is about you.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I've got a friend who just retired and he's travelling around Thailand to decide where to live. He's so far stayed in Bangkok, Hua Hin, Chang Mai, Phuket and last month I showed him Pattaya.

I showed him the beach scene, shopping malls, markets, nice restaurants and "no hassle" bars. He stated to me that Pattaya was now top of his list due to the significant infrastructure of the place compared to others

He then went to Da Nang for a week trip and fell in love with a local so a month later he doesn't know when he'll be back 😞

Your friend is smart. Travel around. That's my advice to. 

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Da Nang, Vietnam.  4* hotel with pool near the beach, 331 baht per night.

Flower Boutique Hotel, Da Nang.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

331 wow what a deal.

We usually stay in more expensive hotels, but on my first trip I clocked this hotel and out of curiosity looked it up.  We will stay there for one night on 18th December before moving to a much better beach hotel in Hoi An for a few nights.

I am trying the Flower out for a few friends who are thinking of escaping there for the smokey season, the whole of March for 13,000 baht approx.  Actually, we are paying about 660 for the night because we have booked a 2 bedroom plus living room suite.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

It's also a pic from nearly 5 years ago so don't know what was his point. But then again he's had 1 whole night in Pattaya so thinks he knows all about how it is lol

You think it's changed in 5 years, I don't

maybe go have a ride/drive around Pattaya and Jomtien away from beach road, 2nd road and third road. 

it still looks about the same to me.