Thai Birth Rates Hit 71-Year Low, Government Vows to Address Societal Challenges

webfact

Pretty much all the developing and 1st world countries, 

birth rate is declining. In east Asia , Japan and South Korea have been slowing down the last 20 years or so. China had a 10% drop in birth rate this year, the first time in 60 years! Vietnam is in the same boat with an emerging middle class that prefers to have 2 or 1 kids. 

Indonesia and Philippines are out of control and it will impact any economic development.  Now to the extreme,  Africa and Latin America, those two regions will cause massive economic strain on the world as they migrate to more prosperous nations to look for work and survival 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alien365 said:

Society has made sex a taboo for years, as it remains today. 

I know many nice girls who will struggle to find someone as their parents don't allow them space to find anyone. Some I know see it already as men are no longer interested in them. They are too old. 

Have you ever heard of that?

A teen pregnancy is a life sentence for a Thai  girl. The abject idiot boy who did it to her won't give any support whatsoever.

• Agree 2

I've seen some recent studies that have China's population dropping to 650 million by the year 2060, multiple predictions also have shown Thailand's population to drop to 35 million within that same period. The people are just getting smart and many are deciding not to have children, or to have one child at the most.

This is not a great time to be bringing children into the world, and people are wising up. I don't think they're going to be able to reverse that trend. And it's a good thing overall, though some pain will be felt, no doubt. World population needs to drop. 

If you look at the curves birth rates are falling all over the world, except in Africa, the forlorn continent. Falling in China, Thailand, Japan, etc. Some are predicting China's population to fall to 650 million within 50 years, the crisis is that bad. I don't call it a crisis. I think it's a huge blessing. 

We report on China whose birth rate in the last year has fallen to the lowest level on record while American research shows more adults who do not already have children are saying they are unlikely to ever have them. Hooray!!! 

https://www.france24.com/en/tv-shows/the-51/20220121-global-decline-in-birth-rates-should-we-worry

Japan's population is projected to fall from a peak of 128 million in 2017 to less than 53 million by the end of the century.

Italy is expected to see an equally dramatic population crash from 61 million to 28 million over the same timeframe.

They are two of 23 countries - which also include Spain, Portugal, Thailand and South Korea - expected to see their population more than halve.

Hooray!!! 

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53409521

Edited by spidermike007

14 hours ago, Seppius said:

Elon Musk thinks population decline is a big threat to humanity

"And yet, so many people, including smart people, think that there are too many people in the world and think that the population is growing out of control. It's completely the opposite. Please look at the numbers – if people don't have more children, civilization is going to crumble, mark my words."

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2021/12/07/elon-musk-declining-birthrate-threatens-human-civilization/6414749001/

This from a man who has how 11 children! I admire him on alot of levels, but he has a Mormon lifestyle, when it comes to child production. His perception of child bearing is bizarre. 

Within two decades, the Tesla founder has become a father of 11 children with three women. His first child was born in 2002 and his most recent in 2023. The first six children he shares with his ex-wife, Canadian author Justine Wilson.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I've seen some recent studies that have China's population dropping to 650 million by the year 2060, multiple predictions also have shown Thailand's population to drop to 35 million within that same period. The people are just getting smart and many are deciding not to have children, or to have one child at the most.

This is not a great time to be bringing children into the world, and people are wising up. I don't think they're going to be able to reverse that trend. And it's a good thing overall, though some pain will be felt, no doubt. World population needs to drop. 

If you look at the curves birth rates are falling all over the world, except in Africa, the forlorn continent. Falling in China, Thailand, Japan, etc. Some are predicting China's population to fall to 650 million within 50 years, the crisis is that bad. I don't call it a crisis. I think it's a huge blessing. 

We report on China whose birth rate in the last year has fallen to the lowest level on record while American research shows more adults who do not already have children are saying they are unlikely to ever have them. Hooray!!! 

https://www.france24.com/en/tv-shows/the-51/20220121-global-decline-in-birth-rates-should-we-worry

Japan's population is projected to fall from a peak of 128 million in 2017 to less than 53 million by the end of the century.

Italy is expected to see an equally dramatic population crash from 61 million to 28 million over the same timeframe.

They are two of 23 countries - which also include Spain, Portugal, Thailand and South Korea - expected to see their population more than halve.

