I need help and suggestions what to do next

Puppa

4 hours ago, Puppa said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Lock which bank account?   You didn't send your money to a bank account you sent it to WU.

I just suppose: as WU keep copy of the passport, police can check it and find if he has a bank account and maybe lock it till get money back.

If his bank was not part of the fraud, there's no reason for the account to be frozen.  Bank accounts aren't subject to freezing just because the account holder allegedly committed an offence.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You remember incorrectly, I've been here over two decades and also have numerous friends in the Thai Police force and am very familiar with how they deal with these issues. 

I agree with much of what you write about 'franchises' but also know there are no patterns and rules... 

I regularly hear stories from my friends of how they've dealt with an issue I would usually expect them not to be bothered with. 

Thus: Report and see what happens. The worst that can an happen is the Ops time is wasted, but at least a report is filed.

I also agree - follow up with Western Union - see if they can provide the ID of the person who picked up the money. 

Perhaps then take this to the Police so they have more to go on if they feel inclined to do so. 

you are a dreamer in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:
7 hours ago, Puppa said:

I am new of the forum and so thank you for this great place to discuss about Thailand.

I know: I am stupid.

I sent 5000 THB via western union for book a place in Phuket. Arrived noone at the airport and the contact on whatsapp blocked me.

I have name, surname, address and WhatsApp phone number.

There is nothing I can do? Police, online antifraud, something like that? I arrived yesterday and be there three months. Thank you.

You can try but you wont get anywhere. There needs to be a law, an enforced law, that says companies can not share or sell your data.

What has that got to do with the OP?

Can I please explain something to Richard & the OP ....

You cannot ' freeze '   someone bank account without a court order requested from a certified judge.

You cannot have WU reveal passport details without a court order.

The police will not act unless there is a carrot in it for them or a court order. 

do you understand Thailand     ??

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Can I please explain something to Richard & the OP ....

You cannot ' freeze '   someone bank account without a court order requested from a certified judge.

There have been recent changes and victims of scammers and fraudsters can report the fraud to the Anti Online Scam Operation Centre (1441)/bank to which they were directed to send their money and the bank will freeze the account immediately with the hope of preventing its withdrawal/onward transmission.  A couple of thousand have been frozen in the past few weeks already.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There have been recent changes and victims of scammers and fraudsters can report the fraud to the bank to which they were directed to send their money and the bank will freeze the account immediately with the hope of preventing its withdrawal/onward transmission.  It has been reported a few times already.

thanks,  now I remember reading something about that

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There have been recent changes and victims of scammers and fraudsters can report the fraud to the bank to which they were directed to send their money and the bank will freeze the account immediately with the hope of preventing its withdrawal/onward transmission.  It has been reported a few times already.

Thats good info....  Something I had no idea was possible. 

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
29 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Thats good info....  Something I had no idea was possible. 

Calling 1441 can get an account frozen in 15 minutes, apparently, according to reports in the Bangkok Post.

For the doubters, google "2000 scam-hit bank accounts frozen".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Calling 1441 can get an account frozen in 15 minutes, apparently, according to reports in the Bangkok Post

ok ...  I've got about 4  accounts I want frozen ....   wow !     just by calling 1441  .....        amazing Thailand ..

and what number do I call to get rid of someone  ?      

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:
15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Calling 1441 can get an account frozen in 15 minutes, apparently, according to reports in the Bangkok Post

ok ...  I've got about 4  accounts I want frozen ....   wow !     just by calling 1441  .....        amazing Thailand ..

Wow, amazing Steven100.   Only if they've scammed you out of money, not on demand just because you want to have a go at someone.   

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It would surprise me if it is that easy... a spurned ex could make life difficult.

I imagine (*guess), that any such 'freeze' would at least require a police report.

Unless of course the system is slightly different and it is only the 'funds of that specific' transaction which are frozen...  Could it be that perhaps ?

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

All the guys who've paid their latest squeeze electronically are now quietly $hitting it !!!... 

