Bus accident in Prachuap Khiri Khan: 14 dead, 35 injured

webfact

As I have pointed out before, UK police refer to RTCs, Road Traffic Collisions, now not Accidents,  which imply no preventable cause. There is always a fault be it driver, maintainer, or road. Reduction or prevention depend on effective education and training improving behaviour, legislation allowing punishment and setting standards,  and enforcement catching offenders and creating a need for care, which are sadly lacking here.

Edited by Classic Ray
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which "statistics" are those that relate to accidents involving buses?

the ones that show thailand near the bottom of countries when it comes to driving. well known lou. so due to the fact that the driving here is abysmal at best my guess is that the driver was going to fast and lost control. i mean we see it many times a week on the roads here. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

46 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I wasn't aware that Thailand was the only place with "dangerous roads". I take it that there are no such accidents where you come from

actually bus accidents in the UK are rare and are usually very minor, not much in Thailand were the news reports several weekly and are not so minor

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, stoner said:
16 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which "statistics" are those that relate to accidents involving buses?

the ones that show thailand near the bottom of countries when it comes to driving. well known lou.

And not a single one of them indicates that buses are the big problem on Thai roads which is what was being referred to in my post and the posts to which I responded.  That's well known, stoner.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

The Tachograph will show all :whistling:   , When will they make it law to fit them to all HGVs and PSVs along with dash cams. Over to you PM and your so called Transport Minister who only seems concerned with Airports.

You need tachographs, seat belts, vehicle speed limiters and the host of other requirements for this size vehicle to operate safely 

• Confused 1

"Authorities are working to determine the factors leading to incident and will proceed in accordance with the law."

Looking at "Safety Issues of Bus Transport in Thailand - A Lesson Learnt From an In-Depth Accident Investigation," by Lamduan Srisakda 2010 https://ph01.tci-thaijo.org

Conclusion in part: "Several concerns on the integrity of bus structures, seats, and passenger restraints, precautions in case of bus fire, bus brake system and its maintenance standards and cares need to be addressed urgently." (my bold) 

In 2022 about 30 people not including insurgents were killed in Thailand's Deep South related to the Malay Muslim insurgency or about an average of 2.5 per month.

Do you think double deck tour bus deaths in Thailand has as much government priority than the insurgency? Just compare the decades State of Emergency and military budgets for the insurgency to the government transportation for bus safety and you'll see what lives matter.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

You need tachographs, seat belts, vehicle speed limiters and the host of other requirements for this size vehicle to operate safely 

It'd still go tits up.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And not a single one of them indicates that buses are the big problem on Thai roads which is what was being referred to in my post and the posts to which I responded.  That's well known, stoner.

who said anything about buses being a big problem ? only you. i said odds are that it was speed. then i said that thai driving is the problem. buses are included in that. 

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

"With a population of nearly 72 millions and buss going everywhere day and night such accidents, by statistics, are bound to happen, 

good thing it doesn't happened too often..."

What stumps me are the 3 'confused' reaction to my post above, what is there to be confused about guys or you don't understand the point i'm trying to make?

These icons might hold some minor value if you knew who posted them.

As it is now they're just visual noise.

I ignore them altogether.

There's no accounting for taste.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Silly comment".

Indeed it was, one of the silliest, so why did you both posting it?

Silly and sillier,,,but, as I've nowt constructive to contribute to this "thread", I'll get me coat.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

With a population of nearly 72 millions and buss going everywhere day and night such accidents, by statistics, are bound to happen, 

good thing it doesn't happened too often...

Do I sense a bit of sarcasm,...?...It does happen far to often,...sadly.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sig said:

Totally agree. The level of cynicism on here is verging on the point of mental instability and definitely unhealthy. To a degree, it can be understandable, but it is completely unnecessary to spout so much unbelievable cynicism at such a horrific accident, particularly when one does not know AT ALL what the cause may have been. The driver may have been very capable and responsible. There are a host of reasons this could have happened that don't include negligence or incompetence. And if that many people died in the accident, it's pretty likely that the driver is among the poor souls that perished. It is so incredibly crude to cast aspersions on the deceased, especially when it is complete conjecture, expecting the worst of the person about which one knows absolutely nothing. So many uncouth classless people seem to be drawn like a magnet to social media. What could be such a better point of access for a tighter knit community becomes a cesspool.

RIP to so many and condolences to those who knew them.

Hm,...Best response I read in a long time,...Thanks for that moment of Lucidity

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stoner said:

the rate of speed can be calculated by forensics. odds are driver was going way too fast and simply lost control. 

feel so bad for the common people who just wanted to go somewhere. :(

Why aren't the odds in favor of falling asleep? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Rip to the people who have died in this Tragic bus crash

I use the Suvarnabhumi Airport bus to Hua Hin and feel safe travelling seat belts provided and good drivers 

There will be bus accidents in the future hopefully not involving to many people dying or getting injured as many people travel by bus in Thailand 

I recently took the same bus and the comfort and service is impeccable with seat belts installed but the possibility of an accident cannot be ruled out if the physical condition of the drivers has not been well assessed as appears to have been the case in this horrific accident of this other company.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

What stumps me are the 3 'confused' reaction to my post above, what is there to be confused about guys or you don't understand the point i'm trying to make?

I just left a confused tag for the post you just made. I'm confused about your confusion. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, JCauto said:

You know it's a really bad one when there is no "the driver fled the scene." at the end.

I once did a night bus run from Buriram

to Pattaya. Spent the whole night poking the driver awake with my umbrella he kept falling asleep.  And he was furious with me when we got to Pattaya,

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, itsari said:

I have been on many bus trips around Thailand over nine years  and i must say that the driving has been good to excellent .

Mini bus drivers are a different breed all together . Avoid them if you can .

And i have been on many Mini bus runs from Samui to Malaysia with very good drivers.  So what is your point ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1