Hooray!!! 

What you’re describing is the end of Globalization. Every country for the most part will eventually take care of themselves. For Globalization to be successful it needs people. Fewer people and it’s not sustainable. What will happen is that developing countries that didn’t rise out of poverty in the era of Globalization won’t have access to the larger markets or foreign investments. Life will be much tougher and they will try to migrate to “better pastures”.

Forget about International Markets. The way companies and countries expand their markets by going beyond National borders will be drastically reduced. So, businesses won’t be able to increase their customer base... and most importantly the competition among companies in a Global scale that drive innovation will be reduced. Everything for the most part will be produced in country, and it will be more expensive. Forget about cheaper products because that pool of cheaper materials or labor is gone.

There will be winners in an era post Globalization. The US for example… It just has too many advantages (Both Geography and society wise). It has Oil independence, food is not a problem, the population is not too old, and it’s a vast country that could still spark that competition among companies for the local market.   

The losers will be the countries that went “full retard” on Globalization. I for one welcome the change, but there are many, many losers in this population decline… end of Globalization future era.

15 hours ago, connda said:

Confused?

Not at all except when someone obfuscates dialog with off track topics. 

I agree otherwise regarding acceptance of foreign labor should be welcomed in Thailand both from economic and fertility viewpoints. Trafficking into Thailand wouldn't exist if Thailand government accepted stateless, refugee and otherwise undocumented foreigners into the Thai workforce. Why not make illegal trafficking into a legal migration? Especially when the world's most powerful economy the US continues to punish Thailand for its decades of failure to solve human trafficking into Thailand.

20 hours ago, WDSmart said:

A drastic reduction in the human population would be a very good thing for the Earth's biosphere,

I guess give credit to Russia under Putin who has lost over 300,000 Russian men to the Ukraine war and counting more every day for reducing humanity. Or to the US under President Trump who saw over 1 million Americans die from Covid pandemic as he dismissed its danger.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Srikcir said:
21 hours ago, WDSmart said:

A drastic reduction in the human population would be a very good thing for the Earth's biosphere,

I guess give credit to Russia under Putin who has lost over 300,000 Russian men to the Ukraine war and counting more every day for reducing humanity. Or to the US under President Trump who saw over 1 million Americans die from Covid pandemic as he dismissed its danger.

Yes, although tragic, these deaths do help reduce the overall population, but not as much as you would think since most of the men probably already sired children. I would, however, propose a more humane method, like a one-woman one-child policy. That would reduce our population by about 90% in about 350 years. But, unfortunately, I don't think we even have enough time for that. We're already "over the cliff" as far as destroying the Earth's biosphere is concerned. There's no fixing it now. But reducing our population would help push out the timeline. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JGon said:

What you’re describing is the end of Globalization. Every country for the most part will eventually take care of themselves. For Globalization to be successful it needs people. Fewer people and it’s not sustainable. What will happen is that developing countries that didn’t rise out of poverty in the era of Globalization won’t have access to the larger markets or foreign investments. Life will be much tougher and they will try to migrate to “better pastures”.

Forget about International Markets. The way companies and countries expand their markets by going beyond National borders will be drastically reduced. So, businesses won’t be able to increase their customer base... and most importantly the competition among companies in a Global scale that drive innovation will be reduced. Everything for the most part will be produced in country, and it will be more expensive. Forget about cheaper products because that pool of cheaper materials or labor is gone.

There will be winners in an era post Globalization. The US for example… It just has too many advantages (Both Geography and society wise). It has Oil independence, food is not a problem, the population is not too old, and it’s a vast country that could still spark that competition among companies for the local market.   

The losers will be the countries that went “full retard” on Globalization. I for one welcome the change, but there are many, many losers in this population decline… end of Globalization future era.

If course there will be many losers and alot of pain. But, it is the only path forward. Continued population growth will be far worse. 

This is a huge blessing for the planet and our quality of life.

We just have to get Africa, and especially the Muslim nations on board. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Hooray!!! 

Factories in China nowadays are full of robots. China is a producer of industrial robots. And China is a leader in A.I. China produces millions of STEM graduates each year. Only countries that produce too few STEM graduates, such as Thailand, should worry about a falling birth rate because those countries would have a harder time automating their farms, factories and offices.

