No more Non O Spouse multiple entry?

So I understand that the multiple entry option for spouse visa is no longer available. I travel from Europe to Thailand 4 times per year and stay 8 weeks each time. Would 4 Tourist visas per year be a better option for me now, perhaps less hassle and cheaper?

• Like 1

Talking to a friend said he got one today Savanakhet. I thought they had stopped them as well. I am on a parent visa. I heard the rules changed for that also where the childs mother now has to be present. Anyone have recent experience

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

So I understand that the multiple entry option for spouse visa is no longer available. I travel from Europe to Thailand 4 times per year and stay 8 weeks each time. Would 4 Tourist visas per year be a better option for me now, perhaps less hassle and cheaper?

Funny enough, when I choose the "visit family less than 60d" choice on the online application, I'm granted a tourist visa😂. And there's a multiple entry option, valid for 6 months...guess I'm gonna be a tourist again after all these years.

Edited by RotBenz8888
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

However, after successful application and entering Thailand an attentive and vigilant border-official might notice from your Passport stamps that you were not in your home-country when applying for the eVisa.

EU - They haven't been stamping for years. Just checking & scanning. Many borders are self scanning now.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

#1 - By eVisa application, which will then be handled by the Thai Embassy in your home-country (or country of permanent residence). 

Recent reports have mentioned that the Multiple option is no longer available via the thaievisa website. 

London have confirmed via email to one BM  that they are not currently issuing them.

//Edit by Maestro: rephrased incomprehensible part of the post.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I have also received an email confirmation that multiple entry is no longer available. The advice was to apply for single entry and extend in Thailand.

Edited by Maestro
Removed quote of incomprehensible post
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why get a visa? Enter visa exempt for 30 days and extend for another 30.

Hop across a land border crossing get another 30 days and extend for another 30 days. Job done.

Easy peasy.

The Thai Government are extremly busy spouting off about how good the tourism numbers are ( as usual it's all BS ) on one hand and making the visas more difficult to get all around world.

Thai logic and common sense. 5555

If you've lived here awhile ya know they've got none of that common sense and logic some Farangs have when they arrive in the land of smiles only do see it dissapear when they meet up with the love of their life.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

The 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage is still available.

There are 2 ways to get hold of it:

#1 - By eVisa application, which will then be handled by the Thai Embassy in your home-country (or country of permanent residence).  Note that the regulations stipulate that you need to be in your home-country when applying for the eVisa, but obviously when using a home-country set VPN to do the application on-line, there will be no way they can check whether you are indeed in your home-country when doing the application.  However, after successful application and entering Thailand an attentive and vigilant border-official might notice from your Passport stamps that you were not in your home-country when applying for the eVisa.  But the risk of that being very very small. 

#2 - By applying for it at a Thai Embassy/Consulate of a Thailand neigbouring country that provides that particular Visa. The most used and easiest one being the Thai consulate in Savannakhet, Laos (just over the border usng the Friendship bridge from Mukdahan).  Note that since approx 1 month the requirements when applying for that Visa have been tightened, and you now also need to provide proof of +400K on a personal Thai bank-account.  Several applicants after that transition not aware of that overnight added rule, only did receive the 90-day SingleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage instead of the 1-year MultipleEntry they wanted. 

Never mind VPN, when applying for an Evisa you need to provide an airline ticket from your home country. No ticket equals No visa. Simple 

59 minutes ago, eggzthaioz said:

Why get a visa? Enter visa exempt for 30 days and extend for another 30.

Hop across a land border crossing get another 30 days and extend for another 30 days. Job done.

Easy peasy.

That's what I'm doing but I spend 3-6 days in other countries to see what they have to offer.

Next is Cambodia. Then Philippines, Okinawa and Taiwan (before China steels it like Hong Kong...).

1 hour ago, Toby1947 said:

Never mind VPN, when applying for an Evisa you need to provide an airline ticket from your home country. No ticket equals No visa. Simple 

Was not aware of that requirement.  However, a fully recoverable ticket or a cheap onward flight-ticket reservation might be an option to meet that specific requirement, although I do not recommend it as you cannot claim 'ignorance' when on entering Thailand your passport shows that you were not in your home-country when applying for the eVisa.

