the wai

stoner

how often do you wai ?  on a regular basis ? do you feel obligated to do it ? 

i find it strange personally even after 20 years of interaction with thai. the longer i stay here the less i wai.

i have also experienced the nefarious over exaggerated wai. where a person goes out of their way to do a really big wai and all full of what looks like acting. 3 times in my life i have encountered this wai and every time it turned out to be backed by an absolute horrible person. from both extremes of the culture as well. the one came from an extremely well to do thai and the other came from a poverty stricken thai. yet the action and mannerism was almost the exact same. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its seems there are two distinct groups in this...

Those who refuse to wai and think a nod suffices, that foreigners are never expected to wai etc... 

& those who are happy to adapt and learn, and make simple efforts to be respectful....

It seems the ignorant and impolite will stretch to numerous reasons as to why they should not wai...  I wonder if these same people complain of immigrants in our home countries not adapting to the mannerisms and polite socail mores or our own countries. 

good thing in canada we're taught to welcome everyone. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, stoner said:

good thing in canada we're taught to welcome everyone. 

Oh well then... thats solved it... If you are from Canada there is no need to wai because you are welcoming to everyone in your home country ???   

Is that what you mean ??... otherwise I don't get your point..   No Canadaian complains about foreigners / immigrants who move to Canada and don't attempt to adapt to the local culture ?

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Oh well then... thats solved it... If you are from Canada there is no need to wai because you are welcoming to everyone in your home country ???    Is that what you mean ??... otherwise I don't get your point.. 

point is you spoke about us back home in our own countries complaining etc. you seem to be on 2 very extreme ends with how this works. no one back home complains when other cultures don't adhere to the local ones. that's the point. 

either i wai and i am all good or i don't and somehow i am ignorant or being disrespectful. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Gaslighting...  

Perhaps you are not clever enough stupid enough to adapt to the simplicity of when to wai and when not to... 

Fixed it for you.

You're welcome.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, stoner said:

point is you spoke about us back home in our own countries complaining etc. you seem to be on 2 very extreme ends with how this works. no one back home complains when other cultures don't adhere to the local ones. that's the point. 

either i wai and i am all good or i don't and somehow i am ignorant or being disrespectful. 

No one in Canada complains about foreigners coming over to Canada and not trying to adapt to the local culture and customs ?

IMO - thats the biggest complain those of any nation have of their 'visitors' (immigrants).

Of course, as you indicate there is a 'spectrum' rather than just two extremes...   I responded to the 'extreme' comments of those who refuse to Wai, say they don't need to Wai... or its not expected that a Foreigner Wai's etc....    those are the extremes and will be considered impolite. 

Operating in the 'balance' as many of us do would be considered most appropriate. 

• Thumbs Up 1