Thailand braces for Houthi attacks impact: export activities remain unaffected

webfact

image.jpeg

With the recent Houthi attacks on pivotal shipping routes in the Red Sea, the Commerce Ministry of Thailand is strategising both immediate and long-term measures to mitigate the potential fallout. Despite these attacks, the ministry has confirmed that the country’s export activities remain unaffected.

The ministry’s permanent secretary Keerati Rushchano, following an urgent meeting with the Thailand National Shippers’ Council (TNSC), overseas trade promotion offices, and related agencies, conveyed his assessment that the impact of these Houthi attacks is likely to be temporary.

He stated…

“Our initial projections suggest that Thailand’s overall exports should not see any significant disruptions this year, even though we are preparing for any eventualities.”

Keerati expressed concerns about potential shortages of containers and container spaces, harking back to the port congestion experienced during the Covid-19 pandemic. This could potentially result in higher production costs and increased competition for shipping space, particularly during festive periods such as the Chinese New Year.

by Alex Morgan 

Photo taken from Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

2 hours ago, webfact said:

With the recent Houthi attacks on pivotal shipping routes in the Red Sea, the Commerce Ministry of Thailand is strategising both immediate and long-term measures to mitigate the potential fallout. Despite these attacks, the ministry has confirmed that the country’s export activities remain unaffected.

So what's up then.... no ploblem?

• Sad 1

I was hoping this would shift the constant blaming on Brexit and Covid yet the latter still features. The commercial equivalent of 'the brakes failed'.

I thought, also, that the problem of a shortage of shipping containers had been resolved. Is the lack of conainers actually that containers are sitting empty at some ports throughout the world awaiting orders?

• Agree 1

The problem is the Red Sea. To export to Europe in winter, it's the shortest and thus cheapest route. If Israel continues it's Palestinian genocide, the Houthis will continue to retaliate by firing on ships passing through the Red Sea. That is already slowing down Asian/European trade in both directions and thus reducing the number of containers available anywhere at any time*, because international trade/capitalism avoids having spare capacity - it's run by accountants not strategists. 

* Because a percentage are now stuck at one end of the Red Sea or the other. 

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Not quite sure what his contingency plan is ?

What in hecks name does he think sitting in his ivory tower he can do about it ?

If they pirate a ship, they pirate a ship. The Thai Minister of Commerce can do what ?

Thailand took years to even help the Malaysian & Singapore navy in the Malacca Straits & these guys are so much smarter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

Not quite sure what his contingency plan is ?

What in hecks name does he think sitting in his ivory tower he can do about it ?

If they pirate a ship, they pirate a ship. The Thai Minister of Commerce can do what ?

Thailand took years to even help the Malaysian & Singapore navy in the Malacca Straits & these guys are so much smarter.

It's called posturing which accomplishes absolutely nothing.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

I have a feeling that Yemen Houthis may in the near future, see an incoming missle or two.

I thought Yenem was in enough troubles allready, but i guess not.

In times gone by any port offering harbour to pirates that were attacking shipping trade got a visit from several gunships.... sometimes diplomatic niceties are superseded by necessity!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thailand should stay well out of it.  The gunship option doesn't work anymore, these guys are battle hardend. We're playing catch up. It really needs a total rethink of our strategy. I won't hold my breath, given the stranglehold the MIC has on things.