I need help and suggestions what to do next

Puppa

2 hours ago, Puppa said:

I am new of the forum and so thank you for this great place to discuss about Thailand.

I know: I am stupid.

I sent 5000 THB via western union for book a place in Phuket. Arrived noone at the airport and the contact on whatsapp blocked me.

I have name, surname, address and WhatsApp phone number.

There is nothing I can do? Police, online antifraud, something like that? I arrived yesterday and be there three months. Thank you.

https://thaipoliceonline.go.th/

But it’s in Thai language.
The number to call for advice is 1441

Chances of getting your money back would be close to zero, but worth perhaps logging a report with the details the scammer used. It may help later on down the line. 

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

excuse me  .....  who the heck do you think you are commenting on other replies. 

I am me... on a public forum designed for discussion where anyone can interact - who are you ?... some fool who thinks only specific people can comment on public forum ?

Its rather stupid of you not to use the private messaging function if you only want a response from the person you replied to. 

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it's nothing to do with bigotry .....   it's based on fact and evidence of past scammers.

do you really believe he is going to get his money back  ?

I find it hard to believe that some on here think he may get his money back ......   that's just dreaming 

And yes... the manner in which you suggest the police will ignore any report is bigotry - you have no idea how the police will respond.

I don't think the Op will get his money back - but he should still make a report. 

Just because you are too lazy to do so, does not mean others are.

I don't believe the Police will just ignore him with the same the flippant manner you respond to the suggestion of going to the police and making the report. 

Also, in reporting such 'scams' (if it is a scam), then that paves the way for fewer scams in the future.

Perhaps there are already 5 or 6 police reports of this guy having done the same thing before and this is the tipping point for the police to do something about it... 

Or, perhaps this same guy has done the same thing numerous times before and no one reported it because they thought nothing will ever be done...  and so the police have never been given a chance to do something about it...  and here we are in a situation which may well have been avoided, if people were not so dismissive and lazy.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

No, the police will not do anything it's very difficult to trace people online, they're hiding behind VPNs and they may even be offshore. You are the one who is responsible for protecting yourself and your own money, you find out about somebody who's advertising online, you then go online and look them up, you look up the name of the resort, you get whatever information you need, you look at reviews, and then you make an informed decision.

Anytime you send money to an unknown party with no references, no reviews, and no online information, you're just giving away your money. 

Let us go. You got scammed. Game over. You are lucky. A good friend of mine just got scammed for 170,000 baht last week for some stupid online music app where he thought was really going to make money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, steven100 said:
35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Op - ignore this fool...  He's clearly making his remarks based on bigotry - he rarely posts anything positive about Thais or Thailand. 

excuse me  .....  who the heck do you think you are commenting on other replies. 

He's a member of a forum that you posted on and he is entitled to respond to any posts...including yours.   Who the heck do you think you are?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Lock which bank account?   You didn't send your money to a bank account you sent it to WU.

I just suppose: as WU keep copy of the passport, police can check it and find if he has a bank account and maybe lock it till get money back.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Puppa said:

So do you think I can go at any police station and fill a complaint?. I think WU has the guy passport number. So they can track him back, even lock his bank account till he doesn't pay me back.

First WU, can not lock any bank accounts. Second, you can go to the police, and you can post online or contact the press. I believe they can track the guy down, which would force him to pay you back. You mentioned passport number as well. Did you transfer to a fraudulent foreigner? If so police will surely like to help you, to put their screws into him. 

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No, the police will not do anything it's very difficult to trace people online, they're hiding behind VPNs and they may even be offshore. You are the one who is responsible for protecting yourself and your own money, you find out about somebody who's advertising online, you then go online and look them up, you look up the name of the resort, you get whatever information you need, you look at reviews, and then you make an informed decision.

Anytime you send money to an unknown party with no references, no reviews, and no online information, you're just giving away your money. 

Let us go. You got scammed. Game over. You are lucky. A good friend of mine just got scammed for 170,000 baht last week for some stupid online music app where he thought was really going to make money. 

I've never used WesternUnion, when collecting money, would there be a record of ID ??

i.e. would WesternUnion keep a record (scan copy) of the ID used to collect the money ?

Thus there is a phone number:

- maybe ore maybe not registered to the scammer (probably not). 

- WesternUnion transaction - Could they have sent a proxy to collect eh money ?

IF the police wanted to, they could track down this guy, it takes leg work and I agree that it is unlikely they'll peruse due to it being a low sum of money..  But, if this guy has been at the same scam for a while the police may already have a record of him. 

It is at least worth reporting and as you mention, the lesson is learned, but this being repeated so many times on the thread is telling him to shut the barn door after the horse has bolted - the Op already knows his mistake. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I am me... on a public forum designed for discussion where anyone can interact - who are you ?... some fool who thinks only specific people can comment on public forum ?

Its rather stupid of you not to use the private messaging function if you only want a response from the person you replied to. 

And yes... the manner in which you suggest the police will ignore any report is bigotry - you have no idea how the police will respond.

I don't think the Op will get his money back - but he should still make a report. 

Just because you are too lazy to do so, does not mean others are.

I don't believe the Police will just ignore him with the same the flippant manner you respond to the suggestion of going to the police and making the report. 

Also, in reporting such 'scams' (if it is a scam), then that paves the way for fewer scams in the future.

Perhaps there are already 5 or 6 police reports of this guy having done the same thing before and this is the tipping point for the police to do something about it... 

Or, perhaps this same guy has done the same thing numerous times before and no one reported it because they thought nothing will ever be done...  and so the police have never been given a chance to do something about it...  and here we are in a situation which may well have been avoided, if people were not so dismissive and lazy.

Richard..Down Boy..Settle.

Try a G & T.🙃🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Puppa said:

I just suppose: as WU keep copy of the passport, police can check it and find if he has a bank account and maybe lock it till get money back.

Thats very unlikely. 

The police can't just go and 'lock' bank accounts - there is process and this will involve judges and court orders etc.

IF W/U have a copy of the guys Passport (is he a Westerner ?) or Thai ID ?....   then they can find out who he is, IF a proxy was not used. 

Whether they Police can catch him or will try to is a different matter, if they can find his ID and have a known address, and if he is there, then yes, they could catch him - but that is a lot of IF's....

... It would be a very stupid criminal or scammer to leave such an obvious trail - but it happens. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Puppa said:
19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Lock which bank account?   You didn't send your money to a bank account you sent it to WU.

They'd have to have evidence that your defrauded money went into any account before it could be frozen and, as it was given out as cash, they won't have that evidence.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Puppa said:

I am new of the forum and so thank you for this great place to discuss about Thailand.

I know: I am stupid.

I sent 5000 THB via western union for book a place in Phuket. Arrived noone at the airport and the contact on whatsapp blocked me.

I have name, surname, address and WhatsApp phone number.

There is nothing I can do? Police, online antifraud, something like that? I arrived yesterday and be there three months. Thank you.

You can try but you wont get anywhere. There needs to be a law, an enforced law, that says companies can not share or sell your data. If such a law exists then it is ignored. Put your experience down as a lesson learned and move on.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Put it down to an expensive lesson learnt .....    don't trust anyone or any online in Thailand.

If you do make double sure it's legit before sending money.   

Hmmm....should he trust your advice?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Puppa said:

Police cannot lock a bank account. Representations have to be made. Perhaps a court order. That’s why it’s important to have a few reports. Then an investigation may prove worthwhile. For your 5000 baht alone? The money is probably already spent. If you were the scammer, would you leave all the stolen cash in an account in your name? It likely gets turned into something else. They call it ‘money laundering’. 

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just helping the Op...     If you don't care to offer guidance you can read the thread about 🐓 enlargement that may be more fitting.

