Brit Charged Over Child’s Death

thaigerd

Brit charged over child’s death

Curry’s natural father Pissanu Badtharai, a Nepalese national, was outraged to learn that his son’s corpse was covered in bruises and scars as it lay in a casket at Wat Ketho awaiting cremation.

bull7182007-5840-1.jpg

KATHU: Englishman David Murray, 37, has been charged over the death of his eight-year-old stepson, Narid “Curry” Budtharai, who allegedly died after his head hit the floor while he was being beaten for being a poor student.

Pol Lt Col Passakorn Sonthikul of Tung Tong Police told the Gazette that the incident occurred at Murray’s condo home in Moo Baan Irawadee, in the Ketho area of Kathu District, about 9 pm July 12.

Curry’s mother, Ramida Murray, 32, a Thai national, told police that for three years she and Murray had been living together with her two sons from a previous marriage, Tony, 10, and Curry.

Curry, a student at Thairath Wittaya School, had been receiving poor grades for two years, said Col Passakorn, who added that last year Curry’s parents warned their son about getting poor grades at school.

A week before his death, Curry’s parents received a phone call from one of his teachers saying that Curry was having trouble keeping up at school, he said.

“On July 11, Murray repeatedly hit Curry with a length of blue PVC pipe,” Col Passakorn said. “Curry was not allowed to go to school the next day because of his bruises and not allowed any food,” he quoted Ramida as saying.

“Curry wet his bed and for this Murray beat him with the PVC pipe again until the pipe broke,” Col Passakorn said.

“His mother told Curry to apologize for the bed wetting, but he didn’t say a word. This made Murray angry again and he kicked the boy in the chest. Curry fell and was knocked unconscious when his head hit the floor,” he added.

Murray then stopped his attack and tried to revive Curry, but his efforts failed and Ramida took the boy to Phuket International Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

“Murray disappeared, taking some cash and jewelry from his home with him. He later sent an SMS to Ramida about 11 pm that night saying he was sorry for what he had done. He told her he was contemplating suicide,” Col Passakorn said.

Ramida tried to call him back but was unable to get through, he said.

“Ramida said that although David hit the child in anger she didn’t think he intended to seriously injure him,” he added.

On Friday morning, after Ramida was finally able to contact Murray by phone, the Englishman turned himself in at Tung Tong Police Station, where he was charged with murder without intent.

He had spent the night before at a guesthouse in Patong.

At Curry’s cremation at Wat Ketho, Curry’s natural father, Pissanu Badtharai, was outraged by his son’s death. Told by Ramida’s sister that Curry had died in an accident, K. Pissanu only learned of the bruises on his son’s body when he saw Curry’s corpse in the casket ready for cremation.

“I don’t understand why the doctors say that it was an accident. Surely they can see the bruises on my son’s body. I want doctors to perform another autopsy, so I will not let him be cremated,” said K. Pissanu, a Nepalese national.

However, after police showed K. Pissanu that the cause of death reported on the death certificate was “wounds sustained from blows” he allowed the cremation to proceed.

Tuanjai Thubklin, Murray’s neighbor in the same condo block, told the Gazette, “I have known them for a long time. On that day, my husband and I were going to the beach, but I got a call from Ramida saying that her son had died. So I went to see her and we took her son to the hospital.

“I am really shocked about this because Ramida’s family seemed happy. One time, though, I saw them hitting Tony. I told them that if I saw them hurting their sons again I would report them to the police. Ramida told me that their sons are naughty, so they had to punish them,” K. Tuanjai said.

“The boys never spoke about this to other people,” she added.

To substantiate his claims that his sons were being abused, K. Pissanu yesterday showed the Gazette Tony’s back, which was covered in bruises and scars.

“Tony is autistic,” said K. Pissanu. “He cannot talk. He can only make noises.”

Another neighbor, whose children were friends with Curry, told the Gazette that Curry sold keyring dolls outside the local 7-Eleven for pocket money every evening.

“When Prince of Songkhla university held events, he’d also sell the dolls there until 11 pm. He once asked my son to borrow money to buy snacks, but my son had none to lend him so he used some of the money he made from selling the dolls to buy snacks. After he did he asked my son not to tell his mother because he was afraid of how she would react,” she said.

Murray, who has yet to be arraigned, is being held at Phuket Provincial Prison.

From the PHUKET GAZETTE online

Edited by thaigerd

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beating a small kid over the poor grades?

and why thry did not help him with school and tuition?

not only the brutal stepfather but mother, instigating the beating and starving her child, should go behind thew bars for long

Sickening.

Would be interested to the background of David Murray. Sounds like he was a real upstanding member of the community, sending the children out selling at night and beating an autistic child and the other child for struggling at school. :o

Hope the full force of the law is bought down on both, i.e. the mother and the step father.

