Mail forwarding services for Americans

wornoutcowboy

On 12/13/2023 at 7:34 AM, newnative said:

Thanks for your message.  I will be in your same boat when my debit card expires in 2026--my brother-in-law is moving back to Thailand in 2024.  Maybe let your sister cool off a bit and then see if she might send the cards and check with DHL or Fed Ex.   She wouldn't be dealing with the US or Thai post offices.

In my experience, I've found that Thai Customs scrutinizes packages sent by DHL or FedEx much more closely than something sent through the USPS. I tried to have a package containing supplements sent from Amazon via FedEx, but the Customs Department seized it, saying that I needed an import license to receive the supplements. Later I ordered the exact same supplements from a company in India. They sent the package by India Post, and the Customs Dept. didn't seize it. It seems that a package sent by any national postal system will get through, whereby DHL or FedEx packages will potentially be seized. That's why I had my sister start sending items via the USPS. Maybe a small envelope containing only credit cards or blank checks might get through, even if it's sent by DHL or FedEx. I'll check with my sister even though it takes her a very long time to cool off from anything that makes her angry. Thanks very much for taking the time to submit your suggestion.

12 minutes ago, acepredator said:

In my experience, I've found that Thai Customs scrutinizes packages sent by DHL or FedEx much more closely than something sent through the USPS. I tried to have a package containing supplements sent from Amazon via FedEx, but the Customs Department seized it, saying that I needed an import license to receive the supplements. Later I ordered the exact same supplements from a company in India. They sent the package by India Post, and the Customs Dept. didn't seize it. It seems that a package sent by any national postal system will get through, whereby DHL or FedEx packages will potentially be seized. That's why I had my sister start sending items via the USPS. Maybe a small envelope containing only credit cards or blank checks might get through, even if it's sent by DHL or FedEx. I'll check with my sister even though it takes her a very long time to cool off from anything that makes her angry. Thanks very much for taking the time to submit your suggestion.

Thanks for the info.  Hope things work out with your sister.

• Thanks 1

I used americasmailbox.com in South Dakota which served me well, scanned my mail and shredded mail as requested.

As a previous poster stated SD allows you to get residency and a DL, one night in 5 years in a hotel and you are in a tax free State.

But on the downside, none of these services will get you around the increasing stranglehold of the financial institutions being able to detect virtual addresses.

In these troubled times they are really clamping down on any possibility of money laundering, or worst still moving terrorist money around 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2023 at 12:05 AM, GypsyT said:

Sending CC by mail is so risky because US banks still don't use PIN code! When I demand they give a number it but the card still works without it.

But they have the world's best fraud protection. By US law, all cards (including Visa and MasterCard-branded debit cards) have a maximum fraud liability of $50. Due to competition, the banks offer zero-liability cards. One phone call, and the charges are removed. Once, I lost my card in a Bangkok hotel, and someone charged me 80,000 baht purchasing gold. I made one call, and the charges were removed. It happened multiple times in the US and UK and all charges were removed. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

But they have the world's best fraud protection.

You are right and that's why I use my US cards most to get airline points.

But that protection is not free; Fees are going up every year or so. Cards used to be free. Interest rates go up too but I always pay the balance in full so it doesn't hurt me.

Bank are always winning -;)

• Agree 1

On 12/14/2023 at 11:51 PM, GinBoy2 said:

But on the downside, none of these services will get you around the increasing stranglehold of the financial institutions being able to detect virtual addresses.

In these troubled times they are really clamping down on any possibility of money laundering, or worst still moving terrorist money around 

So while you pretty much endorsed America's Mailbox service in South Dakota above, were you also suggesting/implying that you'd also run into some complications with some U.S. financial entities not accepting their addresses???

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So while you pretty much endorsed America's Mailbox service in South Dakota above, were you also suggesting/implying that you'd also run into some complications with some U.S. financial entities not accepting their addresses???

Yeah I was.

This is an ongoing issue with all the virtual addresses. 

Financial institutions have over the past few years become increasingly good at detecting CMRA addresses, regardless of whether they 'look' like a regular street address, and look at the multitude of threads that have been on here regarding banks, brokerages dropping folks due to a lack of a physical US address.

