Bus accident in Prachuap Khiri Khan: 14 dead, 35 injured

webfact

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What Thais call a microsleep is what most of us call a lack of concentration, the mind drifting off. 

No it isn't. A microsleep can happen to anyone. I have experienced it while driving on a UK motorway many many years ago, driving along feeling tired then suddenly realising you've been asleep for a couple of seconds. Damn scary. Of course I pulled off the motorway immediately afterwards and found a place to rest.

Anyway, shouldn't the driver be alert at all times while operating a vehicle, instead of having a microsleep or dozing off.

As said above they can happen to anyone on a long journey. However if you are well rested the chances of it happening are reduced by a huge amount which is why we have strict driving limits for commercial drivers.  It remains to be seen how much rest this driver had had and how much driving he had done in the past 24 hours.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, khunpin said:

I hope, the tree didn't suffer from any scratches. 

14 people (mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, sisters, brothers) just lost their lives in a horrific manner and that is all you can say. You should be ashamed of yourself, disgusting.

This place really has some sickos, as someone else rightly said "bordering on mental illness". Count yourself among them.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

A microsleep can happen to anyone. I have experienced it while driving on a UK motorway many many years ago, driving along feeling tired then suddenly realising you've been asleep for a couple of seconds. Damn scary. Of course I pulled off the motorway immediately afterwards and found a place to rest.

so you fell asleep at the wheel. nothing micro about that. you simply lost control of yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, stoner said:

the rate of speed can be calculated by forensics. odds are driver was going way too fast and simply lost control. 

feel so bad for the common people who just wanted to go somewhere. :(

Never seen them going slow, I thought the bus drivers were a protected species.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, stoner said:

so you fell asleep at the wheel. nothing micro about that. you simply lost control of yourself. 

Disagree.  I was perfectly fine, not distracted, not doing anything to "lose control" of myself, just driving and concentrating. Then suddenly I felt very drowsy so I opened a window whilst looking for somewhere to get off the motorway, when suddenly for one or two seconds I nodded off then came back with a jolt. I was powerless to stop it. Never experienced anything like it since.

It is a real medically defined thing, and is nothing to do with "losing control" of yourself, sorry.

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/what-to-know-microsleep

https://www.thensf.org/what-is-microsleep/#:~:text=Simply put%2C microsleep is when,day%2C not just at night.

Edited by josephbloggs

8 hours ago, stoner said:

the rate of speed can be calculated by forensics. odds are driver was going way too fast and simply lost control. 

feel so bad for the common people who just wanted to go somewhere. :(

Sadly the forensic analysis of road accidents is almost non-existant in Thailand....the best you get is some amateur guesses by a local policeman. Al an "investigation" will do is try to blame someo=ne - e.g the driver - in reality it is a system that has been allowed to grow without any proper regulation - a combination of roads and vehicle engineering do nothing to mitigate the severity of incidents like this.

These "VIP" coaches are particularly deadly once in an accident as the construction is unregulated and flimsy.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

People love to blame “reckless driving” or “bad driving” on crashes – but in reality they are not the primary cause – but it makes it easier for bystanders to make conclusions.

Over 90% of crashes are caused by “human error” – this is a small lapse that is perfectly normal in all drivers – usually a distraction or loss of concentration.

Human error refers to mistakes, lapses, or incorrect actions made by individuals while driving or being involved in road traffic. These errors can occur due to various factors, such as lack of attention, distraction, fatigue, inadequate driving skills, misjudgement of situations, or simply making a wrong decision.

Then there are also more serious cases of impairment (e.g., due to alcohol or drugs).

Microsleeps refers to very short periods of sleep that can be measured in seconds, rather than minutes or hours. A microsleep is defined as sleep episodes that last for 15 seconds or less 

People may not even appear to be asleep during a microsleep episode, but nevertheless their brain is not processing external information like usual.

Microsleeps occur most often after sleep deprivation. E.g. shift workers, people with forms of insomnia or sleep apnoea,.

But, people who do not have sleep disorders can experience microsleeps too.

Microsleeps commonly occur when performing monotonous tasks, e.g. - driving on an empty highway.

Microsleep can happen to anyone and have serious consequences, such as a risk of car crashes.

If someone has frequent microsleeps it is important to seek medical advice because they are a serious danger on the roads.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

With a population of nearly 72 millions and buss going everywhere day and night such accidents, by statistics, are bound to happen, 

good thing it doesn't happened too often...

THe numbers of road deaths in buses in Thailand is relatively low - however the problem is vehicle construction - these vehicles - once they crash, offer very little protection for the occupants.

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

"With a population of nearly 72 millions and buss going everywhere day and night such accidents, by statistics, are bound to happen, 

good thing it doesn't happened too often..."

What stumps me are the 3 'confused' reaction to my post above, what is there to be confused about guys or you don't understand the point i'm trying to make?

I am one of those three. I’m confused why you think this type of accident doesn’t happen too often. 

such accidents are regularly reported on and when I drive from Phuket to Bangkok and vice versa, it would be a unicorn trip for me not to witness the recent aftermath of some sort of accident. Heck, even in the island where I live I certainly see accidents on a weekly basis and not far off daily. Luckily they tend to be low speed due to the amount of traffic congestion, but minibus accidents on the hills in and out of Patong are a regular occurrence.

