Did you try retirement in another country before Thailand and why did you leave?

sidjameson

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

I tried many years ago but moved back to my home country and I am quite happy with it.

Yes your case is interesting because you moved back to country side Australia I believe with your Thai wife who works there 

Ok guess the lure of the money in Australia has something to do with it .

Do you plan on going back to Thailand once the wife retires ?

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have heard so many pommys retire to Spain ?

Big issue now is Visa, as a general Pommy tourist you can only spend 90 days out of 180 at any given time. So you could stay for upto 180 days in any given year, but in 2 tranches, with 90 days outside of Spain (includes the mainland, Canary and Baleric Islands) and the other 26 countries that are part of the Schengen agreement. So you can't flip-flop between say, Spain and France.

Recently both Spain and France have voiced financial concerns over the impact of lack of UK tourists, as the UK isn't in the Schengen Agreement, to create an exception to allow UK passport holders the right for 180 continuous days at a time. Knowing the speed of EU law changes, great idea, but won't happen over night.

Like Thailand, there are other types of Visa to circumvent this issue, but they are based on financial status, education or marriage.

Wouldn't hesitate in a moment if I could do 180 days at a time, 6 months in Spain or France, 3 months in Malaya and 3 months in Thailand.

Was surprised recently on having to visit Hong-Kong,  you get 180 days as standard with a UK Passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Ive visited but never lived ,is it that bad ?

I didn't like Cebu or Manila 

A lot of poverty in PI, all foreigners are seen as rich. It got old quick. 

Might be different on a small island, but I like to stay in the cities.

1 hour ago, Trippy said:

A lot of poverty in PI, all foreigners are seen as rich. It got old quick. 

Might be different on a small island, but I like to stay in the cities.

Some vlogger interviews people in Dumaguete, every interview is positive. I wonder whether he is picking positive people to interview or if it's really that great. Anyone been to Dumaguete?

• 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I have been to many place for long time stays.  My first was Thailand. Then Mexico, Then S.A..  All over SE Asia.  For the last 16 years. I have finally picked Colombia (for now).

Thailand, easy women.. over the top.  But, visas and dealing with immigration is not my cup of tea. Air pollution is extremely bad.

S.A., crime is bad here. Need to be careful especially at night. Women are not easy like in Asia.

I finally chose a country with good air, cheap, and easy to get back home as a US citizen.  

I now spend six months in S.A. and 2-3 moths in the US each year, then I try to spend 3 months in a new location each year.

Where in Colombia? Women not easy or difficult? 🤣

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Where in Colombia? Women not easy or difficult? 🤣

Depends what you want, you want an easy hooker , then easy. And about the same as Thailand. All over the place here and beautiful.  

You want a decent woman, not like Thailand for sure.  In Thailand every woman from shop worker , teacher, what ever will hop in be with you in my experience. In SA not so.

Edited by Gknrd

On 12/10/2023 at 2:05 AM, JimTripper said:

Liked Hanoi but they stopped giving out the long term visas.

VN never gave out long term visas. They don't have a retirement visa either. Pity.

For me the issue with Hanoi is the air pollution and near constant grey skies / drizzle, esp in winter and the overbearing humidity.  OK city to visit, but to live?

At least with a place like Chiang Mai the air quality might be crap but the skies are generally brighter.

Anyone here living in CM comment on the AQI so far in December?  Thanks

4 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Time to dust off this ol' tale:

Got the seven-year itch after living in Thailand. Having grown tired of all the bureaucratic nonsense, I pulled up stakes and moved to Zihuatanejo, Mexico. It is NOTHING like that depicted in "The Shawshank Redemption." Six weeks later I was back in LOS with a renewed appreciation.

And every time I visit family and friends in the US, I am reminded why I could never move back there.

Gawd bless LOS.

I tried Mexico City and hated it. Something about the toilets never worked 🤷🏻‍♂️.

TH is only country that got past research or a recon visit.  If I have no desire for an extended holiday there, after a few visits, no need to consider for a retirement destination.

Though most scratched off the 'list' of possible locations, was more about weather.   Even the USA (home country).   Tornado alley & hurricanes along SE USA & Caribbean, to Yucatan and even W coast of Mexico.   

Political unrest & drug cartel/kidnappings of S. American was a negative.   Even though I would have picked up Spanish again easily.

Cold air from Canada half the year scratched a good portion of the USA also.  

If not for the wee one, may not have remained in TH, so I can understand those that don't retire overseas because of family.   Half year of smog in NE of TH, and the brutal heat & humidity can definitely turn a person off of TH.