It's the same with VOIP phone numbers, they look real but many banks will detect them and they won't work for 2 factor authentication.

So my recommendation for Americas Mailbox was that it works great for screening and forwarding mail, does enable you to become a resident of a tax free State fairly easily.

But they like ALL the CMRA forwarding services run into the issues I highlighted above

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

But they like ALL the CMRA forwarding services run into the issues I highlighted above

I think you're overgeneralizing a bit...

I've used the same Texas mailhouse for the past 15 years, and during that time, have used it to open numerous new U.S. bank and credit union accounts, and had to update many more existing accounts of all kinds when they relocated once a few years back...

And in all that time and all those contacts, I think I've only had one instance where I was declined on the basis of the address, and that was once as an existing Capital One account holder where I applied online to open a new savings account with them, and they challenged me over the address for that, but not for the other existing accounts I already had with them at the time...

Other than that, over the past 15 years, all of my financial and other encounters have not had any problems with acceptance of the TX address, including multiple new bank and credit union accounts opened over the past couple years.

Though I think it does help in such matters if you have a state driver's license with an address that matches the one you're using for mailing purposes.

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm assuming you're talking about one of the Houston TX locations of the mail handling and photocopying store chain PostNet?

What's their monthly pricing to provide you an ongoing U.S. mailing address? And then what kind of additional pricing for sending you periodic FedEx / DHL mail forwarding envelopes?

-----------------------------

One of the issues people always have be mindful about with mail forwarding operations is that they often tend to be classed as "commercial" instead of "residential" addresses in the postal system.

That usually isn't a problem for existing financial accounts a person may have and then do an address change for... But it can be a problem when trying to open a new financial account, or ordering purchases, when the address is rejected because it's recognized as a "commercial" address.

Yes, correct, Houston. I think I pay about $90/year for address and box. FedEx and DHL run about $50 for an International Envelope, can fit a lot of mail. Naturally this can be cheaper by USPS, I simply prefer the premium services.

Occasionally, maybe 10% of the time, some businesses have an issue with the commercial location, but I've always been able to work around it. After doing this for 25 years I've gotten pretty good at it. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, paulbrow said:

Yes, correct, Houston. I think I pay about $90/year for address and box. FedEx and DHL run about $50 for an International Envelope, can fit a lot of mail. Naturally this can be cheaper by USPS, I simply prefer the premium services.

Occasionally, maybe 10% of the time, some businesses have an issue with the commercial location, but I've always been able to work around it. After doing this for 25 years I've gotten pretty good at it. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions.

My USA2Me account / address in Houston runs a flat $10 a month for their plan that I selected, plus typically about $40 per FedEx or DHL economy intl envelope  at that price containing 6 or so forwarded envelopes, or slightly more for heavier weights.

Have had very few issues over the years using their address with any U.S. financials, but I tend to stay away from the US mega financials for other reasons.

Some retailers won't send purchases / packages to them, but I only use them for letter mail anyway, as I use a much more affordable service provider for my shopping purchase mail forwarding.

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2023 at 3:06 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My USA2Me account / address in Houston runs a flat $10 a month for their plan that I selected, plus typically about $40 per FedEx or DHL economy intl envelope  at that price containing 6 or so forwarded envelopes, or slightly more for heavier weights.

Have had very few issues over the years using their address with any U.S. financials, but I tend to stay away from the US mega financials for other reasons.

Some retailers won't send purchases / packages to them, but I only use them for letter mail anyway, as I use a much more affordable service provider for my shopping purchase mail forwarding.

The 2 seem fairly comparable and reliable. I tend to use surface mail for purchases, nothing terribly expensive mind you, a couple hundred $ at the most. Have never had one go astray or missing. Maybe just sheer luck. Mail parcels tend to always surprise me on how quickly they get here. And I do have things sent directly to my home, even have it as my address with the SSA.

I guess I've been lucky over the years. It often bemuses me to read some of the tales here, mostly how complicated the folks seem make the simple issue of sending/receiving mail from home.

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas (or other applicable holiday) and a Happy New Year!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...