Sneaking around corners on motorbikes

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

IMO another problem is the positioning of the white line the male scooter rider is supposed to stop behind before entering the intersection. Impossible to see traffic coming either way from there.

yeah it does look too far back. Either way you'd stay in that lane and then move forward enough to see traffic. Even if he didn't enter the road another car could have come flying around the corner and smashed in to him there. Double stupid move on his part.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

The Thairath Online YouTube channel really is a treasure trove of road accident videos. They post these like once day as if it's even news anymore.

This is a typical driving pattern you see in Thailand and should be aware of. The guy on the motorbike is turning left at a junction and goes into the right lane then proceeds to sneak around the corner when entering the road. I don't know why people think this is a good idea but I see it all the time here. It's almost like "if I can't see them they can't see me" mentality. Total mental.

So in this incident the guy sneaks out into the road to see if he can make it across and hits a woman carrying a 1 year old child and who is also 7 months pregnant. Just consider the utter shambles of a scene but this could happen anywhere if you're not lucky and don't watch intersections like a hawk since these guys could be lurking around the corner.

As usual they present this matter of fact as if it's a legit accident instead of a pattern of driving which is totally normal here. No sessions to be learned it seems.

Like so many foreigners, you don't understand driving in Thailand or the video. THen try to make up some wierd assumptions as if you are superior to Thai people.

You do realise that you can watch the same sort of driving in videos from all over the world including UK?

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, stereolab said:

Not looking as they enter main roads is normal behavior here, the lady on the motorcycle is driving too fast as she approaches a hazardous area, a junction, especially considering her babies. 

I see people often enough carrying kids on motorbikes and they still go so fast if they had to break the kid would go flying. I don't think people here understand physics or if they do are they really just that foolhardy to take that kind of risk? None of it makes any sense.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

So in this incident the guy sneaks out into the road to see if he can make it across and hits a woman carrying a 1 year old child and who is also 7 months pregnant.

Sneaking probably isn’t the correct terminology. Carelessness. It appears he didn’t look to the left and turned right, seen the other bike and hesitated and stopped, then the approaching bike rider caught unexpectedly and rammed into him. It appears to be a rural area, common for folks here not taking full awareness here at intersections, approaching and crossing. See it everywhere, rural and urban, though bad drivers and traffic accidents are common everywhere on planet Earth 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kwilco said:

Like so many foreigners, you don't understand driving in Thailand or the video. THen try to make up some wierd assumptions as if you are superior to Thai people.

You do realise that you can watch the same sort of driving in videos from all over the world including UK?

Stop bars and give ways in the Uk are not positioned back from the junction. 

10 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

Yeah I sometimes think Aseannow is a disgusting trove of car accident threads but Thairaith takes some beating.  They have some gruesome footage ready for the morning viewers.

It's called confirmation bias.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Stop bars and give ways in the Uk are not positioned back from the junction. 

As someone who worked in a traffic engineers dept in the UK - I can see at a glance huge faults in the junction and also how people regard video - what we need is a series of shots towards th woman motorcyclist for about 200 metres before she comes in frame and a ground level 360 degree scan of the junction in particular the vegetation around it.

One also needs to bear in mind the Thai culture of driving like a boat on a river.

Most foreigners are totally unaware of this - Thai drivers of course aren't.

BTW - the male motorcyclist was stationary when the female and baby collided with him.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

Just now, Lacessit said:

Perhaps you can educate us with your brand of superior rubbish, then.

Such a passive aggressive cliche - a prelude to sealioning from somone without a coherent argument - why don't you go and educate yourself and find out rather than spouting nonsense about road safety before you know anything about it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Such a passive aggressive cliche - a prelude to sealioning from somone without a coherent argument - why don't you go and educate yourself and find out rather than spouting nonsense about road safety before you know anything about it?

Why don't you post something that proves your point, whatever it is? All you are doing is begging the question.

The coherent argument consists of comparative road deaths, which obviously does not suit your non-existent countervailing data.

Please explain what sealioning from somone is, my spellchecker is unable to cope with your brand of English.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why don't you post something that proves your point, whatever it is? All you are doing is begging the question.

The coherent argument consists of comparative road deaths, which obviously does not suit your non-existent countervailing data.

Please explain what sealioning from somone is, my spellchecker is unable to cope with your brand of English.

...my point is there is no point explaining this to people who can't understand - you are a case in point.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Yes I am the superior master race because I know how to stay in my lane and wait before entering the road.

You may know "how" but I doubt that you always do it the correct way.   Have you ever broken any traffic law, anywhere, or contravened any highway code-type of driving convention?    Thought as much.

Edited by Liverpool Lou