Here we go again.

still kicking

On 12/20/2023 at 6:13 AM, Prubangboy said:

I used to go to the fabled Bottom Line nightclub in New York. They had separate menu's for Japanese people with inflated prices.

In my deeply Trumpian hometown, there's a tax on hotel rooms. They have no prob putting aside their fervent anti-tax posturing to squeeze outsiders for a few bucks.

Europe is contemplating visitor fees in places like Venice. Most cruise ships pay to dock in a port. Those fees are hidden in the cruise price.

Thailand does none of these things.

Then you should buy a carton of wine, for example, or a car made in the West, another example....ach never mind.

On 12/20/2023 at 6:13 AM, Prubangboy said:

I used to go to the fabled Bottom Line nightclub in New York. They had separate menu's for Japanese people with inflated prices.

In my deeply Trumpian hometown, there's a tax on hotel rooms. They have no prob putting aside their fervent anti-tax posturing to squeeze outsiders for a few bucks.

Europe is contemplating visitor fees in places like Venice. Most cruise ships pay to dock in a port. Those fees are hidden in the cruise price.

Sorry about your hometown.    As for Thailand  ever heard of a restaurant by the name of Allegria? 

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Dual Pricing in New Zealand

NZ dual Pricing.jpeg

So if Thailand did this I would be very happy as I'm a resident of Thailand and have ID to prove it. It would be much fairer than their current system.

• Agree 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:52 PM, still kicking said:

So, most Farangs agree it is OK to pay inflated prices for Farangs you are all ignorant or rich.

13 Wild Boars Cave: Tham Luang National Park Opens Deeper Chambers for Tourists with Controversial Entrance Fees - The Pattaya News

instead of naging about it give it your best shot and try to change it!

1 minute ago, Foexie said:

instead of naging about it give it your best shot and try to change it!

Just hang on, you know as a farang you cannot change anything I spend years in LOS, had a business used a lot of paint painting my fabricated goods (trailers) My wife used to pick up the paint but sometimes I had to pick it up when my wife had other arrangements or was sick, so I paid extra 1000 baht because I was a farang. Tell me any other country who does that?

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2023 at 5:13 PM, Prubangboy said:

What are you talking about, Thailand DOES all of that.  There is a fee to visit Thailand itself at the airport …your exit fee, your visa fee.  

Do you think your English menu is always the same price as Thai menus???   Have you not heard of the commission your girlfriend/date can make after taking her out to a seafood restaurant? The restaurant keeps a little notebook and the girls go back the next day and pick up the cash.

Hotel tax, everywhere in the world.  Cruise ships, same.

• Haha 1

I chatted with Vernon Unsworth MBE on a flight from London to Bangkok in November 2021. He was the gent who mapped the cave and offered guidance to the rescue divers. I would not pay inflated fees to visit the depths of the cave though. Seeing the movie was plenty enough. So sad for the young lad Promthep (Dom) of the "Wild Boars" who passed away earlier this year.

On 12/20/2023 at 8:09 AM, scubascuba3 said:

They should be smarter about it, charging tourists higher then farang residents seems a better idea, personally i avoid any dual pricing

At some venues if you show them your Thai drivers licence or similar they will treat you as a Thai (pricing). 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

21 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Rare, they will laugh in your face, good for a laugh though

Maybe now but 20 years ago it would work almost everytime.

Oh well, like you say they would probably laugh in your face. I reckon they're fed up with the nasty, horrible foreigners that are here these days.

Dual pricing has been in place since before foreigners arrived, they knew about it before they relocated here but some want to moan. 

Its strange behavior, childlike. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

You forget the argument that dual pricing is an insult to the Thai national... it's disrespectful to tell them that they cannot afford the same as the tourist.

Thai people like the dual pricing, they like to hear that you are paying more than them, I've noticed it at golf

A very very long time ago I stayed in a quite new guest house in Chiang Mai.

The price was 80 baht a night.

I fancied one of the receptionist so hung out in the lobby quite a bit.

One time some Thai people came in and ask how much for the night.

The person on the desk said 120 baht a night.

After they were finished...I pitched up and ask .How come you charge them more.The reply "Oh Thai people would think room no good ,dirty for only 80 baht.

Double pricing works both ways .

"Chutidet publicly revealed that tourists could still visit the first chamber at a depth of approximately 200 meters for free. However, for the second and third chambers at the depth of 653 meters and 715 meters respectively, there would be entrance fees of 950 baht for Thais and 1,500 baht for foreigners."

I don't see a problem.  I've no plans to exploring caves in a national park, and I haven't gone anywhere that has a dual-pricing scheme for years.