Very Dry Facial Skin

NONG CHOK

Hi there, I've lived in Thailand for the past 22 years and it's only now that I've come across this dry skin problem. I get it behind my ears and around my face including my nose. I do have fair skin but being a plumber I worked for 50 years outside for most of the time where temperatures were at times 40C plus. I've tried several creams and a lot of different soaps all to no avail. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

1. Get yourself a litre of cold pressed black sesame oil (Lazada)
  2. Apply liberally on all dry areas daily.
  3. Eat two spoonfuls every day, after a meal.
  4. If a rapid improvement does not occur the problem may be psoriasis. This is caused by eating cooked animal foods without sufficient fat. Ask me for more info on this problem.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

1. Use a very mild soap like Pears

image.png.9cbb94eaa5a585ca8823b6fb59eb0e2b.png

2. Apply vaseline to the dry areas, it is by far the best thing for dry skin though a bit messy.

Are you sure it is dry skin and not some other skin condition?

That's not right.

Vaseline will block your skin and pores. Therefore it could happen that your skin becomes even more dry.

Better are lotions with a lipophile and hydrophil part. (pH 5 - Eucerin)

• Like 1

If it's just dry skin use Nivea creme. The real stuff. Not the stuff with whitener. When I did my army National Service training in Wales in 1952 the March winds and rain was like my face being sandblasted. The girl in the NAAFI put me onto it. The Nivea I mean. I've used it ever since.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Hi there, I've lived in Thailand for the past 22 years and it's only now that I've come across this dry skin problem. I get it behind my ears and around my face including my nose. I do have fair skin but being a plumber I worked for 50 years outside for most of the time where temperatures were at times 40C plus. I've tried several creams and a lot of different soaps all to no avail. Thanks.

As it has come on lately , I would go to a dermatologist to make sure it’s not something like eczema. 
She/he will tell you what cream to buy. Especially having fair skin I hope you are avoiding the sun with help from sunscreen for face ( not body) and hats. 

13 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

If it's just dry skin use Nivea creme. The real stuff. Not the stuff with whitener. When I did my army National Service training in Wales in 1952 the March winds and rain was like my face being sandblasted. The girl in the NAAFI put me onto it. The Nivea I mean. I've used it ever since.

Agreed, I apply it daily. Nivea Men have an excellent range. Just go choose your skin type.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Agreed, I apply it daily. Nivea Men have an excellent range. Just go choose your skin type.

Nivea Men? In my day when I first used it, men weren't expected to put cream on their 'boat races.' I just use Trad. Nivea. Like the old TV advert in black and white. 'Made for men. With women in mind.' I don't think it was for Nivea though and there were no TV ads or even TV then. Just rubbing it in.:wink:

28 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Nivea Men? In my day when I first used it, men weren't expected to put cream on their 'boat races.' I just use Trad. Nivea. Like the old TV advert in black and white. 'Made for men. With women in mind.' I don't think it was for Nivea though and there were no TV ads or even TV then. Just rubbing it in.:wink:

I remember the stuff well in the flat blue tin. Did they still market that?

• Like 1

You probably should see a dermatologist if nothing seems to help.  It could be eczema or another type of condition. You have to find the specific product to treat the specific condition.  That’s where the dermatologist would come in. 

On 12/19/2023 at 8:38 AM, Sheryl said:

1. Use a very mild soap like Pears

image.png.9cbb94eaa5a585ca8823b6fb59eb0e2b.png

2. Apply vaseline to the dry areas, it is by far the best thing for dry skin though a bit messy.

Are you sure it is dry skin and not some other skin condition?

doctor at b/k Pattaya told me to use BABY OIL !!!

20 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

That's not right.

Vaseline will block your skin and pores. Therefore it could happen that your skin becomes even more dry.

Better are lotions with a lipophile and hydrophil part. (pH 5 - Eucerin)

I use Vaseline on my face at least once a week. Cheap, effective. Of course, if you have skin issues such as acne, clogged pores, oily skin probably want to deal with that first but Vaseline is recommended by dermatologists regularly to repair skin / barrier. 

OP

Glycerin or lanolin soap, Quality moisturizer and sunscreen. Vaseline a few nights a week. Best to put it on early evening. Much of it will come off on pillow when sleeping.  If you want to get fancy, find a Hyaluronic acid on sale and use that immediate after patting dry your face. Face should be damp on application of hya. 

38 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

I use Vaseline on my face at least once a week. Cheap, effective. Of course, if you have skin issues such as acne, clogged pores, oily skin probably want to deal with that first but Vaseline is recommended by dermatologists regularly to repair skin / barrier. 

OP

Glycerin or lanolin soap, Quality moisturizer and sunscreen. Vaseline a few nights a week. Best to put it on early evening. Much of it will come off on pillow when sleeping.  If you want to get fancy, find a Hyaluronic acid on sale and use that immediate after patting dry your face. Face should be damp on application of hya. 

That is not quite right. Vaseline will seal your skin and block the pores. It's not recommended by any dermatologist anymore. Maybe in ancient times. As I stated please use lotions which will have lipophile and hydrophile agents. 👍

57 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

That is not quite right. Vaseline will seal your skin and block the pores. It's not recommended by any dermatologist anymore. Maybe in ancient times. As I stated please use lotions which will have lipophile and hydrophile agents. 👍

Locking in the moisture that otherwise seeps out the pores is exactly the point of using it. 

But best nto to have it on 24/7. As it is also messy to use at night (smears the pillows) I usually suggest just day time use.

51 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Locking in the moisture that otherwise seeps out the pores is exactly the point of using it. 

But best nto to have it on 24/7. As it is also messy to use at night (smears the pillows) I usually suggest just day time use.

That is not quite right. Your "locking" is "blocking" or clogging. You need your skin pores for passage of fluids and gases through the surface. To use vaseline can cause acne.