I need help and suggestions what to do next

Puppa

1 hour ago, Puppa said:

I am new of the forum and so thank you for this great place to discuss about Thailand.

I know: I am stupid.

I sent 5000 THB via western union for book a place in Phuket. Arrived noone at the airport and the contact on whatsapp blocked me.

I have name, surname, address and WhatsApp phone number.

There is nothing I can do? Police, online antifraud, something like that? I arrived yesterday and be there three months. Thank you.

I don't think this was stupid, if you sent more money to the same guy that would be stupid.

Experience is a teacher, lessons can be expensive.

Look for someone who has references, how did you find this person?

Usually can find recommendations on a Thailand forum like this one for reputable businesses.

For the future and for others, one approach is reserve inexpensive hotel or guest house for a few days and look for a rental once you are here.

I have had good luck with AirBnb but that seems to have changed recently.

I know, too late with this advice.

It's worth a try to get your money back somehow but don't set your expectations too high.

Don't let this spoil your visit.

It happens, it happened, move forward and enjoy Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

First, find out if the facebook page is still up and running.

Then, head to the nearest Tourist Police, and inform them this is online fraud, and they should request help from the online fraud department.

Also, ask them if they will help you file a written complaint, either there or at a regular police station.

Wait a few days, if no reply, go to the media, all news outlets.

Good Luck, but if you do the above, I think you will get your money back.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

So go about your business in thailand without using the internet, really?

Good luck with that.

You dont send money to people by Western Union unless you know them.

Hotels are booked on websites like Marriott with a credit card.

WU well known for scam may be crims sat up in a room near anywhere in the world.

The money is gone.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Puppa said:

I am new of the forum and so thank you for this great place to discuss about Thailand.

I know: I am stupid.

I sent 5000 THB via western union for book a place in Phuket. Arrived noone at the airport and the contact on whatsapp blocked me.

I have name, surname, address and WhatsApp phone number.

There is nothing I can do? Police, online antifraud, something like that? I arrived yesterday and be there three months. Thank you.

I can only suggest you contact the tourist police on 1155. They do speak English. So as asked have you got the hotels name even? go there if you have and phone the Tourist police from there.

Edited by brianthainess

2 hours ago, Puppa said:

Do you think having the information, police will don't do nothing?

This is an unknown - They lazy people will just assume the police will do nothing as that allows them to make dismissive wiseA$$ remarks... 

These people have never had any exposure to the Police in similar situations and just make comments based on their bigotry. 

The reality is different and the Police may well deal with this issue.

The Police could be lazy and disinterested, or they may understand your anger at being scammed and they may well want the details and to investigate - its something you'll never know until you try.

Question: IF the 'owner' or person you sent money to a Thai or a foreigner ?

The reason I ask: Is that IF its a foreigner they may be 'working' without a permit and that is something immigration may look upon seriously. 

Alternatively, if its a Thai, who is scamming foreigners, this may be something the regular police look upon seriosly, especially if you sell the 'giving Thailand a bad name' approach.

You'll never find how how this could be resolved if you don't try. 

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1