Simple question about Imm-O Retirement visa

1 hour ago, Nabbiex said:

Hi,

Question: Does the health insurance In-patient (IPD) and Out-patient (OPD) mandatory for retirement visa? Or can it be without OPD?

Appreciate response. 

This was the requiurement last time I applied for a Non "O" Retirement visa. I'm not sure about renewing or extending as I have only just come off my Non "B" and haven't had to do that yet.

· Health insurance policy with minimum coverage of 40,000 THB/year for outpatients and 400,000 THB/year for inpatients, and covering the entire duration of the applicant's stay in Thailand.  For more information on health insurance for non-immigrant type "O-A" and "O" visas, please visit https://longstay.tgia.org/.

The link only takes you to information on insurance companies.

• Like 1

Thanks for useful info above. Actually I have a current one-year extension based on Thai child. When she will reach at the age of 20, I may be prepared to toggle to the retirement visa. From what I see your responses, it looks like the health insurance is not required for Non-O retirement visa. Also, I am trying to figure out whether opting additional OPD insurance is worth or not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for useful info above. Actually I have a current one-year extension based on Thai child. When she will reach at the age of 20, I may be prepared to toggle to the retirement visa. From what I see your responses, it looks like the health insurance is not required for Non-O retirement visa. Also, I am trying to figure out whether opting additional OPD insurance is worth or not. 

Why would her reaching the age of 20 change anything?

9 hours ago, Nabbiex said:

Hi,

Question: Does the health insurance In-patient (IPD) and Out-patient (OPD) mandatory for retirement visa? Or can it be without OPD?

Appreciate response. 

There are no gods or geniuses here on this forum.

Many of us have had different expreriences and have different information from different sources, including different Thai embassies in different countries. 

If you are still in your home country, look up the Thai embassy online, and see what their requirements are.

If you are already in Thailand, either go and visit your local Immigratioin office or engage one of the more reputable Thai visa agents. There may be 1 or 2 ....

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Nabbiex said:

Thanks for useful info above. Actually I have a current one-year extension based on Thai child. When she will reach at the age of 20, I may be prepared to toggle to the retirement visa.

If you are referring to changing the reason for continuing your stay (I assume you are) then you don’t have a visa now, you have an extension of stay, the difference is important as visa rules are not the same as rules for extension of stay

Immigration rules in Thailand are confusing for many and using an incorrect term will result in incorrect information given.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Because that is the age that that extension becomes unavailable

37 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

With a Non-Immigrant O Visa (which is what you say you have), you have been getting extensions of the permitted stay (not a new visa) based on the "reason" being you have a Thai child. When that child reaches 20 years of age, as you mention, that reason can no longer be used to extend your stay. 

Who told you the option of continuing an extension of stay when your Thai child reaches the age of 20 ceases.

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Because that is the age that that extension becomes unavailable

Who told you that?

Not true.

From the Immigration website. No mention of age.

In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year. For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

Who told you the option of continuing an extension of stay when your Thai child reaches the age of 20 ceases.

1 hour ago, Lite Beer said:

Who told you that?

Not true.

From the Immigration website. No mention of age.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1890#4a1226858b1ca2799

Seems to say that here ?

55 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

No, you're misinterpreting the requirements.
The age restriction only applies if the child is adopted, or is the child of the spouse (clause4) - not the applicant's biological child (clause 5).

Edited by Liquorice

Thanks for your further responses above. Re: When Thai child reaching the age of 20, the extension will become invalid. The misinterpretation / wrong info can be confusing but I found the most accurate info called Order of The Immigration Bureau No 327/2557 (Not sure if this is most recent update). See the copy - 

image.png.e9455c5eac17a4d377141ec7dbfeba2f.png

Personally, it is very stupid because how can father & the biological Thai child be separated? Well, that is Thainess. :/

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your further responses above. Re: When Thai child reaching the age of 20, the extension will become invalid. The misinterpretation / wrong info can be confusing but I found the most accurate info called Order of The Immigration Bureau No 327/2557 (Not sure if this is most recent update). See the copy - 

image.png.e9455c5eac17a4d377141ec7dbfeba2f.png

Personally, it is very stupid because how can father & the biological Thai child be separated? Well, that is Thainess. :/

You have posted the wrong section.

2.18 deals with what we are talking about.

• Like 1

Under the provisions of both paragraph 2.18 and 2.19, if the relationship is to a Thai child (be it their own, adopted, or their spouse's), the child must not be over the age of 20 unless they are disabled as noted below:

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):
4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse's children, said children, adopted children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother

2.19 In the case of being a family member of a Thai resident (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):
(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted
children, or spouse's children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the
family, and must not be over 20 years of age
except in case of the person hereof is of illness
or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother.

• Like 1

You are reading it wrong.

The relevant section is 2.18 (5)

Everything else is irrelevant and nothing to do with what is being discussed.

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year. For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.

Edited by Lite Beer

12 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must maintain an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month throughout the year or must have deposited funds of no less than Baht 400,000 to cover expenses for one year. For other necessary cases, the Commissioner or Deputy Commissioner of Immigration Bureau is granted the authority to make decisions regarding approval on a case-by-case basis.

What is most confusing is the reference to 'child'. Once turned 20 'child' cannot be applicable in Thailand.

39 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

You're wrong.

2.18 (5) is only about the financial requirement. It is not the full set of requirements. 

The child must live with the alien, be unmarried and not be over the age of 20. As per 2.18.

As for the financial requirements, see 2.18(5) which refers to those and only those.

If you think 2.18(5) is the full list of requirements it would mean that you think the child can live anywhere, be any age and be married with their own family. Say, be 40 years old living in another province with their spouse and 3 children. 

There is no requirement for the child to be under 20.

If you choose to believe differently then that is up to you.

I am just giving the facts.

People can believe what they want but I am correct and will not be returning to this topic.

It is pointless.