When I retired in NZ, mainly due to a quite serious health problem, I had already tried Rarotonga (Cook Islands) and although it is the most exotic/beautiful island you could ever imagine, the hospital facilities there are less than basic, and that put me off.

I also tried Malta, and I didn't like it, and I still can't put my finger on exactly why?? But it just didn't seem to gel with me, so Thailand it was, where I knew I could get some fairly good medical treatment if necessary, and I had visited before and made a few friends.

Haven't regretted that as yet, so will probably see my time out here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I tried Mexico City and hated it. Something about the toilets never worked 🤷🏻‍♂️.

I had to make several trips to Mexico city (American embassy) and it was the same for me. The whole of Mexico had a certain dirty tinge like nowhere else I've been.

The ONLY decent part of Zihuatanejo was this woman who cooked up two HUGE colanders  of tamales every night, 7 for $1 USD. She got plenty of business from me.

23 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I had to make several trips to Mexico city (American embassy) and it was the same for me. The whole of Mexico had a certain dirty tinge like nowhere else I've been.

The ONLY decent part of Zihuatanejo was this woman who cooked up two HUGE colanders  of tamales every night, 7 for $1 USD. She got plenty of business from me.

I would live in one of those open air villa condo's in Puerto Vallarta. The problem is they are pretty expensive and rates jump way up in high season. Probably $1,500+ a month for a mid range one.

I did a couple months periodically in PV over there and it was nice, but pricey long term.

Another thing that bothered me about Mexico was the PDA's (Public displays of affection). People smooching and grabbing all over each other everywhere. After being in thailand it felt repulsive. It's much more then in the Usa or anywhere else I have been.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

So far I've tried 3 countries in Northern Europe. Can't take the weather... rheumatism is killing me when cold & damp. Summers are wonderful and inexpensive since I like country side.

I also tried Big Island of Hawaii. Too expensive and no longer nice vibe after 9/11. Too many rich mainlanders with mega funds killed relationships with locals with tasteless McMansions and pushing their ideas and ways of life.

I had great time in California for 36 years, and made a small fortune without starting with a big one, but it's a big mess now. No value for money at all.

Last winter I spend 2 months on Cran Canaria island and it was near perfect except hi cost of lodging. It would be cheaper to buy on long run. However, an island is always an island... easy to get bored. I still love to take long car trips. I may return soon to mainland Spain, to Malaga, to see if I can take cool and damp weather. There are great deals since thousands of Brits are leaving thanks to gift from Boris - Brexit.

Thailand, and the whole Asia, is too messy and disorganized to me to live permanently. My hot temper and tongue get me in trouble with brown and green men.

The weather is too humid and hot except 3 moths or so.

I like to visit and enjoy company of young friendly ladies. They are the main reason I'm here.

Still I think often;

The US has near everything I want but not in the same state!

But I hate war crazy leadership and politics on every level. People used to be "us", now so divided and unfriendly to each other it may lead to civil war II.

So, what to do? One friend said: "Just keep moving around. You never can settle down on any place." Sad but maybe truth.

One thing is sure; I never will die slow death in any kind of nursing home!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GypsyT said:

So, what to do? One friend said: "Just keep moving around. You never can settle down on any place." Sad but maybe truth.

I agree with this - if you can afford it.

I've worked in South Africa, Cameroon, Caribbean and Poland and would not consider retiring to any of them.

Now that I'm retired I considered Thailand but there are too many drawbacks because of my health needs so now I think that I am in the perfect situation. I rent by the year on Phuket and spend eight months a year there - the rest of the year, mainly during the summer, I spend in the UK.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/25/2023 at 8:09 PM, Gknrd said:

I have been to many place for long time stays.  My first was Thailand. Then Mexico, Then S.A..  All over SE Asia.  For the last 16 years. I have finally picked Colombia (for now).

Thailand, easy women.. over the top.  But, visas and dealing with immigration is not my cup of tea. Air pollution is extremely bad.

S.A., crime is bad here. Need to be careful especially at night. Women are not easy like in Asia.

I finally chose a country with good air, cheap, and easy to get back home as a US citizen.  

I now spend six months in S.A. and 2-3 moths in the US each year, then I try to spend 3 months in a new location each year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-68022288

Be careful out there. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Be careful out there. 

I lived in mexico and some guy on the beach selling trinkets stood by me the whole time. He would not leave or move. They call them sea anenomies and poncho villa.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1