Will, probably find out this piece of Vermin has been staying illegaly in Thailand anyway.

RIP young lad.

Edited by mrtoad

I am so grateful that I had loving parents. I can't imagine what life would be like with parents like that. Sadly, more than a few children live that life.

What about his as#h#l# nepalese father? Tony already 10 years old (murry as stepfather for three years) and can't speak

just make noise? His natural father is responsible for what happended unfortunatly innocent as per law. when he left his children was 5 yo and 7yo, he didn't teach them how to talk and ask for help.

I don't even understand why police bothered to get in touch with such animal, he never did any good, even before when lived with his children and wife

Edited by BKKDUDE

What about his as#h#l# nepalese father? Tony already 10 years old (murry as stepfather for three years) and can't speak

just make noise? His natural father is responsible for what happended unfortunatly innocent as per law. when he left his children was 5 yo and 7yo, he didn't teach them how to talk and ask for help.

I don't even understand why police bothered to get in touch with such animal, he never did any good, even before when lived with his children and wife

Did you read the OP?

Tony already 10 years old (murry as stepfather for three years) and can't speak

just make noise?

“Tony is autistic,” said K. Pissanu.
when he left

How do you know he left?

I can't see anything in the article that paints the natural father in a bad light.

Or do you know something thats not in the article?

I am so grateful that I had loving parents. I can't imagine what life would be like with parents like that. Sadly, more than a few children live that life.

I think that is a bit harsh to judge the father of the boys. We do not know the circumstances of why they broke up.

There is no information in respect of what contact the father was having or if he knew what was going on,. Regardless, there is still no excuse whatsoever for the behaviour of Murray and the absol;ute shocking treatment that these children were receiving. Even if they could speak, they may well have been to scared to confide in anyone anyway.

I'd be more than happy to spend 20 minutes with Mr Murray, alone with a bit of blue piping in my hand, to teach him a lesson.

6:1

........ nepalese father who do takes care of the wellbeing of his kids something to do with your nationalism or racism?

You think his nepalese father cared for his kids? Man, you are really somthing. Do you know anything about rising family and values seriously?

Just received this mail from a friend:

Have a look what a neighbor(6 houses up the road.....) of me did last friday night ! And the best is he is allready out of Jail again. Isnt there anything which could be done for the death kid?

If anyone has an idea please let me know,

out of jail! wow!

this sort of crime disgusts me. david murray, who is, if we go by the reports here, clearly guilty, should not be released back into the world to possibly commit this crime again. this man lives just a couple of hundred metres from my house, so i would love to take to him with some blue pvc pipe. maybe get little curry's father to help me out.

may curry rest in peace and come back to haunt david murray for the rest of his miserable life.

6:1

........ nepalese father who do takes care of the wellbeing of his kids something to do with your nationalism or racism?

You think his nepalese father cared for his kids? Man, you are really somthing. Do you know anything about rising family and values seriously?

Where do you draw these inferences?

Unless you let us in on what you know that we don't your looking very foolish.

Regardless of which adults were <deleted> the poor boy didn't deserve what happened.

Cheers

out of jail! wow!

this sort of crime disgusts me. david murray, who is, if we go by the reports here, clearly guilty, should not be released back into the world to possibly commit this crime again. this man lives just a couple of hundred metres from my house, so i would love to take to him with some blue pvc pipe. maybe get little curry's father to help me out.

may curry rest in peace and come back to haunt david murray for the rest of his miserable life.

We must virtually be neighbours as this man also lives just a couple of hundred metres from my house.

From what I hear from his neighbours, both the mother and stepfather were known to hit their children. Strange thing is they say that apart from that he seemed like a decent guy. The mother has apparently already left for her home in esahn and I suspect is getting away lightly from her role in this nasty affair.

And the poor boy was from all accounts a nice kid.

I just don't understand how he is out of jail so quickly. I hope the police took his passport. If ever there was a flight risk, it's this case.

Nor do I understand how anyone could blame the deceased child's biological father. The man wasn't the one beating the child. This is truly horrific and I do not envy those of you that are this "alleged" thug's neighbours. As much as some of you may want to give him a beating, please don't. It won't change anything and will only cause you grief. (I admit that I too would like to show him what a PVC pipe across his face feels like.) This guy must be one <deleted> gem. I have a hunch his wife may have been beaten as well , so don't be so quick to condemn her. Battered spouses can do some terrible things after a period of abuse.

All in all a very depressing story. If any of you folks need to see some of the good things people are capable of, go read the animal forums. There are still some wonderful people around like elfie, nienke, bambi, november rain etc. that make the world a better place.

bkkdude obviously doesn't understand what he reads and his thinking is a little of the straith line

You lack common sense. Yes, my opinion of nepali father remains intact

I agreewith BKKDUDE, as the real father he should have had an active role in the kids life, especially when the kids are living with another man, the evil stepfather. Did he not EVER Notice a bruise or sign of abuse on the kids? Did HIS kids never tell them that they were getting so abused? THEY WERE HIS KIDS! HE has a responsibilty , even though they are not living with him, to ensure they are in a safe environment. Those poor children. She IS an UNFIT mother, and I can only hope the autistic boy receives some kind of love in a better environment.

