Not drinking

bignok

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I have found most drunks are so incoherent, it's torture trying to make sense of what they are saying. Probably why I have not been in a bar for 7 or 8 years.

I can understand that ....   I drink everyday but I don't get sloshed to the point of being incoherent,  I still have all my faculties in place. 

• Haha 1

I have just stopped drinking since November 27th and will not drink now before January 20th when I go to the UK.

My reason is to be comfortable with and lower my weight, I want to lose 7-8Kgs over the next 6 weeks or so,  it is not an alcohol-dependent issue.

I am slightly bored with beer at the minute and I try to avoid spirits. I do like Red wine but refuse to pay Thailand's prices.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Having a dozen soda waters listing to the guys talking crap must be entertaining. 

If the drunk has already had a few, they don't ever notice. Get a lemon in your club soda, drink with a straw....looks like a vodka & club soda.

31 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I've had  1 1/2 bottles already and another couple are on the way  ....   i'm half cut already.  

I finish work at 5pm.

3 min drive to 7/11, buy a few big bottles of Leo and settle in for the drive home !

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I have just stopped drinking since November 27th and will not drink now before January 20th when I go to the UK.

My reason is to be comfortable with and lower my weight, I want to lose 7-8Kgs over the next 6 weeks or so,  it is not an alcohol-dependent issue.

I am slightly bored with beer at the minute and I try to avoid spirits. I do like Red wine but refuse to pay Thailand's prices.

You are in no danger of gaining weight with spirits, unless you mix them with sugary soft drinks such as Coke. Zero carbs.

Beer is the worst in terms of carbs, the term beer gut came about for a reason.

I took the oath in 1988 and don't miss it at all.   Except when I've been out dancing and that doesn't happen much at my age.  Small price to pay for all the benefits.  Not to mention saving over $300,000 I would have spent on booze, based on my pre-oath booze expenses, adjusted for inflation over the past 35 years.

I don't recommend it for everyone, but if drinking is causing problems in your life, you have a drinking problem.  One of those fortunate problems for which there is a simple solution.  (Simple, maybe not easy.)

I'd also say that if you need booze to make life interesting, you're not doing it right.  But as long as the booze isn't causing problems, enjoy.  And I mean that sincerely.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

You are in no danger of gaining weight with spirits, unless you mix them with sugary soft drinks such as Coke. Zero carbs.

Beer is the worst in terms of carbs, the term beer gut came about for a reason.

I don't drink sugary stuff and stay away from spirits on medical advice

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I don't drink sugary stuff and stay away from spirits on medical advice

Ethanol is ethanol, irrespective of whether it is in beer at 4%, or spirits at 40%. The only reason i can think of for avoiding spirits is, when drunk neat, they are more damaging to the esophagus and stomach.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I finish work at 5pm.

3 min drive to 7/11, buy a few big bottles of Leo and settle in for the drive home !

Nothing wrong with driving home after work drinking a couple of beers. 

Its UnAustralian not to. 🇦🇺

Once home then a few more, dinner, then time for the fart sack. 

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nothing wrong with driving home after work drinking a couple of beers. 

Its UnAustralian not to. 🇦🇺

Once home then a few more, dinner, then time for the fart sack. 

Roadies FTW !!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

i know some alcoholics in denial, drink every day but don't acknowledge they have a problem, to be fair it's not a big issue until many years later. Actually they have some days off and think that means they're ok, big mood swings

I've drank just about every day of my life since I was 15. I'm now 79 yoa and in my opinion, fit as a fiddle. I jog every other day and weigh 71 kg. I see many unfit fat unhealthy men who don't drink. I know which I prefer. Alcohol is a great relaxant.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I've drank just about every day of my life since I was 15. I'm now 79 yoa and in my opinion, fit as a fiddle. I jog every other day and weigh 71 kg. I see many unfit fat unhealthy men who don't drink. I know which I prefer. Alcohol is a great relaxant.

are you a big drinker? depends how much of course to the effects 

49 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Sounds like bs unless it's light drinking. Joggers don't have 60 beers a week

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I guess it's just a matter of perspective but I think drinking nearly every day is boring. Sobriety seems like so much more fun, drinking occasionally as a change of pace is cool, drinking all the time is just nasty and toxic, and makes you feel like crap. 

• Like 1

I've barely drank for a month - trying to lose weight - and I don't really miss it now. 

Other enjoyable things to do, such as tasty food and pretty women.

Main difference I've noticed is much better energy levels throughout the entire week. Better sleeps. Lost some weight.

Amazing how just 6 pints on a Saturday afternoon would leave me feeling badly  hungover for a day or so and then drained of energy the rest of the week.

I'll probably have a couple now and again, unless I am in company.

8 minutes ago, stoner said:

yup. no hangover.

i mean i do have a beer when i go with my friends. literally a beer.

I'm thinking of changing to ganja, my liver is getting angry with me. 

How's the effects, 1 joint a night similar to a 6 pack of beer for a good time? 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

20 hours ago, bignok said:

After 2 weeks no booze it's boring to be honest. I don't need it daily but no alcohol is boring. Maybe 1 day a week is best.

I never touch the stuff, never bored. Life is too good to miss out on being zoned out on alcohol or dope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

6 pints is a lot of beer for someone over 50. Try just 2 pints.

Last night I had two pints of 4% beer. First drink in months. By midnight I felt like I had drunk 6! Horrible feeling and definitely not worth it. At least for me, being over 50 seems to make alcohol a low return activity.