Note: Can anybody explain to me the reason for that requirement that you are only allowed to apply for an eVisa when physically in your home-country. 

23 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Note that since approx 1 month the requirements when applying for that Visa have been tightened, and you now also need to provide proof of +400K on a personal Thai bank-account.

Reports since (on this site) have confirmed that a foreign bank account is also acceptable.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 10:14 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

That is not true. (at least in our area) 

On Marriage extension, I had a single re-entry to my extension this year that I used this summer, now I am going to the US for Christmas, and when I went to get another  single  re-entry, the officer asked my why I had not gotten a multiple re-entry to begin with. 

15 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Reports since (on this site) have confirmed that a foreign bank account is also acceptable.

Yes that's correct, but I refrained from mentioning it because for me it is not clear what specific evidence of the equivalent of +400K on a foreign bank-account would be accepted when applying for the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet. 

With a Thai bank-account you can bring your recently updated Bank Passbook with you (and you could also bring the Bank-Account statement printed on Bank-letterhead paper showing that you are the owner of the Account and the balance it shows at moment of issuance).

But what evidence would be accepted when you have a foreign bank-account with the equivalent of +400K? 

Reports on this matter of people having used a foreign bank-account for the 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa application would be helpful.

Edited by Red Phoenix

On 12/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Funny enough, when I choose the "visit family less than 60d" choice on the online application, I'm granted a tourist visa😂. And there's a multiple entry option, valid for 6 months...guess I'm gonna be a tourist again after all these years.

I have absolutely no doubt that our resident 'experts' will shout me down on this or, as they did before, report my post as containing innaccurate information.

So, I will simply tell you what happened to me a few years back (the same thing happened to a friend and I will gladly ask him to confirm this if our resident 'experts' disagree).  I cannot say this happens to everyone but it happened to me.

After a few years of having a Multi Entry Non O (MENO) based on marriage but only staying for 2 - 3 weeks per trip, I decided that it was a waste of money and entered using the 30 day exemption. I was pulled over and asked "no visa this time?" I was told in no uncertain circumstances that visiting a Thai wife was not classed as tourism and that a 30 day exemption is only for tourists. They would let me in that time but told me to get a Non O next time or I would not be allowed in. I got a Non O.

Relating it to your suggestion, a while later I also noticed that a Multi Entry Tourist Visa (METV) was being promoted by The Royal Thai Embassy in London and the wording on their website stated something like 'for tourism and short visits to family members' - a wife is a family member.  That would suite me as London had stopped issuing MENO's based on marriage and obtaining one would mean a visit to Laos or Vietnam. So, on one of my next exits I went to the immigration counter behind the passport booths at Suvarnabhumi, told them they had previously told me to return to using a MENO (obviously a single entry non o would be acceptable) but the embassy in London were now saying a METV was appropriate - was that OK.  I was again told that visiting a Thai wife was not classed as tourism and I must continue using Non O's.  The officer made some sort of comment about the embassy not being them and that they were the ones who decided if you come in or not.

So, if you do go for a METV - I would suggest you have a way of opening the E-Visa website at the passport booth so that you can show them it directs you to a METV.

I can't say the above will happen to you but it happened to me and a friend.  I'm no longer married so I'm OK to use exempts again but if I was still married, I would stick to what the guys who let me in say - flight tickets are very expensive these days.

Having said that, if the officer does single you out, you will almost certainly get a warning as I did on the first time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

Well there have been opposite ones.  It does however, need clarification. MENO's based on marriage are intended for those who don't live in Thailand but visit their wives. They cannot demand that someone who doesn't live in the country has a Thai bank account - not when technically non residents are not allowed to hold bank accounts (yes I know many do, including me).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Kul1 said:

I just returned from Savan , last Wednesday 

applied for non O multi, marriage, rejected!

she asked for bank statement from Thailand bank 

handed me back my statement from U.S bank , and point blank said money must be in Thai bank . You get 90 days only, come back tomorrow , no discussion 

Thanks for your report!  Much appreciated.

