Passport run out of pages but due for visa extension 30/12

6 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Yes of course, that's why I'm asking the OP 😁

A couple of years ago I went to Siem Reap and did VOA, fairly sure I saw people with e-visa going straight to IO but not definitive.

I tried to point out how one person can say they got a sticker with e-visa where another may not.  Where there is conflicting information you need something else to establish probability.

The whole idea of the e-visa was to reduce queues at VOA desks.ie the "sticker" desk.

I spent 6 years going in and out of Cambodia every 90 days, filled my passport in 3 years.  Oh to have had the e-visa option,would have saved me a great deal of grief.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:09 PM, novacova said:

Why not “lose” your passport then file a police report, and get an emergency/temporary replacement from the embassy.

Because that is only for emergency travel, not to stay in the country

Also, the British Embassy has nothing to do with new passport applications, that is all done via VFS

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 8:45 AM, OJAS said:

might be to return to Thailand on his new passport with a 30-day visa exemption and then apply for a 90-day non-imm visa conversion at his local immigration office

That would all depend on the reason for issuance of the visa (business/marriage/retirement)

On 12/14/2023 at 8:11 AM, sandyf said:

The same day service for passport renewal is suspended so the quickest option is the one week service but you have to bear in mind the old passport comes back sometime later.

Same day

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/online-premium-service

One week

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/1-week-fast-track-service

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Out of curiosity, did you use the Cambodian e-visa system or did you just rock up at the airport?

If the former, would you mind sharing what they stamp into your passport on entry? Pretty please 😀

I haven't been to Cambodia for a while so haven't had the opportunity to see for myself, but I read on another thread that they still put a sticker in your passport even if using the e-visa system.

Online visa is ONLY a stamp but cost $36 visa visa on arrival (full page sticker) $30

41 minutes ago, sandyf said:

A couple of years ago I went to Siem Reap and did VOA, fairly sure I saw people with e-visa going straight to IO but not definitive.

I tried to point out how one person can say they got a sticker with e-visa where another may not.  Where there is conflicting information you need something else to establish probability.

The whole idea of the e-visa was to reduce queues at VOA desks.ie the "sticker" desk.

I spent 6 years going in and out of Cambodia every 90 days, filled my passport in 3 years.  Oh to have had the e-visa option,would have saved me a great deal of grief.

????   US passports are 52 pages  How could 12 full page stamps ( 3 years of stamps @4/year)  fill ur passport?????????

and 
lets see,  each entry costs ya an extra $6 for the Cambodian evisa
so 6 years = 4 entries/year = 24 entries x6= $144.   
new 10 year passport US  $130   U saved $$14     5555555

On 12/14/2023 at 6:57 PM, Morch said:

Contact your embassy, explain the situation, see what they can do for you.

If they can issue you a new passport in time, contact immigration ahead of your due date, explain the situation to them, and ask for guidance.

Depending on location some of them can be quite accommodating.

The UK embassy do not deal with passport renewals/issues, it is handled by an HMPO section of VFS in Trendy Building, all passports are issued from the UK.

A temporary travel document could be obtained (as it would for a lost passport), but I believe this is only good for travel back to the UK, not to remain in Thailand until a new passport can be issued and forwarded here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

the British embassy does not "handle these things", and that is not what "they are there for!"

It is my understanding that one of the obligations of any embassy is to take care of their citizens in places outside of the mother country. I therefore found it no more than obvious that replacement of a passport in a case where is some kind of urgency is one of the things they should handle. But if that is not "what they are there for" then enlighten me, what is?

9 minutes ago, Dirk Z said:

It is my understanding that oone of the obligations of any embassy is to take care of their citizens in places outside of the mther country. I therefore found it no more than obvious that replacement of a passport in a case where is some kind of urgency is one of the things they should handle. But if that is not "what they are there for" then enlighten me, what is?

Not in the real world they aren't.

17 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

It is my understanding that one of the obligations of any embassy is to take care of their citizens in places outside of the mother country. I therefore found it no more than obvious that replacement of a passport in a case where is some kind of urgency is one of the things they should handle. But if that is not "what they are there for" then enlighten me, what is?

"An embassy is the base for a country's diplomatic mission abroad – meaning all of the political, cultural and social relationships between the states. "

True the consular section is there to help out people if possible in an emergency, sorry, but running out of pages in your passport is not an emergency.

20 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

It is my understanding that one of the obligations of any embassy is to take care of their citizens in places outside of the mother country.

Whilst that may well be true for most Western embassies in Bangkok, it, unfortunately, isn't so in the case of the British Embassy who, I strongly suspect, are acting under strict orders from their FCDO bosses back in Whitehall not to do anything which would make the lives of local resident British expats any easier - quite the reverse, in fact.

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

"An embassy is the base for a country's diplomatic mission abroad – meaning all of the political, cultural and social relationships between the states. "

And, in developing these political, cultural and social relationships, this appears to include - at least in the eyes of the UK's FCDO - seeking assistance from host governments aimed solely at making the lives of local expats just as difficult as they humanly can be - assistance which, in the case of the Thai government, has proved more than eagerly forthcoming in recent years.

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

And, in developing these political, cultural and social relationships, this appears to include - at least in the eyers of the UK's FCDO - seeking assistance from host governments aimed solely at making the lives of local expats just as difficult as they humanly can be - assistance which, in the case of the Thai government, has proved more than eagerly forthcoming in recent years.

How has the British embassy made the life of expats in Thailand "difficult" ?

11 minutes ago, OJAS said:

not to do anything which would make the lives of local resident British expats any easier - quite the reverse, in fact.

Again, how have they done this ?

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The links mean nothing, have always been the same. When I went to book appointment a few weeks ago there was a message that the service had been suspended, and it was still that way very recently.

Just checked again and there are appointments showing at some offices so looks like it is coming back online.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/urgent/online-premium?

23 hours ago, zzzzz said:

????   US passports are 52 pages  How could 12 full page stamps ( 3 years of stamps @4/year)  fill ur passport?????????

and 
lets see,  each entry costs ya an extra $6 for the Cambodian evisa
so 6 years = 4 entries/year = 24 entries x6= $144.   
new 10 year passport US  $130   U saved $$14     5555555

Obvious the point was over your head, my apologies.

8 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

How has the British embassy made the life of expats in Thailand "difficult" ?

Refusing to provide income letters unlike 90%+ of other countries.

When asking for advice after the death of a friend (at the request of his wife), the only answer I got was "well it depends on the circumstances".

11 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Refusing to provide income letters unlike 90%+ of other countries.

Blame that on the Thai authorities who wanted the income verified by the embassy, something they obviously could not do.

11 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

When asking for advice after the death of a friend (at the request of his wife), the only answer I got was "well it depends on the circumstances".

That makes perfect sense, there is a big difference between someone who was murdered and someone who died of old age in a hospital.

On 12/18/2023 at 10:00 AM, sandyf said:

The links mean nothing, have always been the same. When I went to book appointment a few weeks ago there was a message that the service had been suspended, and it was still that way very recently.

Just checked again and there are appointments showing at some offices so looks like it is coming back online.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/urgent/online-premium?

So, the links don't "mean nothing" after all.

Thanks for trying (them) out.

17 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

It does "depend on the circumstances" since the laws of Thailand regarding the death of a foreign national here have to be observed first.

On 12/17/2023 at 9:16 AM, Lemsta69 said:

Out of curiosity, did you use the Cambodian e-visa system or did you just rock up at the airport?

If the former, would you mind sharing what they stamp into your passport on entry? Pretty please 😀

I haven't been to Cambodia for a while so haven't had the opportunity to see for myself, but I read on another thread that they still put a sticker in your passport even if using the e-visa system.

Just rocked up at the airport, visa on arrival was very convenient, little pricey though.  

On 12/17/2023 at 9:37 AM, sandyf said:

Quite. I was one of the first to use VFS back in 2014 and after about 10 weeks got the embassy to intervene. Never going to chance it again, but I suspect I have just obtained my last passport.

oof that sounds dark

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 11:01 AM, NanLaew said:

So, the links don't "mean nothing" after all.

Thanks for trying (them) out.

Nothing like changing the context, My comment was about availability and the links you posted do not relate to availability.

All very simple,if you cannot book an appointment, you cannot use the service.

19 hours ago, sandyf said:

Nothing like changing the context, My comment was about availability and the links you posted do not relate to availability.

All very simple,if you cannot book an appointment, you cannot use the service.

But if you don't try the links first, how are you ever going to know if the two passport renewal options being offered are working or otherwise? Therefore, the links serve their purpose.

Edited by NanLaew