A lower population may be a good thing. Less demand on finite natural resources.

What would happen to Europe? The Muslims would become the majority.

How about the US? The Blacks and the Latinos would become the majority.

How about China? The Han Chinese would still be the overwhelming majority.

I actually do not think the financial responsibility contributes to it much at all.

From what I see, it is related to the general pussification and feminity of Asian males.  And,  the continued western attitudes of females.  Not a good mix I bet young people rarely have sex or put the effort into consciously making babies now a days.  It is the Friends, phone, Facebook generation.

Much more important to them then f.....g and making babies.

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2023 at 1:52 PM, Asquith Production said:

Its proof that people are poorer and its seems taking responsibility by not bringing someone into the world that they cannot afford to look after.

The record everywhere in the world is that poor people produce the most children because that's the only social security system they have, quite apart from not having access (materially or culturally) to reasonable contraceptive methods. As economies modernize, those who move up with the economy reduce the number of children they produce.

My Thai Khmer family here in south Surin are an example of this process. My PIL (3 years older than me) has had around 8 children by 2 marriages. My MIL (6 years older than me) has had at least 12 by 3 marriages. The last was my b/f who popped out unexpectedly one day as she was cutting sugar cane when she was 45. The 6 children of the last marriage have produced between them 9 children. Of those, 2 females are now of 'marriageable age' (18 & 21) but have produced no babies as yet ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It just doesn't make financial sense. Having lots of kids is a moral thing. Personally, i'd do this if I saw a better world ahead. To put them into  a world of hurt seems stupid. Nevertheless, my extended family does their thing. Talk about birth rates, it's like exponential. Attractive guys and seductive women will so their thing.

• Haha 1

500K babies is for sure a very very low figure but as long nothing improves her in terms of earnings I can believe most will not want to do it. Basically the only way to have a somewhat nice life here is if you are both a couple, earning 20K a month, then renting a 2-3K place, that makes life pretty nice for Thai possibilities.

8 minutes ago, Shetraveler said:

Maybe women are choosing not to have kids.  All the work falls on women & why bring kids into a world when all they will do is struggle on a dying planet?

Oh please go back to live under your rock already with a dying planet, the planet is well and alive. If something is threatened it is the human race.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I actually do not think the financial responsibility contributes to it much at all.

From what I see, it is related to the general pussification and feminity of Asian males.  And,  the continued western attitudes of females.  Not a good mix I bet young people rarely have sex or put the effort into consciously making babies now a days.  It is the Friends, phone, Facebook generation.

Much more important to them then f.....g and making babies.

WTF is wrong with you?  Please go back to your own country and leave your toxic masculinity there. 
I wouldn't touch you with some one else's p*ssy.
Women can make their own choices today; so m*n like you don't stand much of a chance.
Are you one of the men who asks how much a wife/girlfriend cost?

On 12/23/2023 at 8:13 AM, Gsxrnz said:

The world birth rate is 2.3  https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN?locations=TH-1W

And the entire western world is well under 2.0 https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN?locations=TH-1W&view=map

We are on the way to population decline and eventual extinction, but nobody is talking about it except Uncle Elon.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
Why bring others into a capitalist hell?

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 3:03 PM, WDSmart said:

I don't know about the sperm count, but I agree that "there are already far too many people in this world." I don't know what you mean about "one specific group," but I'd probably not agree with that.

Actually, there have been studies about this & the microplastics are interfering with hormones. 

9 minutes ago, Shetraveler said:

Actually, there have been studies about this & the microplastics are interfering with hormones. 

I don't doubt that. Microplastics are interfering with everything else in the biosphere. :sad:

On 12/24/2023 at 4:23 PM, spidermike007 said:

Completely wrong. Many are predicting China's birthrate to fall to half of what it is now, within 40 short years. Many simply refuse to bring kids into today's world, or one at most. Very smart. 

Who are these "many" that you are referring to? So-called "China experts" from the West? Didn't you notice that so many predictions about China have been wrong in the past? Look at how desperate the US is in trying to contain the rise of China. How come? Because their "China experts" have mostly been wrong in their predictions.

One thing I noticed about China is that their government is pretty good at solving problems. Air pollution problems? Huge improvement in their cities already. Poverty problems? Extreme poverty mostly gone. 

15 hours ago, