Mail forwarding services for Americans

wornoutcowboy

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Citibank does not allow forwarding services. They want a residential property where you live.

Yes, I know. That's why I use my sister's address in Colorado, which is a residential property. I need a forwarding service that my sister can mail the cards to and that will then forward the cards to me here in Thailand. It's a two-step process.

8 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Yes, I know. That's why I use my sister's address in Colorado, which is a residential property. I need a forwarding service that my sister can mail the cards to and that will then forward the cards to me here in Thailand. It's a two-step process.

Unless you live at your sisters house, it's a deception. Your better off just telling them you're on vacation and it was lost or stolen, and having them mail the card to Thailand. Your lying either way.

Edited by JimTripper

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Unless you live at your sisters house, it's a deception. Your better off just telling them you're on vacation and it was lost or stolen, and having them mail the card to Thailand. Your lying either way.

My sister's address is my legal residence in the United States, not just for Citibank. I'm registered to vote at that address, and it's the address I use when I file my income tax returns every year. It's not deceptive at all. Under Colorado state law, you can have a legal domicile at one address and physically reside at a different address. The problem is that Citibank has their own policies that have nothing to do with Colorado law. It's up to Citibank to decide where they can and cannot mail new credit cards, not up to any local government entity.

11 minutes ago, acepredator said:

My sister's address is my legal residence in the United States, not just for Citibank. I'm registered to vote at that address, and it's the address I use when I file my income tax returns every year. It's not deceptive at all. Under Colorado state law, you can have a legal domicile at one address and physically reside at a different address. The problem is that Citibank has their own policies that have nothing to do with Colorado law. It's up to Citibank to decide where they can and cannot mail new credit cards, not up to any local government entity.

If someone is processing your mail at your sisters address it should be no problem putting financial mailings into another envelope that any service will mail, or better yet just mailing it to you themselves. Not sure why you would need a forwarding service to re-mail it.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If someone is processing your mail at your sisters address it should be no problem putting financial mailings into another envelope that any service will mail, or better yet just mailing it to you themselves. Not sure why you would need a forwarding service to re-mail it.

My sister tried to mail credit cards directly to me here some years ago, but there was a problem due to the incompetence of the Thai Postal Service, so she won't try again. That's why I need a forwarding service and a two-step process. If you put a smaller envelope into a larger envelope, I think that the forwarding service would check to see what was in the smaller envelope. It seems to me that they cannot be so easily fooled. They need to know what they are forwarding, in case it is something illegal. Instead of trying to trick them, I would just like to find a service that will forward credit cards and checks. My sister could send the cards or checks to them, and they would send them to me. It's that simple. 

15 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my post and provide much helpful information. Time for me to sleep.

12 minutes ago, acepredator said:

My sister tried to mail credit cards directly to me here some years ago, but there was a problem due to the incompetence of the Thai Postal Service, so she won't try again. That's why I need a forwarding service and a two-step process. If you put a smaller envelope into a larger envelope, I think that the forwarding service would check to see what was in the smaller envelope. It seems to me that they cannot be so easily fooled. They need to know what they are forwarding, in case it is something illegal. Instead of trying to trick them, I would just like to find a service that will forward credit cards and checks. My sister could send the cards or checks to them, and they would send them to me. It's that simple. 

Sounds a little like your sister may not want to process the mail for some reason. You would have problems with the Thai Post no matter who mailed it. If it got sent back to the forwarding address from Thailand they would likely return it to your legal residence address and your sister so she would end up with it anyway.

Something seems fishy here with your story.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Mine doesn't, I checked it. It's one of those virtual office rental addresses, so maybe a loophole there.

Go here, enter your address. It will say yes or no under cmra section.

https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

I have tried this and only get my address back with zip + 4.

and the message

If more than one address matches the information provided, try narrowing your search by entering a street address and, if applicable, a unit number. Edit and search again."

Do you know if that means it is not seen as a CMRA?

I don't see a CMRA section at all.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, acepredator said:

I just had my brother-in-law in the US send me my new USA bank debit card, after several tries to send it by the bank to my address in Thailand--I have no idea why they never arrived but no attempts were made to use them.  In previous years the cards arrived without a problem.

Brother-in-law took the card and the information sheet out of the bank envelope and used a regular, plain hand-addressed envelope.  Sent the letter registered mail with the post office--cost $21-- and it arrived after a few weeks.  It could be tracked and it seemed to take the scenic route, though.  Going from Virginia to San Francisco and then I believe to LA before finally flying to Thailand, aftr a wait in LA.  

My bank has been issuing cards that expire in a year and I asked them, since getting the card this time has been a long, frustrating process that started in March, if they couldn't give me a longer expiration date.  They complied and my new card expires in 2026.  I wonder if your sister could maybe also use DHL or FedEx and put the letter in one of their mailing packets that can be tracked.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, acepredator said:

That's sounds like a great service, thanks for the information. Do they provide you with an actual street address or only a P.O. Box?

It is a street address with a box# but it doesn't matter how you write your box number.

Apt 4782

Unit 4782

All are ok, the mail service just wants the number.

The address MailLink uses is:

848 N Rainbow Blvd

Las Vegas, NV 89107

They are registered as a Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA) so anyone, such as your bank, could tell that it is not a residence regardless of how you write the box number.

FYI, PO Box specifically refers to boxes at a US Post Office. Boxes at CMRA's are called Private Mail Box (PMB).

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/11/2023 at 11:45 AM, Smokin Joe said:

It is a street address with a box# but it doesn't matter how you write your box number.

Apt 4782

Unit 4782

All are ok, the mail service just wants the number.

The address MailLink uses is:

848 N Rainbow Blvd

Las Vegas, NV 89107

They are registered as a Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA) so anyone, such as your bank, could tell that it is not a residence regardless of how you write the box number.

FYI, PO Box specifically refers to boxes at a US Post Office. Boxes at CMRA's are called Private Mail Box (PMB).

I will look into using MailLink in the future. Thanks very much for your extremely helpful information. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GypsyT said:

I checked many in CA, NV,OR,WA and UT but wasn't happy with any of them.

Too risky for me.

Finally got a person to take care of my mailings etc. Works well. I pay $ 500/yr, cash.

I have also checked many different forwarding services that I'm not happy with. Unfortunately, I don't have "a person" in America to collect all my mail and send it to me here in Thailand. That's why I submitted my post to ask if any of the posters to this thread can recommend a service that I might not be unhappy with. I've received several very helpful replies to my post. Many thanks to the members of Thai Visa, as always.

12 hours ago, wornoutcowboy said:

So, which company can I use in order to get credit and debit cards.  If the company is a registered CMRA there seems to be a problem right?

I don't think the problem is having your bank mail credit or debit cards to a CMRA. I assume each bank has its own policy concerning where it will send credit or debit cards. The problem I have discovered is that the CMRAs that I've checked won't forward any kind of financial material to me here in Thailand. That's why I submitted my original post to ask the posters on this thread if they know of a CMRA that will forward such materials to Thailand. There are several helpful suggestions in the above posts. One in particular seems to be MailLinks in Las Vegas. I will check to see if they can forward financial materials to Thailand. If you want to know if your bank will send items to a CMRA, I suggest that you contact your bank and ask if they will do so.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:21 AM, newnative said:

I just had my brother-in-law in the US send me my new USA bank debit card, after several tries to send it by the bank to my address in Thailand--I have no idea why they never arrived but no attempts were made to use them.  In previous years the cards arrived without a problem.

Brother-in-law took the card and the information sheet out of the bank envelope and used a regular, plain hand-addressed envelope.  Sent the letter registered mail with the post office--cost $21-- and it arrived after a few weeks.  It could be tracked and it seemed to take the scenic route, though.  Going from Virginia to San Francisco and then I believe to LA before finally flying to Thailand, aftr a wait in LA.  

My bank has been issuing cards that expire in a year and I asked them, since getting the card this time has been a long, frustrating process that started in March, if they couldn't give me a longer expiration date.  They complied and my new card expires in 2026.  I wonder if your sister could maybe also use DHL or FedEx and put the letter in one of their mailing packets that can be tracked.

In the 29 years that I've lived abroad I've used my father's address in Colorado as my home address until he died, and then my sister's address until now. Citibank will no longer allow cardholders to use an overseas address, but that was never a problem for me. The problem occurred when my sister tried to send a new credit card and blank checks, along with some other mailings, to me here. She put all the envelopes in a Flat Rate Envelope provided by the USPS, at about the same cost that you mentioned, and mailed the envelope to me here. She had sent several of the Flat Rate Envelopes before without a problem. This time, however, the envelope was lost for about six or eight weeks. Then it ended up being returned to her in Colorado in a terribly mangled condition. It seems that the machinery of the Thai Postal Service chewed up the envelope really badly. Instead of delivering it to me here in Chiang Mai, they sent it all the way back to Denver. That's the efficiency and intelligence of the people at the Thai Postal Service.

After all the hassle involved in sending the Flat Rate Envelope, my sister has refused to send anything else again. So the problem is not with using FedEx, DHL, or the USPS. The problem, instead, is that I only had one person in America who could help me, my sister, and she will no longer do so. That's why I'm looking into an alternate solution to having my Citibank credit cards and blank checks sent to me here.

On 12/11/2023 at 12:49 AM, JimTripper said:

Sounds a little like your sister may not want to process the mail for some reason. You would have problems with the Thai Post no matter who mailed it. If it got sent back to the forwarding address from Thailand they would likely return it to your legal residence address and your sister so she would end up with it anyway.

Something seems fishy here with your story.

Yes, you're correct. The reason that my sister won't process my mail anymore is that she went through a huge hassle last time trying to mail a Flat Rate Envelope from the USPS to me, but thanks to the inefficiency and stupidity of the Thai Postal Service it never arrived.  As I mentioned in a previous post, the envelope was returned to her terribly mangled after about six or eight weeks. My sister was frustrated and angry at having gone through some effort to mail something to me, so she won't help me again. The question is: If the Thai Postal Service could send the envelope all the way back to Denver from somewhere here in Thailand, why couldn't they just have sent it to me here in Chiang Mai? The only thing fishy about my story is that it involves the seemingly inept and idiotic people who work for the Thai Postal Service.

17 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Financial documents are the *only* thing I have forwarded to me in Thailand by travelingmailbox.com.  Includes new credit cards, checkbooks, and blank checks.  I can deal with everything else by having it scanned without having it physically forwarded.

Thanks very much for your reply. That's just the recommendation that I was looking for. I will look into travelingmailbox.com right away. 

18 hours ago, wornoutcowboy said:

So, which company can I use in order to get credit and debit cards.  If the company is a registered CMRA there seems to be a problem right?

I have been using mail forwarding services as my primary address for 30 years. I have never had one refuse to send credit cards or anything else to an overseas address.

The only issue I ever had was with Regions Bank. They wouldn't let me change my mailing address from one CMRA to another without proof of a residential address.

I now use Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU) for everything. Two credit cards, debit card, mortgage, and a line of credit. NFCU is the largest Credit Union in the US and they don't care if you openly use a CMRA. They also have branches overseas in places with military bases such as Korea, Japan, and Singapore. They have 24/7 phone support. I can call them at 3AM (Eastern US Time) and do a wire transfer to my Thai bank account over the phone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a question about these mail-forwarding services. Do you notify all your credit cards and banks, the SS office, the driver's license office, etc. about your new mail forwarding address? I have used them in the past to forward my business correspondences (long time ago, even checks people sent to me) to these virtual mail boxes. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I have a question about these mail-forwarding services. Do you notify all your credit cards and banks, the SS office, the driver's license office, etc. about your new mail forwarding address? I have used them in the past to forward my business correspondences (long time ago, even checks people sent to me) to these virtual mail boxes. 

