Bank account for married to Thai wife to obtain visa

5 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

The RULES that control whether a foreigner can or can't open an account are made by the MANAGER of the branch you're standing inside of when you go to apply

The RULES are set by the governing body(BOT), managers interpret how the rules will be applied.

Part of an email I received a few years back.

visa email_Page_1.jpg

go to bank with your wife and her tabian ban(blue book) and try to open it again, don't speak let your wife handle that for you(worked for me), don't give up after the first red signal just change bank or branch and try again.

for this kind of visa you should start with a non-o visa from your resident country and not by a visa exempt.

28 minutes ago, timendres said:

I believe that you needed to convert your VOA to a Non-O visa.

This is a straightforward process, at least here in BKK.

With the Non-O visa, you should have no problem opening a bank account.

You are missing the "Catch 22" .

To obtain the non O from visa exempt entry you require money in Thai bank account in your name only. 

Bank account first followed by Non O.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for all the replies 

I’ll try some other branches. Maybe ask the agent at Bangkok bank Khon Kaen to provide me with the written statement that says he is not allowed to open an account for me.  I know, making him loose face is not going to go well with him, but at this point I have nothing to loose.

Thanks and take care,

• Confused 1

Lopburi3,

I did take my wife with me to Bangkok bank in Khon Kaen where she has account and I have been sending money over the past years..

Did not help.

I really wanted an account with Bangkok bank because they have an office in New York.  Figured I could have my retirement money sent there and have access to the money while I’m in Thailand.

I wanted to stay in Thailand full time, however with this new tax the Thai government is talking about, I may only be able to stay 179 days.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your input.

• Haha 1

It is true that opening a bank account in Thailand can now be difficult. You used to be able to open an account on a visa exempt or a tourist visa years ago (i did in 2010) but the next time i tried it was a different story - and i had an annual Visa extension for marriage! took me 3  banks and 4 branches  to do it, AND they asked for a Thai guarantor who was a house owner with a blue book (wife lives in family home, blue book not in her name, was not accepted). That was about 5 years ago. Last account (same bank) was a bit easier but not much in 2019. Also have heard that some bank managers do not want USA customers because of FATCA.

Thai banks need to get their act together or retirees will get the message and choose another country to retire. In the UK, i can open a new account online in 5 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You are missing the "Catch 22" .

To obtain the non O from visa exempt entry you require money in Thai bank account in your name only. 

Bank account first followed by Non O.

Right. My bad. I forgot about that.

5 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Correct but a Visa Exempt Entry can.

I did not say it couldn't , but the post I quoted quite clearly mentions a VOA, which is totally different to a visa exempt entry

I mentioned it to clarify the point for other people reading the thread who may be in a similar situation

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

I did not say it couldn't , but the post I quoted quite clearly mentions a VOA, which is totally different to a visa exempt entry

I mentioned it to clarify the point for other people reading the thread who may be in a similar situation

Thanks, I didn't want to be "that guy" 😅

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

You are also missing the point that a VOA can not be converted into a Non-O in country

Interesting, since I just did that last month, and a friend did the same last year.

EDIT - Oh dear. Wrong again. It was a Visa Exempt in both my case and my friends. I did not realize that VOA was treated differently. I am happy others clarified this.

• Like 1