Mail forwarding services for Americans

wornoutcowboy

I use anytimemailbox.com. Pick the city/zipcode and they'll have a bunch of providers in that area that you can choose. They sub out the processing to smaller shops that normally are shippers with some private mailboxes. The price is dependent on the provider you use. I'm at about $100/yr. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I use my daughter ! I know its  bothersome but I dont trust anybody!

I hope you find someone here (recommended)thats been doing it for a while!

If you find someone or business ,investigate them!

They could potentially make your financial life effed. Due diligence.

I recently got a notice from my Private Mail Box provider that as of Jan 1 2024 the USPS is requiring notarized proof of identity and proof of a physical address in the USA. The proof of address requires a lease or utility bill etc.  I could not get it accomplished from here without a lot of hassle, so I shifted my mailing address to a friend's home. 

"Homeless" can register to vote in any chosen zip code. I find it strange it's now more difficult for state residents without a home to receive mail.  Following this thread see what you learn.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bubbha said:

I believe this is an ongoing requirement (not new for 2024).

I use St. Brendan’s Isle (SBI) in Florida. I'm very happy with their service.

https://www.sbimailservice.com/

Thanks for the recommendation, will check them out. They will scan and forward all mail received? Mainly interested in a physical address for SS documents and contact. I don't want to rely on friends, or have them reading my financial documents.

Dakota Post is another option. I pay about $150/year, depending on how much I have scanned and emailed. They shred also, everything upon request.

I'm not from SD, but use this service because they'll setup what you need to get a license & become a resident. For residency you have to physically be there for 1 day & night. Not for the mail service alone.

It's one of the better tax friendly States.

• Thumbs Up 1

Check the mailbox address against the usps address database. They have a code there for mailbox addresses. You don't want those. Thst's how the banks and others know it's a non residential forwarding address and won't open accounts or whatever. Get one with the residential code. Mine has the residential code and banks think i live there in the usa.

Edited by JimTripper

I use Ipostal1.com… It cost $99 a year for my Phoenix domicile address (They have addresses in most every state)… They notify you of any arriving mail by email and app with a photo of the outside envelope and you can decide to discard, scan the inside or forward (for an additional fee)

Btw… I would recommend you pick a forwarder who does not have a PO Box or suite address associated with the delivery address they assign you… It is less likely to be rejected as “not a physical address”

Edited by BKKKevin
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm using the mail box service that looks like a physical address. Uses Apartment number. When I was renewing my DL using it as physical, the lady looks at me and asks if I live in a box. I had a back up address but damned funny.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Check the mailbox address against the usps address database. They have a code there for mailbox addresses. You don't want those. Thst's how the banks and others know it's a non residential forwarding address and won't open accounts or whatever. Get one with the residential code. Mine has the residential code and banks think i live there in the usa.

These mail receiving agents are called Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA) by the USPS. Each CMRA must register with the USPS.

Using an Apt # , or just the street address, does not hide the fact that the address is a CMRA.

There are some recent changes to the USPS regs about this made in July 2023.

The USPS website:

USPS CMRA Rules

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Smokin Joe said:

These mail receiving agents are called Commercial Mail Receiving Agency (CMRA) by the USPS. Each CMRA must register with the USPS.

Using an Apt # , or just the street address, does not hide the fact that the address is a CMRA.

There are some recent changes to the USPS regs about this made in July 2023.

The USPS website:

USPS CMRA Rules

Mine doesn't, I checked it. It's one of those virtual office rental addresses, so maybe a loophole there.

Go here, enter your address. It will say yes or no under cmra section.

https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thanks 1

On 12/9/2023 at 2:07 AM, wornoutcowboy said:

I have had a relative handling my mail but that will be ending soon.  I am looking for a good mail forwarding service that will scan my mail if needed.  Also one that would be able to mail over credit cards...There are tons on the internet, but I am looking for one that someone has used.  Any tips?  Thanks  

I have tried many of these forwarding services during the years I've lived in Thailand, but the problem with all of them is that they will not forward new credit cards or a book of blank checks from my bank, or any other type of financial documents. Is it possible that one or more of the forwarding services mentioned in this thread will forward financial documents from my U.S. bank to me here in Thailand?

8 minutes ago, acepredator said:

I have tried many of these forwarding services during the years I've lived in Thailand, but the problem with all of them is that they will not forward new credit cards or a book of blank checks from my bank, or any other type of financial documents. Is it possible that one or more of the forwarding services mentioned in this thread will forward financial documents from my U.S. bank to me here in Thailand?

Mine does. They scanned a credit card and forwarded checks over.

Try telling them to not open mail and just forward it. How would they know what's in there? They can't just guess what's in your mail. If they are just guessing it's a pretty unprofessional service.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Mine does. They scanned a credit card and forwarded checks over.

Try telling them to not open mail and just forward it. How would they know what's in there? They can't just guess what's in your mail.

I would prefer to have the actual credit card in case I need to use it at an ATM, not just the information contained on the card. Also, if the envelope is coming from Citibank, the forwarding service will assume that it has some kind of financial material contained within. Anyone can feel the new credit card while holding the envelope. The forwarding service can figure out what's inside the envelope without me telling them. 

7 minutes ago, acepredator said:

I would prefer to have the actual credit card in case I need to use it at an ATM, not just the information contained on the card. Also, if the envelope is coming from Citibank, the forwarding service will assume that it has some kind of financial material contained within. Anyone can feel the new credit card while holding the envelope. The forwarding service can figure out what's inside the envelope without me telling them. 

They scanned it, then mailed the physical card and checks to me. Look for another service, I have never heard of places that won't forward mail or pick and chose what to forward.

Maybe get a virtual office if it's still a problem that does international forwarding. There's no way a virtual office won't forward financial documents. Mine costs $39 a month.

Edited by JimTripper

7 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

They scanned it, then mailed the physical card and checks to me. Look for another service, I have never heard of places that won't forward mail or pick and chose what to forward.

Maybe get a virtual office if it's still a problem that does international forwarding. There's no way a virtual office won't forward financial documents. Mine costs $39 a month.

Thanks for the advice. May I ask the name of the virtual office that you use?

15 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Thanks for the advice. May I ask the name of the virtual office that you use?

Why don't you ask the bank to mail you a replacement card to Thailand? They do it all the time. Say you lost it on vacation.

Do you already have the bank account, or are you not able to open one because they won't accept your address?

You need to have a licensed business in the state to use mine.

Edited by JimTripper

25 minutes ago, acepredator said:

I've been with MailLink in Las Vegas for about 10 years. They will forward anything that is not blatantly illegal. Lots of great features such as an email anytime new mail is received. Scans of mail is $1 per page. Forwarding mail is actual cost plus $2.

Only issue with then is a recent change in ownership. All annual fees have increased recently. My annual fee for a "medium" size box was just increased 100% from $150 to $300 per year. They forward my meds with no problem but I don't get anything dodgy, just blood pressure meds, statins, metformin, flowmax, and eliquis.

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Why don't you ask the bank to mail you a replacement card to Thailand? They do it all the time. Say you lost it on vacation.

Citibank recently instituted a policy that anyone with an overseas address has had their credit cards cancelled, so they will not mail a credit card to any address outside of the U.S. In order to maintain my card, I had to use my sister's address in Colorado. That's why I need a forwarding service or virtual office, as you suggested, to get my new credit cards.

6 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

I've been with MailLink in Las Vegas for about 10 years. They will forward anything that is not blatantly illegal. Lots of great features such as an email anytime new mail is received. Scans of mail is $1 per page. Forwarding mail is actual cost plus $2.

Only issue with then is a recent change in ownership. All annual fees have increased recently. My annual fee for a "medium" size box was just increased 100% from $150 to $300 per year. They forward my meds with no problem but I don't get anything dodgy, just blood pressure meds, statins, metformin, flowmax, and eliquis.

That's sounds like a great service, thanks for the information. Do they provide you with an actual street address or only a P.O. Box?

12 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Citibank recently instituted a policy that anyone with an overseas address has had their credit cards cancelled, so they will not mail a credit card to any address outside of the U.S. In order to maintain my card, I had to use my sister's address in Colorado. That's why I need a forwarding service or virtual office, as you suggested, to get my new credit cards.

That's incredible. I think they are referring to the legal address (your sisters) and not the mailing address??? How would people get replacements on vacation if it were lost or stolen??

Go into your account online and change both addresses to your sisters. Then call them and tell them you need a replacement card sent to your hotel in Thailand because it was lost or stolen on vacation. With the new card comes a new number and expiration date usually with several years validity.

Edited by JimTripper

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

That's incredible. I think they are referring to the legal address (your sisters) and not the mailing address??? How would people get replacements on vacation if it were lost or stolen??

A check of the Citibank homepage says that if you lose your card, call the customer service number. What happens then I don't know because I've never lost my card. I don't know what would be involved in having a card mailed overseas.

I only have one address on file with Citibank, which is my sister's address. I don't think there's a distinction between legal address and mailing address. They're the same. 

Anyway, I'm not going to lie to Citibank, where I've been a customer for 35 years. I would prefer to just deal with them in an honest and legitimate manner. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, acepredator said:

A check of the Citibank homepage says that if you lose your card, call the customer service number. What happens then I don't know because I've never lost my card. I don't know what would be involved in having a card mailed overseas.

I only have one address on file with Citibank, which is my sister's address. I don't think there's a distinction between legal address and mailing address. They're the same. 

Anyway, I'm not going to lie to Citibank, where I've been a customer for 35 years. I would prefer to just deal with them in an honest and legitimate manner. 

Ok, good luck buying a property in the Usa with a big mailbox.

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Ok, good luck buying a property in the Usa with a big mailbox.

Thanks, but I don't need a property in the U.S.A. What I do need is a forwarding service that will send credit cards from Citibank to me here in Thailand, which Citibank will not do. That's why I need a forwarding service. Those who have posted to this thread have provided the names of many new forwarding services for me to check out in hopes that at least one of them can give me the service that I need. Many thanks to all of them.

12 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Thanks, but I don't need a property in the USA What I do need is a forwarding service that will send credit cards from Citibank to me here in Thailand, which Citibank will not do. That's why I need a forwarding service. Those who have posted to this thread have provided the names of many new forwarding services for me to check out in hopes that at least one of them can give me the service that I need. Many thanks to all of them.

Citibank does not allow forwarding services. They want a residential property where you live.

Some forwarding services work, but it's a deception, not something that's allowed.

You want to do things the right way, so save your money for a property purchase. Or, if you decide to fudge a little after all, give them a call and have a new card sent to you on vacation like I explained.

Edited by JimTripper