I wonder it it's possible to transfer funds to someone via internet banking but the receiver gets no digital or other traceable details of the sender?

On 12/11/2023 at 3:01 PM, richard_smith237 said:

When scammers are out there, of any kind....   Do you consider it best we just forget it, ignore it, don't worry about it, even if we are scammed...     Or do think it would better if these things were reported so the police have an opportunity to do something about it ?

We still don't need to get worked up about it.. but IMO, its still best to report it so something can or could be done about the issue.

If you spent any time at all in Thailand you should know the police aren't going to  bother with a trifling crime of 5,000 Baht involving a falang.    They may take a report but unless tea money is forthcoming nothing  further will develop.     

• Like 1

3 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

If you spent any time at all in Thailand you should know the police aren't going to  bother with a trifling crime of 5,000 Baht involving a falang.    They may take a report but unless tea money is forthcoming nothing  further will develop.     

I'll ignore the 'if you've spent any time in Thailand at all - odds are I've been here longer than you... not that it matters as a point scoring exercise - I could have spend 50 years here and still never scratched the surface...  however, in repeating bar-stool myths, thats probably more the case for you...  

Having spent over two decades in Thailand I have a lot of Thai friends, and many friends in Thai Police Force, I'm well aware of the 'randomness' with which they can decide to act on something - I do agree that in most cases, they'll just no be bothered, but that by no means they'll not be bothered all the time with all the issues... 

I am often surprised to hear how they've dealt with an issue I would usually expect them not to be bothered with...    often something innocuous, harmless, but it struck a nerve or caught them at time when they felt like doing something. 

One thing I know for sure: Doing nothing and not reporting this potential crime has a 100% guarantee of yielding no result. 

There is at least the possibility of a response if this is reported. 

With that said - the Op hasn't returned to this thread - so I doubt he's bothered to push this further anyway.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:16 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I'll ignore the 'if you've spent any time in Thailand at all - odds are I've been here longer than you... not that it matters as a point scoring exercise -

You are welcome to ignore or not ignore my comment.   This is an anonymous forum and everyone is free to offer his or her opinion.     You  are fully entitled to disagree with me however your opinion doesn't necessarily have any more or less validity than mine.

I'm curious as to what makes you think your presence in Thailand is greater  or longer than mine.    :coffee1:

On 12/11/2023 at 12:18 PM, cdemundo said:

I don't think this was stupid, if you sent more money to the same guy that would be stupid.

Experience is a teacher, lessons can be expensive.

Look for someone who has references, how did you find this person?

Usually can find recommendations on a Thailand forum like this one for reputable businesses.

For the future and for others, one approach is reserve inexpensive hotel or guest house for a few days and look for a rental once you are here.

I have had good luck with AirBnb but that seems to have changed recently.

I know, too late with this advice.

It's worth a try to get your money back somehow but don't set your expectations too high.

Don't let this spoil your visit.

It happens, it happened, move forward and enjoy Thailand.

I always use Agoda.com and check the hotel reviews. But book Agoda through tripadvisor as it is always cheaper.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 8:49 AM, steven100 said:

so the OP got his 5,000 baht back because he hasn't responded to any posts.   

Well done RTP ....  you must have acted so quick on this one ....   :w00t:

I manage to get back 2000 of the total 5000 and he promised me to give me back the other 3000 thb in two weeks time. Should I wait and trust him or file a report anyway?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Puppa said:

I manage to get back 2000 of the total 5000 and he promised me to give me back the other 3000 thb in two weeks time. Should I wait and trust him or file a report anyway?

well.. if true ..well done sir.

How did you contact the guy?   It is very strange to get a hotel deposit via WU ...  NEVER do this again. 

so if the guy is legit then that's great ....  and your very lucky because normally he'd be long gone.

and forget the police report as they'll do nothing for that small amount ..... 

so wait a couple of weeks and see if he comes good with the other 3000 ...  

if he doesn't just contact him again if you can and ask him why wasn't it sent as promised.