Very sad state of affairs when Thailand's 2  English langiage newspapers make no mention of this horrific accident 10 hours after Asean Now report it. Just look at the crap on their web pages that is more important than 14 human probably Thai lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, 1duckyboy said:

Domestic or foreign tourists? It's usually stated in these type of stories. Hmmmm.

Does it really matter whether they were foreign of domestic tourist, there are 14 people that have lost their live due to the accident, whatever the cause of the accident. 

It's another totally preventable accident, with better laws, licensing, training and policing of the laws would be a good start, but as well all know from previous history this will not be happening any time soon. 

Condolences to the families of the deceased   

• Like 1

In all Western Nations of Europe & America/Canada & Australia this would be a serious major news. A full  enquiry into the circumstances of so much loss of life would be major judicial thing. Someone saying Thaland has 72 Million people & its likely things happen - well I doubt it. Germany, France, crumbling UK, USA, Canada, Japan - all have larger or similar populations & large fatalities are very rare. 

Many years ago I recall catching long distance overnight large bus from Pattaya to Chiang Mai  and that had I beleve 2 drivers. Back then I would not put my kids on any Minibus. Although I have used in recent years the coach from BKK airport  to Hau Hin which  seems well run with safety belts etc., If I was travelling long distances I think I would use a hire car with pleny of stops and rest overs. 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

"With a population of nearly 72 millions and buss going everywhere day and night such accidents, by statistics, are bound to happen, 

good thing it doesn't happened too often..."

What stumps me are the 3 'confused' reaction to my post above, what is there to be confused about guys or you don't understand the point i'm trying to make?

Confused you do not know Thailand has the second worst mortality rate on the roads in the world.

• Like 1

The BBC article is very clear on this as mentioned above. It certainly puts Thailand in its place regarding accidents & likely consequences. With this incident what's important is not just the fact that driver  may had sleep issues etc., its what the Thai government will do about it? What reforms can be made? With a new or more responsive government for ordinary people who travel like this - its to be hoped the politicians will pick it up. 

12 hours ago, smedly said:

yet more senseless loss of life on Thailands dangerous roads, you can make a guess what caused this to happen - driver fatigue - speeding - lack of driving skills - mobile phone use - mechanical failure etc etc etc but the fact remains - at least 14 people are dead due to all or a combination or one of the above

RIP

I'm curious if anyone knows if Thailand has any hours of service rules for commercial drivers, log book rules or anything along those lines. 

With a 01:00 crash I wonder if the driver was up all day then schedule to make this run without any rest beforehand.

Terrible situation reguardless of the cause. R.I.P.

9 hours ago, itsari said:

I have been on many bus trips around Thailand over nine years  and i must say that the driving has been good to excellent .

Mini bus drivers are a different breed all together . Avoid them if you can .

I tend to agree with you, I've travelled around Thailand on big busses and found the driving good, maybe a private bus, I have had trouble with them and would never get on one again. 

As for mini vans they are suicide rides with mad drivers, you sometimes strike a good one but most are lunatics, sorry to say. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Really? is that what you got from my post? justifying a horrible accident? you need to learn how to read posts and their true meaning before posting rubbish insinuations...

And you actually believe that this is a serious forum for the last 10 years at least ! Chill out its nearly Christmas . RIP the passengers

In 1992, after going past that "bus graveyard" on the highway at Ayuthaya and seeing all the wrecks there, I swore to myself that I'd never travel on a Thai coach again, ever.

Even the 'hotel pick-up' mini buses are a worry as they race each other to the Airport.

Everyone knows accidents rates are high in thailand,motorbike cars buses.Will it change i don,t know the reason the bus crashed will have many factors.It will happen again and the 7 days of new year hell will start soon and those deaths will be huge compared to this bus.Just the statisic of thailand

Edited by bristolgeoff

6 hours ago, iLuvThai said:

I'm curious if anyone knows if Thailand has any hours of service rules for commercial drivers, log book rules or anything along those lines. 

With a 01:00 crash I wonder if the driver was up all day then schedule to make this run without any rest beforehand.

what do you think, what is your gut feeling...........in the west we take this very seriously - get a 40b taxi home- no need to be

you wonder why the west has police  enforing traffic laws - if you don't get it then you are part of the problem, Thailand dons't get it, .......... they never will, a lot of the drunk drivers out there in the small hours are police, they think they are untouchable - in some ways that is true 

15 hours ago, jvs said:

They do not go over 90 and also the quality of the vehicles seems to have improved a lot.

They most certainly do on the 7 motorway.

Daily they blow past me like I'am standing still... I have cruise control set at 130km/h.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, iLuvThai said:

they do but like everything else to do with laws and enforcement it was forgotten the day the ink hit paper

On 12/5/2023 at 8:25 AM, ezzra said:

With a population of nearly 72 millions and buss going everywhere day and night such accidents, by statistics, are bound to happen, 

good thing it doesn't happened too often...

Sorry, but using this logic you'd expect 4 times as many crashes in the USA as happen in Thailand. I can't recall the last time a  bus crashed in America. It's all about regulations and maintenance. Sure, the bus looks pretty, but when was the last time the tires and brakes were checked? Not too mention the drivers......

21 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

yeah right the driver was probably reckless and swerving around cars at the fastest speed possible. They're too stupid or don't have enough emotional control to drive at safe speeds for the road conditions. We've all seen it a million times.

Not just the bus drivers

• Like 1