I have a similar question as to whether a mail forwarding service can be used for Social Security and Medicare related mail.

• Thanks 1

On 12/9/2023 at 2:07 AM, wornoutcowboy said:

I have had a relative handling my mail but that will be ending soon.  I am looking for a good mail forwarding service that will scan my mail if needed.  Also one that would be able to mail over credit cards...There are tons on the internet, but I am looking for one that someone has used.  Any tips?  Thanks  

I used Mailboxes, Etc. for years until the office I used closed, then I switched to Post Net. I've got a good relationship with the Owners, and they are excellent and do virtually anything I ask. Typically, they send the non-junk mail (I trust them to make that determination) to me monthly via FedEx or DHL (premium service was chosen by me). This includes credit cards. I've been doing this for 25 years and it works very well for me. It maintains a USA address for me. This coupled with a Skype local phone number nearly makes me a resident Houstonian! I know quite a few people using "Relatives" and I've found my paid service is much more reliable. More expensive, I admit, but meet's my needs and requirements perfectly.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, acepredator said:

In the 29 years that I've lived abroad I've used my father's address in Colorado as my home address until he died, and then my sister's address until now. Citibank will no longer allow cardholders to use an overseas address, but that was never a problem for me. The problem occurred when my sister tried to send a new credit card and blank checks, along with some other mailings, to me here. She put all the envelopes in a Flat Rate Envelope provided by the USPS, at about the same cost that you mentioned, and mailed the envelope to me here. She had sent several of the Flat Rate Envelopes before without a problem. This time, however, the envelope was lost for about six or eight weeks. Then it ended up being returned to her in Colorado in a terribly mangled condition. It seems that the machinery of the Thai Postal Service chewed up the envelope really badly. Instead of delivering it to me here in Chiang Mai, they sent it all the way back to Denver. That's the efficiency and intelligence of the people at the Thai Postal Service.

After all the hassle involved in sending the Flat Rate Envelope, my sister has refused to send anything else again. So the problem is not with using FedEx, DHL, or the USPS. The problem, instead, is that I only had one person in America who could help me, my sister, and she will no longer do so. That's why I'm looking into an alternate solution to having my Citibank credit cards and blank checks sent to me here.

Thanks for your message.  I will be in your same boat when my debit card expires in 2026--my brother-in-law is moving back to Thailand in 2024.  Maybe let your sister cool off a bit and then see if she might send the cards and check with DHL or Fed Ex.   She wouldn't be dealing with the US or Thai post offices.

• Thanks 1

Sending CC by mail is so risky because US banks still don't use PIN code! When I demand they give a number it but the card still works without it.

When in EU I get kicks off offering to fill up my friends gas tanks and show there in no PIN code involved. Just pop it in and fill up to any amount.

They just can't believe it... anyone finding my CC can do the same.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Yes, everything. Social Security, Medicare, Military Pension, Credit Union.

In Florida you can get a drivers's license and register a vehicle and they will let you use an out of state CMRA as a mailing address. I own a townhouse in Florida. I needed that to get the license and vehicle registration but any renewal notices are mailed to my Las Vegas mailing address.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, paulbrow said:

I've got a good relationship with the Owners, and they are excellent and do virtually anything I ask. Typically, they send the non-junk mail (I trust them to make that determination) to me monthly via FedEx or DHL (premium service was chosen by me).

This coupled with a Skype local phone number nearly makes me a resident Houstonian!

I'm assuming you're talking about one of the Houston TX locations of the mail handling and photocopying store chain PostNet?

What's their monthly pricing to provide you an ongoing U.S. mailing address? And then what kind of additional pricing for sending you periodic FedEx / DHL mail forwarding envelopes?

-----------------------------

One of the issues people always have be mindful about with mail forwarding operations is that they often tend to be classed as "commercial" instead of "residential" addresses in the postal system.

That usually isn't a problem for existing financial accounts a person may have and then do an address change for... But it can be a problem when trying to open a new financial account, or ordering purchases, when the address is rejected because it's recognized as a "commercial" address.

• Thanks 1