And so what can be done to better regulate the kind of tourist that stay here long-term?

SCUM! He is pure scum!

This is sad. Poor boy. I would like to know if the law will protect the older boy - he has to deal with his autisim, the death of his brother and also displacement. If there is a way to help this family, it is him who needs it now.

I do agree that the natural father doesn not win and 'father of the year' points from me - simply for allowing his relationship with his sons to suffer - otherwise he would have known. But of course, I don't know the details. If something were to ever happen to my kids I'm certain I would know because I know my kids.

Unfortunatly I know personaly how terrible the law inforcement is here - and the ease for people to get away with murder. A good friend of mine was brutaly murdered - and the evidence to convict - or at least charge her killer was there. He was still able to 'escape' Thailand out of Bangkok international airport while under bail pending trial - passport in hand. I love Thailand, but justice for the inocent is not one of its strengths.

I just don't understand how he is out of jail so quickly. I hope the police took his passport. If ever there was a flight risk, it's this case.

Sadly thats not unusual for cases where accidental death (as it would seem this is percieved as) is recorded.

A drunk kid on a bike killed the daughter / niece of 2 mates of mine.. The police tried to just wash it away as an accident, they would not have taken a breath test unless forced, they tried to not pursue the case, they made every step of getting the guy to court a nightmare and seemed pissed off that the family wanted to see a drunk driver punished (just take some money and go away.. Ohh he can only afford 100k).. They let him out on bail and in the end he only got a couple of year sentence.

'Accidental death' seems very broad.

I have a hunch his wife may have been beaten as well

And just how did you come by this hunch? Utter rubbish, stick to the facts, which are bad enough.

I am sticking with the facts. Why don't you take 5 minutes and explore google. You can find many reports from multiple countries justice departments, research papers published in recognized medical journals and other associated documentation demonstrating a significant relationship between spousal abuse and child abuse (along with animal cruelty). Start with this statement from the IL DOJ review; Children of abused women are at high risk of being abused themselves. The rate of child abuse is from six to fifteen times higher in families where the mother is abused compared to families where the mother is not abused. Hence, there is confidence is stating that there is a possibility that this was the situation here. And as I stated, it was a personal hunch, not a statement that it occurred. The link has been demonstrated and is accepted by everyone and I mean everyone in health and social services because it is seen in patients/clients on a daily basis. It is rare that a man with a history of battering children does not have a history of battering women/partners and animal cruelty. I defy you to cite one peer reviewed study from an accredited source that shows otherwise.

Again I state, before jumping on the biological father, can any of you say for certain he had access to his children? A common complaint from divorced fathers is that they are cut off from the kids. It is a possibility here.

I have a hunch his wife may have been beaten as well

And just how did you come by this hunch? Utter rubbish, stick to the facts, which are bad enough.

I am sticking with the facts. Why don't you take 5 minutes and explore google. You can find many reports from multiple countries justice departments, research papers published in recognized medical journals and other associated documentation demonstrating a significant relationship between spousal abuse and child abuse (along with animal cruelty). Start with this statement from the IL DOJ review; Children of abused women are at high risk of being abused themselves. The rate of child abuse is from six to fifteen times higher in families where the mother is abused compared to families where the mother is not abused. Hence, there is confidence is stating that there is a possibility that this was the situation here. And as I stated, it was a personal hunch, not a statement that it occurred. The link has been demonstrated and is accepted by everyone and I mean everyone in health and social services because it is seen in patients/clients on a daily basis. It is rare that a man with a history of battering children does not have a history of battering women/partners and animal cruelty. I defy you to cite one peer reviewed study from an accredited source that shows otherwise.

Again I state, before jumping on the biological father, can any of you say for certain he had access to his children? A common complaint from divorced fathers is that they are cut off from the kids. It is a possibility here.

Hunches are not facts.

Googling about "tendencies" does not make it a fact that this man beat his wife.

Again, I say stick to the KNOWN facts and stop trying to sensationalize this episode.

Sensationalize? What's to sensationalize? A grown man beat a small child to death and some posters feel it necessary to blame the father instead of the real culprit.

Absolutely disgusting, perhaps not sensationalized, but disgusting nonetheless.

Sensationalize? What's to sensationalize? A grown man beat a small child to death and some posters feel it necessary to blame the father instead of the real culprit.

Absolutely disgusting, perhaps not sensationalized, but disgusting nonetheless.

I hope you don't think I'm one of them. I just object to other posters making up stuff and then passing them off as facts.