Best buy a pack of G & T Richard. Sounds like you are having a bad day.

Do Cheer Up Old Chap.🙃🙃

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Puppa said:

But if he is still here. WU has passport number. They can track him down, maybe lock the bank account till get my money back.

You'd be best off to just forget the incident and loss of your  5,000 Baht.        Just use it as a learning tool and move on.

Assuming that wasn't all the money you had, head  to the nearest pub and order a pint or two to forget your worries.

14 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

You'd be best off to just forget the incident and loss of your  5,000 Baht.        Just use it as a learning tool and move on.

Assuming that wasn't all the money you had, head  to the nearest pub and order a pint or two to forget your worries.

When scammers are out there, of any kind....   Do you consider it best we just forget it, ignore it, don't worry about it, even if we are scammed...     Or do think it would better if these things were reported so the police have an opportunity to do something about it ?

We still don't need to get worked up about it.. but IMO, its still best to report it so something can or could be done about the issue.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Puppa said:

Do you think having the information, police will don't do nothing?

Got to the tourist police and report it. Don't expect to much help but they'll have the contact info of the abuser. 

If you post on social media your annoyance with this happening in such a high tourist area like Phuket and the concern others may fall for this situation you may get more of a response. Just be very careful how you say it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've never used WesternUnion, when collecting money, would there be a record of ID ??

i.e. would WesternUnion keep a record (scan copy) of the ID used to collect the money ?

Thus there is a phone number:

- maybe ore maybe not registered to the scammer (probably not). 

- WesternUnion transaction - Could they have sent a proxy to collect eh money ?

IF the police wanted to, they could track down this guy, it takes leg work and I agree that it is unlikely they'll peruse due to it being a low sum of money..  But, if this guy has been at the same scam for a while the police may already have a record of him. 

It is at least worth reporting and as you mention, the lesson is learned, but this being repeated so many times on the thread is telling him to shut the barn door after the horse has bolted - the Op already knows his mistake. 

If I remember correctly you said that you were new here. There's one thing you have to understand about Thailand, the police here rarely engage in law enforcement, they are individual franchisees, and they are engaged in personal enrichment. So if you report something like this they have very little motivation to follow it up. Typically you can pay a policeman to follow up on a crime, but in this particular case there's not enough money involved, so your best bet is to inquire with Western Union, and see if they have any ideas. Forget about the local franchisees (police).

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, spidermike007 said:

If I remember correctly you said that you were new here. There's one thing you have to understand about Thailand, the police here rarely engage in law enforcement, they are individual franchisees, and they are engaged in personal enrichment. So if you report something like this they have very little motivation to follow it up. Typically you can pay a policeman to follow up on a crime, but in this particular case there's not enough money involved, so your best bet is to inquire with Western Union, and see if they have any ideas. Forget about the local franchisees (police).

You remember incorrectly, I've been here over two decades and also have numerous friends in the Thai Police force and am very familiar with how they deal with these issues. 

I agree with much of what you write about 'franchises' but also know there are no patterns and rules... 

I regularly hear stories from my friends of how they've dealt with an issue I would usually expect them not to be bothered with. 

Thus: Report and see what happens. The worst that can an happen is the Ops time is wasted, but at least a report is filed.

I also agree - follow up with Western Union - see if they can provide the ID of the person who picked up the money. 

Perhaps then take this to the Police so they have more to go on if they feel inclined to do so. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Here is the link for you.. 

I'm pleased you clarified that Richard. I thought you were talking about enlarging Chickens :thumbsup:.

I agree that reporting is better than not doing so, for the reasons that you pointed out.

Puppa, if you are still here, you could have been down to the tourist police and made your report, and back home again by now!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

exactly ....   then dream your 5000 is coming ...    hahaha

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They'd have to have evidence that your defrauded money went into any account before it could be frozen and, as it was given out as cash, they won't have that evidence.

correct ....  but silly folks think the money coming back ....    haha