Bus accident in Prachuap Khiri Khan: 14 dead, 35 injured

webfact

On 12/5/2023 at 1:08 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Why do reports here always refer to these as tour buses when they are not. This was a regular passenger service, not on a tour.

It's just how the same things are known, or named, differently somewhere else. I don't know about the rest of SEA but if I'm not mistaken, I think Malaysians and Singaporeans refer to these vehicles as 'tour buses' too. I guess the locals needed to differentiate them from the regular single-deck buses and gave it the term 'tour bus' because they probably perceived that these 'more elaborate' buses were built to carry/ferry tourists. A lot of tour companies use these buses too - even for regular passenger services - hence the term 'tour bus' stuck, I guess.

In a way, I suppose it is somewhat similar to how our (to me at least) 'lorry' is known a 'truck' to other people in other parts of the world.

On 12/5/2023 at 12:03 PM, The Fugitive said:

Can't remember from the last time I travelled by coach (it was NakonChaiAir), are there seatbelts fitted?

I have travelled with NakonChaiAir several times between Phu Wiang (Khon Kaen Province) to Bangkok and the coaches were all fitted with seat belts. From experience, I found the Thais generally did not wear theirs but I always "belted up". 

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2023 at 11:49 AM, 1duckyboy said:

Domestic or foreign tourists? It's usually stated in these type of stories. Hmmmm.

In this tragic accident, it could have included both. The destination Na Thawi is in Songkhla Province and not too far from the Malaysian Border. From my experience travelling on these regular time-tabled blue/white Inter Provincial buses between Lanna, Isaan and Bangkok, the passengers were mainly Thai people either going to work, visiting relatives, attending a festival or shopping etc. rather than going on a tour as such. IMO such buses are not "tour" buses as is often quoted.

Here's some video.

What's gets me about Thai media is they never acknowledge there are road safety problems in Thailand and all of this is to be expected. We don't know what happened but it's nearly certain it was preventable. I honestly don't know if they know what they're doing on the roads in this country. Maybe too simple minded or in deep denial.

On 12/5/2023 at 7:59 AM, stoner said:

the rate of speed can be calculated by forensics. odds are driver was going way too fast and simply lost control. 

feel so bad for the common people who just wanted to go somewhere. :(

what country do you live in? It has been proved rates of speed in Thailand can not be proved and can be changed at the convenience of the authorities. There is speculation online now that the driver was taking drugs though. It rammed the tree head on. I also heard there was a 3 year old the survived after flying through the window and the body count is more now. 

I have never felt unsafe in the big buses in Thailand, but I only travel at daytime.  Mostly between Bangkok - Pattaya. 

But I feel unsafe in the smaller minibuses, too many accidents . 

What I will never will understand is the farangs who take the bus from the airport to save a few bahts and then go and spend thousands of bahts to the bargirls in Pattaya. Knowing that taxis are ridiculously cheap. Please explain

30 minutes ago, vangrop said:

What I will never will understand is the farangs who take the bus from the airport to save a few bahts and then go and spend thousands of bahts to the bargirls in Pattaya. Knowing that taxis are ridiculously cheap. Please explain

Absolutely!

I watched earlier this year two old farangs trample up the hill in Jomtien to the bus station heaving luggage bags behind them in heat sweating puffing panting to catch a bus to the airport

A few nights earlier I had seen them in every bar wasting money even ringing the bell !

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely!

I watched earlier this year two old farangs trample up the hill in Jomtien to the bus station heaving luggage bags behind them in heat sweating puffing panting to catch a bus to the airport

A few nights earlier I had seen them in every bar wasting money even ringing the bell !

Edited just now by georgegeorgia

hahahaha

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely!

More crap from you! what 'hill' is that bus station on.? 

On 12/5/2023 at 7:11 PM, grubman said:

Does it really matter whether they were foreign of domestic tourist, there are 14 people that have lost their live due to the accident, whatever the cause of the accident. 

It's another totally preventable accident, with better laws, licensing, training and policing of the laws would be a good start, but as well all know from previous history this will not be happening any time soon. 

Condolences to the families of the deceased   

Apparently it matters to potential tourists.

44 minutes ago, 1duckyboy said:
On 12/5/2023 at 12:26 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Hmmmm.  What difference does it make?

It makes a difference to potential foreign tourists, as in Chinese. 

How can the nationality of those killed in that accident affect others of that, or any other, nationality coming here?   You're not really trying to say that because there were maybe no Chinese involved, Thailand must be a safer place for Chinese visitors and that if the deaths had been Chinese then Thailand is more dangerous for Chinese visitors, are you?

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How can

of those killed in that accident affect others of that, or any other, nationality coming here?   You're not really trying to say that because there were maybe no Chinese involved, Thailand must be a safer place for Chinese visitors and that if the deaths had been Chinese then Thailand is more dangerous for Chinese visitors, are you?

I'm not saying it but TAT has repeatedly stated that news of boating fatalities, mall shootings and kidnappings in which fatalities were Chinese contributed to the decreasing number of Chinese tourists to Thailand. The Bangkok Post routinely used to post the nationality of tourist victims but recently has ceased doing so. The reason appears obvious, but maybe not to you.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2023 at 8:25 AM, ezzra said:

With a population of nearly 72 millions and buss going everywhere day and night such accidents, by statistics, are bound to happen, 

good thing it doesn't happened too often...

good thing it doesn't happen too often ???

Thailand is one of the most dangerous country in the world as regards road accidents. eg 6 times more death than in France with same population

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate