Why Chinese tourists snub Thailand: New favourites revealed

webfact

2 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

I dont understand the reason they are so obssesed with Chinese tourists. They are looking solely at visitor numbers rather than quality spending tourists.

I suspect it is simply greediness. 

A zero dollar tour works like this. The chinese tourist will pay the company in China. The chinese company will then take care of everything, including accomodation, tour, transport, and food. 

The only problem for Thailand is that Thailand was seeing very little of this money, because they were bypassing local Thai for their own businesses. In a sense those on zero dollar tours were actually a drain on Thailand. 

• Like 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

I suspect it is simply greediness. 

No but you never here them say 'why are European tourists numbers down, we must do something'. Whenever you pick up a newspaper it's a simply a daily soap opera on when they can get the Chinese visitors back. 

A tourist is a tourist regardless of nationality ?

• Agree 1

On 12/15/2023 at 11:52 AM, DjSilver said:

I want to see a total amount of tourists that is less than during the lockdown in Thailand.

I believe Thailand and the Thai people needs to learn not to scam foreigners, or they will pay deeply for it.

The 2 words "Thai" and "learn" are not going together unfortunaly.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

No but you never here them say 'why are European tourists numbers down, we must do something'. Whenever you pick up a newspaper it's a simply a daily soap opera on when they can get the Chinese visitors back. 

A tourist is a tourist regardless of nationality ?

Well expensive flights and dire economies notwithstanding.... they still only get a 30 day Visa exempt. 

• Agree 1

On 12/15/2023 at 11:52 AM, DjSilver said:

I want to see a total amount of tourists that is less than during the lockdown in Thailand.

I believe Thailand and the Thai people needs to learn not to scam foreigners, or they will pay deeply for it.

I agree. The tourist industry here is vile.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Off topic but isn't Holiday Inn owned by IHG Group , UK based? So the cleaner will be from Nigeria and India!

The whole point is it doesnt matter who owns the hotel--or who stays at it, for that matter, whether they're Chinese, American, or whatever.  What matters is it benefits the local economy.  Does Paris care that Paris Disneyland is owned by the Walt Disney Company, an American company?  No.  It's a big contributor to the local economy, providing local jobs, and that's what is important.  

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

I dont understand the reason they are so obssesed with Chinese tourists. They are looking solely at visitor numbers rather than quality spending tourists. 

The problem with higher numbers is it will turn away higher spending tourists. 

Instead of focussing in on rip off practises, making the experience more pleasurable, gentrifying the main cities and making them less appealling was wrong - all we seem to get is an obsession with Chinese numbers.

The last thing you need is ZERO DOLLAR TOURISTS BACK. 

QUALITY not QUANTITY. 

Your statement, 'The problem with higher numbers is it will turn away higher spending tourists.' is not supported by actual data.   From 2015 to 2019, higher spending tourists--which are those from Western countries and the Middle East, did not decline in numbers. 

Except for Australia, which declined slightly, all the other western countries that are tracked increased their numbers during this 5-year period when Asian visitors to Thailand were skyrocketing.  The European countries had gains from around 6 to 13%--except Russia, which increased about 67%.  Visitors from the US also had a big jump--up 34%. 

The problem with your 'Quality not Quantity' statement is that Thailand needs both.  Quality to fill the 5-star hotels and quantity to make sure all the other thousands of guesthouses, hostels, and lower-ranking hotels all over Thailand are filled.  Pre-covid, it was doing well in attracting both.  Hopefully, things will get back on track as the world moves back to normal and the world economy improves.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

A zero dollar tour works like this. The chinese tourist will pay the company in China. The chinese company will then take care of everything, including accomodation, tour, transport, and food. 

The only problem for Thailand is that Thailand was seeing very little of this money, because they were bypassing local Thai for their own businesses. In a sense those on zero dollar tours were actually a drain on Thailand. 

Totally incorrect in your conclusion.  Most tours work the way you describe--the fees are paid in the country of origin and the tour company pays for lodging, food, transportation, etc.  Fun fact:  In 2019, 60% of the Chinese tourist to Thailand were not in tour groups.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2023 at 7:19 AM, impulse said:

Staying in China like I do, I get to fly on a lot of flights, BKK to China. And I am amazed at the suitcases full of goodies they haul back with them. 

My GF used to come with a shopping list from all her friends.  She'd shop like a fiend while i was at work.  Not to mention the queues at the VAT refund kiosks at the airport. 

They spend lots of money. Not always on the same stuff we'd buy.  But spend, they do. And not all at Chinese owned shops.

you musat have seen the only ones that buy within Thailand, most of the check-ins with very slim suitcases I have seen during my time at airports. VAT rebate line ups not too many of them...  

On 12/17/2023 at 12:29 AM, DonniePeverley said:

It's not exactly how it works. Zero dollar tours are sold at a very cheap price (maybe below cost), and they make a profit bringing Chinese tourists to jewelry shops, shows, etc.. (likely over priced) as they get a cut of their expenses. On top of it, these tour operators still have to pay for accommodation, transportation, food, etc...for their customers in Thailand. It's like saying that, if you book a tour from a tour operator in Farangland, the money doesn't go to Thailand.

The fact that their network in Thailand is mainly Chinese-own is irrelevant, as the money is still spent in Thailand and flows into the economy.

Moreover, Chinese businesses usually want to keep money out of reach from the CCP, so my guess is that very little of the money spent in Thailand goes back to China.