This is why I don't care for Australia

People (mostly women) in Europe often ask me why I, a seasoned traveler, never visited Australia. I sometimes reply I live in TH where I keep meeting lots of Australian men who will go to great lengths to never have to go back to Australia again. So, I add, there must be some ill wind for males in Australia, and what is detrimental to Australian men would also be to me.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Can you give a few examples? 

What is Australia doing right these days?  I think not much. 

Reasons to be proud of and care about Australia include the following:

Stable democracy- there are individual policies I disagree with but relatively free elections and a free press - becoming less common in the world - extreme views and parties still not part of the mainstream. You can still get rid of the parties that aren't cutting it as we saw with the Liberals being thrown out. Might be Labour next.  Labour tried some serious tax reform a couple of elections ago but the voters said no so what are you going to do. 

Fairness - rights for workers, freedom to protest, decent police force in each state, less corruption than other countries.

Government support - Help is there to those who need it.  Need better oversight but better to have it than not. Free or cheap health care in many situations. 

Economic opportunity - tough for the younger ones to buy a house but not hard to get employment and get ahead if you are motivated. Tax high but not that high. 

Environment - some bad things here but still have clean beautiful well looked after beaches and forests.

Prospects look good - more revenue mainly from mining than expected in recent budget update - debt is an issue due to some poor decisions and hangover from covid but most countries in the same boat.

Freedom - people talk about nanny state, can feel that way a bit with some regulations here and there that can seem over the top, but normally have safety of people in mind e.g. building regulations - road rules. I get annoyed at 40 km zones here and there but if you take it easy, no big deal, and surely better than having a free for all of speed and drink driving leading to much larger fatalities etc. 

That's a start. The bad things are there but they are doing things right too.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, JackGats said:

People (mostly women) in Europe often ask me why I, a seasoned traveler, never visited Australia. I sometimes reply I live in TH where I keep meeting lots of Australian men who will go to great lengths to never have to go back to Australia again. So, I add, there must be some ill wind for males in Australia, and what is detrimental to Australian men would also be to me.

Easy, older single men in Australia usually cannot get laid. Accordingly, move to places like Thailand where it is relatively inexpensive to fulfil their sexual needs.

Just compare daily life in Oz for 90% of the population with daily life in Thailand for 90% ...

Any rational person would conclude that Oz is one of the half-dozen best places in the world for most people to live most of the time. As every survey of life, society, culture & economics suggests ...

(So why do I spend my old age living in the backblocks of Thailand? Because my Khmer b/f couldn't cope in Canberra and away from his family. And because books are easily transported.)

Edited by mfd101
  • Love It 1

6 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Just compare daily life in Oz for 90% of the population with daily life in Thailand for 90% ...

Any rational person would conclude that Oz is one of the half-dozen best places in the world for most people to live most of the time. As every survey of life, society, culture & economics suggests ...

(So why do I spend my old age living in the backblocks of Thailand? Because my Khmer b/f couldn't cope in Canberra and away from his family. And because books are easily transported.)

Would you be able to afford to live in Oz ?

22 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Would you be able to afford to live in Oz ?

Yes, noting that - being now a non-resident for tax purposes - I have to pay more Oz tax while living in Thailand. On the other hand, living here is cheaper than in Oz ... so it about pans out.

Personally, I'm very happy living here and my Oz friends visit from time to time to see what life amongst poor peasants is like. Answer: Anthropologically fascinating, but in any case I have my books and my lover. For life.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Easy, older single men in Australia usually cannot get laid. Accordingly, move to places like Thailand where it is relatively inexpensive to fulfil their sexual needs.

Prostitution is legal in some states in Australia, and it's still easily found in the state where it's not legal.  

After lady drinks and bar fines, the price isn't much different. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Prostitution is legal in some states in Australia, and it's still easily found in the state where it's not legal.  

After lady drinks and bar fines, the price isn't much different. 

Nonsense

• Agree 1

On 12/11/2023 at 6:31 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Just listening to talk back radio this morning, apparently and I haven't bothered looking for a news link,but apparently they the Australian government have stopped some Australia party in the UK on Australia Day that has been going on for decades because of PC 

This is why I want to get out of Australia and I don't care anymore.

I know it's offensive on Australia Day to carry the Aussie flag and I know that some government departments won't be flying it not encourage their employees to wear it 

I just couldn't careless anymore 

There was a young Greens politician on ABC Radio this morning blaming the baby boomers for the problem Australia is in , ageism is acceptable in Australia 

So because of the doubtful points you mention you are leaving Australia. 

Bye, do you need a lift to the airport? (But prove to me you have a one way ticket first.)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

So because of the doubtful points you mention you are leaving Australia. 

Bye, do you need a lift to the airport? (But prove to me you have a one way ticket first.)

Do you live in Thailand?  If you do, why shouldn't the member leave, as you have.  If you don't, why are you posting on this website? 

• Haha 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:12 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Reasons to be proud of and care about Australia include the following:

Stable democracy- there are individual policies I disagree with but relatively free elections and a free press - becoming less common in the world - extreme views and parties still not part of the mainstream. You can still get rid of the parties that aren't cutting it as we saw with the Liberals being thrown out. Might be Labour next.  Labour tried some serious tax reform a couple of elections ago but the voters said no so what are you going to do. 

Fairness - rights for workers, freedom to protest, decent police force in each state, less corruption than other countries.

Government support - Help is there to those who need it.  Need better oversight but better to have it than not. Free or cheap health care in many situations. 

Economic opportunity - tough for the younger ones to buy a house but not hard to get employment and get ahead if you are motivated. Tax high but not that high. 

Environment - some bad things here but still have clean beautiful well looked after beaches and forests.

Prospects look good - more revenue mainly from mining than expected in recent budget update - debt is an issue due to some poor decisions and hangover from covid but most countries in the same boat.

Freedom - people talk about nanny state, can feel that way a bit with some regulations here and there that can seem over the top, but normally have safety of people in mind e.g. building regulations - road rules. I get annoyed at 40 km zones here and there but if you take it easy, no big deal, and surely better than having a free for all of speed and drink driving leading to much larger fatalities etc. 

That's a start. The bad things are there but they are doing things right too.

In general, I agree with your list, but would like to point out that I think you will find the positives you mention for many are also the negatives for many.  Example:  government support = higher taxes for workers.  Australia has a generous welfare system, which many believe is being abused.  Eg. dole bludgers.  

I note you also address this double edged sword in some of your list.  Example: Freedom.  I'm one of those that see Australia as a nanny state.  In my opinion, we are over governed, over policed, over regulated, and pay some high taxes.  For every new law that is passed, we lose more of our freedom.  Also, the whole "woke" thing is going from bad to worse back there.  

As you mentioned, housing is just killing the next generation coming through.  Basically, slaves to the bank for 30 years, yet, Australia has so much land.

I still remain patriotic, but I just don't see Australia as The Lucky Country anymore.