It's unfortunate for you that your US bank-account statement was not accepted. But your experience will be helpful for those applying for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Mariage Visa at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet, that ONLY evidence of the +400K funds on Thai bank-account are accepted for that type Visa.

In order to avoid being turned down with funds on a Thai bank-account, I would suggest:

> To visit your Thai bank the day before going to the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet and then

1 - do a small transaction on that account (e.g. withdrawing or adding 1.000,- THB)

2 - updating your Bank Passbook such that it features the balance after that transaction (which should still be over +400K)

3 - ask the Bank staff to provide you with a Bank-account statement (printed on Thai Bank letterhead paper and signed by Bank manager) stating that you are the owner of that Bank-account as well as the balance it features at the moment of issuance (costs between 100,- and 200,- THB)

That would be undeniable proof that you meet the financial requirements as now imposed by the Thai consulate in Savannakhet for a 1-year ME Non Imm O Marriage application. 

• Like 1

Further complaint sent to Savannakhet, Immigration and the MFA. Not holding my breath over a reply.

A Multi Entry Non O based on marriage allows a stay of 90 days and is for those not resident in Thailand to visit their spouse, it should not be subject to the same requirements as a 12 month Extension of Stay. I do not believe the regulations require this.

Edited by MangoKorat

On 12/2/2023 at 10:47 PM, Kenny202 said:

Talking to a friend said he got one today Savanakhet. I thought they had stopped them as well. I am on a parent visa. I heard the rules changed for that also where the childs mother now has to be present. Anyone have recent experience

I got a non o 90 day parent of Thai child last week and mother didn't need to be present. Only time she needed to be there is when I extended inside Thailand. No surprises and all docs needed on their website where correct. Only thing I would do differently next time is pay the 500 baht to get to the front of the queue. But to be honest I'll probably try a different embassy next time as there is sweet f a to do in Savannakhet. 

• Sad 1

On 12/3/2023 at 7:41 AM, kelboy said:

I got 1 two months ago in London had to show 10000 pounds. 

Each Embassy seems to have different financial requirements for this. Last time I did this was in 2022 by e-visa application to the Thai Embassy in France for a single entry, but the requirement appeared the same for a multiple.  As a French resident I had to show 7,000 Euros in my French bank account on date of application and I think it was for 2 months prior. As a Brit I also had to prove my French residency. Easy post brexit as because of brexit Brits living in France had to apply for French residency and the card that goes with it as proof. Prior to brexit as we were EU citizens this was not a French requirement. Back then I'm not sure how one would have proved residency. Bills do not necessarily mean you are a legal resident. Perhaps a French tax assessment which were the golden key to getting the official  brexit residency card, but they are for the previous French tax year.

On 12/2/2023 at 6:20 PM, RotBenz8888 said:

Are you applying from the  UK ?  If so you need to look a little more carefully at what kind of tourist visa they might give you,  There is indeed a multiple entry tourist visa option available if one selects  "Tourism and leisure activities" as the reason for applying ,   BUT.....  If you state on your application that you want the visa in order to visit "family" then you will find that the multiple entry option is no longer there,  and only a single entry option is available  

And for anybody thinking of disagreeing, don't bother as I have just checked on the UK e-visa website

On the positive side,  the application process for METVs seems a bit easier than before the recent changes,  there was no financial evidence required, or tax return or employers letter,  and no need to do a selfie holding ones passport,  at least that's how it was a month ago

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Are you applying from the  UK ?  If so you need to look a little more carefully at what kind of tourist visa they might give you,  There is indeed a multiple entry tourist visa option available if one selects  "Tourism and leisure activities" as the reason for applying ,   BUT.....  If you state on your application that you want the visa in order to visit "family" then you will find that the multiple entry option is no longer there,  and only a single entry option is available  

And for anybody thinking of disagreeing, don't bother as I have just checked on the UK e-visa website

On the positive side,  the application process for METVs seems a bit easier than before the recent changes,  there was no financial evidence required, or tax return or employers letter,  and no need to do a selfie holding ones passport,  at least that's how it was a month ago

Seems like theyre making it increasingly difficult for those with a Thai wife.

• Like 1