Irishman’s life hangs by a thread after mosquito bite in Thailand

snoop1130

For me the UCEP rules seem quite confusing, it seems to infer all life threatening cases had to be covered for 72 hours for free regardless of hospital.

Whether that applies to tourists seems greyer however given the putting life first mandate it makes sense for international agreements on this front. 

This is a google translation. Under the regulations, patients who are admitted to a hospital will receive emergency care for 72 hours, free of charge. After 72 hours of care, a patient who needs further treatment will have to be referred to a hospital where he or she has registered. A patient who prefers receiving ongoing treatment at a hospital that provides them with emergency care must pay for the remaining treatment costs.

How it gets assessed as to whether its life threatening is likely key.

For me the Tourist fee they have talked about makes sense to include some level of insurance, 500 baht including government hospital insurance and I doubt there would be so many arguments over it.

Seemed to be case last week where someone was refused at a hospital and it did not go well but search is now turning up a 404 currently, but might have been a good example to follow for clarity.

Hope he gets well soon either way.

• Thumbs Up 1

€ 2,700 a day is ridiculous for a hospital , I hope this man gets better soon  ,insurance or no insurance he should be looked after in a public hospital the same  , ambulance bringing him to a private hospital  was wrong , they seen him as a cash cow , some Thais think every farang (a word I hate by the way) is a millionaire , some  forget we actually work for a living 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RobU said:

I presume you got your extension visa whilst you were in Thailand, as I did and you are right I did not have to submit evidence of healthcare insurance. If you buy any visa from the Thai Embassy whilst you are out of Thailand you are required to submit evidence of Health Insurance via the website. Therefore, the rule is that all persons entering Thailand on a visa must have healthcare insurance. If entering for 30 days no visa is required and therefore no healthcare insurance is demanded. It is a loophole in the system which the authorities may close eventually when they can work out how

I did. But that was purely because I couldn't be bothered with the e-visa system. Like I said, I have good insurance.

You finally prodded me into checking out the Royal Thai Embassy London website, which says this (as opposed to what you posted about Covid so I don't know where that came from) about supposed health insurance requirements:

''Health Insurance issued by insurer with outpatient benefit of not less than 40,000 THB and inpatient benefit of not less than 400,000 THB or Financial evidence.''

That's not mentioned on the e-visa site I just accessed (which has been dramatically simplified with regards to Non-O retirement). I assume the e-visa site says the same for all European countries. 

If you are right and for whatever reason UK residents have to provide proof of insurance/covid coverage then fine. It's possible I owe AN an apology for posting fake news. I just don't see it though.  I keep a close eye on the visa forum and I have yet to read a thread asking about the requirement or anyone being rejected for not complying. And as regards your initial response, all Covid requirements were dropped in July last year.

All the best. 

5 hours ago, bradiston said:

I think there might be a difference between applying in advance at an embassy in a foreign country, and applying yourself, or getting an agent, for instance, to sort it all out when you are in Thailand. I don't believe there is any insurance requirement when applying in Thailand for a non immigrant O category visa, and no requirement when applying for a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement. However, there are in theory financial requirements. Eg 800k in the bank. Perhaps that is part of the reason.

There are no health insurance requirements on the e-visa site I can find. There are now only four easy requirements for a 90 day Non-O on the e-visa site.

Proof of finance 65k/800k/pension statement is one of those required, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

These Non-O retirement requirements from the e-visa site accessed via London Embassy:

1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document
  2. Photograph taken within the last six months
  3. Document indicating current location
  4. Financial evidence showing monthly income of no less than 65,000 THB or having the current balance of 800,000 THB, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings

And that's it.

7 hours ago, RobU said:

I presume you got your extension visa whilst you were in Thailand, as I did and you are right I did not have to submit evidence of healthcare insurance. If you buy any visa from the Thai Embassy whilst you are out of Thailand you are required to submit evidence of Health Insurance via the website. Therefore, the rule is that all persons entering Thailand on a visa must have healthcare insurance. If entering for 30 days no visa is required and therefore no healthcare insurance is demanded. It is a loophole in the system which the authorities may close eventually when they can work out how

I did some more digging.

These Non-O retirement requirements from the e-visa site accessed via London Embassy:

1. Biodata page of Passport or Travel Document
  2. Photograph taken within the last six months
  3. Document indicating current location
  4. Financial evidence showing monthly income of no less than 65,000 THB or having the current balance of 800,000 THB, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings

And that's it. That is also the only way to get a Non-O retirement in the UK.

I appreciate you weren't trolling me and meant well. But I also don't owe AN an apology for fake news ;D

All the best.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

That sounds unrealistic.

That was a long taxi ride!

He more than likely had symptoms for a while but just thought it a cold. My friend had malaria and that was the case, he felt ill for several days but just thought it a cold, then as he was driving, he passed out and wrecked. Luckily, he was ok and recovered from the malaria. So, this guy with dengue it probably just crept up on him and he ignored the first symptoms.

Edited by Robbie2618
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Haemorrhagic dengue fever is extremely serious. Moreover, Individuals who are infected for a second time are at greater risk of severe dengue.
Severe dengue symptoms often come after the fever has gone away. You can go from feeling like you have a general fever and aches to a life-threatening condition in a matter of hours. There is a guy (Ricky in Isaan on YouTube), whose wife recently died in exactly these circumstances. 

It is very possible this poor man was feeling ill for a day or so, popped a couple of paracetamol, went to the airport in the taxi and became seriously ill along the way. 

Edited by kennypowers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dengvaxia is only recommended in those who have previously had dengue fever or populations in which most people have been previously infected.[10]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

Exactly. BPH has or had ads in their elevators promoting the vaccine. When I asked a cardiologist there, he frankly told me he found it was rather ineffective.

I have just spent the last 5 days in agony, worst headache ever my eyes also felt painful, my whole body aches, muscles & bones ache & have no energy, i couldnt sleep as the pain was unbearable, eventually went to a private hospital, they said my blood pressure was high & I had a fever, I explained to the doctor all my symptoms, she then said do you want a brain scan, it got me worried, but declined, sent me off with Tramadol, a pain Killer that raises your blood pressure and can increase the risk of a heart attack or stroke & vertigo pills, they put blood pressure sleeve half over my t shirt, I had them check again with it on properly & my blood pressure went down, I had a blood test today & I have Dengue fever, its a relief to know what is actually wrong with me, but also worrying about this poor guy, It cost me 3,800 baht to check my blood pressure, worry the crap out of me & 3 lots of tablets, I have health insurance but the access would cost me more than the hospital bill.....

Hope this 36 yr old guy recovers. 

What a dreadful scenario.   Mozzies like my blood and I do worry about dengue when in Thailand.  I find mozzies in BKK condos, restaurants and lots in the village.     I would toss in my typical 3rd world comment here but I've read dengue is now in the US.  And global warming is speading it and case numbers are rising and spreading into new areas. 

https://time.com/6429963/dengue-fever-cases-symptoms-prevention-explainer/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

yet more bizarre reporting on this poor man

"rare mosquito bite" - what kind of  reporting is that?

Do the hopital not know or has he got  hemorrhagic Dengue which is well documented in Thailand.

Dengue can be fatal but so can Thai healthcare

It seems he's in advance state of haemorrhagic fever, which is why they want to intubate him. 

Once again, health care in the smaller hospitals can be poor, especially the ones that are more remote. Care however in the larger hospitals is excellent. I just spent 5 days in a university hospital, the care, facilities and service was as good as any where in the world, it was first rate. 

10 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Then how do you know it was Dengue? (seriously asking, I don't think I've ever had it)

The initial major symptoms are very high temperature and a significant loss of energy, severe headache followed by muscle ache. The high temperature around 40 degrees is enough  to tell you something is seriously wrong.  

33 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Care however in the larger hospitals is excellen

Not true! - I worked in major Thai hospitals - they are cynical and unethical - many patients are conned into believing they've had the best treatment -when often it's not appropriate or just the most profitable

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kwilco said:

Not true! - I worked in major Thai hospitals - they are cynical and unethical - many patients are conned into believing they've had the best treatment -when often it's not appropriate or just the most profitable

Nonsense! Government hospitals are funded by Government, from tax revenue and from insurance policies operated by the government, as such they are not for profit.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sig said:

Ridiculous.
Who in their right mind would go to a private hospital or stay in one with daily rates like that??? Completely insane.

You do if you have insurance. I had a very short stay in a Lamphun private hospital, cost 50,000 baht and I only had a room and an IV. Had I not been insured it would have cost more ( farangs pay more as we can afford to, apparently ). My Thai insurance cost 60,000 baht so it was worth it.

42 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

The initial major symptoms are very high temperature and a significant loss of energy, severe headache followed by muscle ache. The high temperature around 40 degrees is enough  to tell you something is seriously wrong.  

I could barely get out of bed to use the bathroom. Lasted 3 days of my precious holiday time. Luckily I had a temporary GF staying with me who looked after me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You do if you have insurance.

I think that goes without saying...
My implication was that it would be insane to stay in such private hospital if it were not covered by insurance.

• Agree 1

On 12/15/2023 at 12:55 PM, Sheryl said:

As per the linked story, he had insurance.

But expiring in his day of departure (a common arrangement) and most unfortunately that is exactly when he fell severely ill.

Date of his departure - that is bad luck. But maybe he/family still have a claim - Denque does not 'happen' so suddenly - he obviously caught it while he was insured and became extremely ill on the last day of the policy. That might take appeals to Tribunals and Courts - but maybe worth it. But right now there are far more important things for the family to worry about. Hope he gets through it.   

• Agree 1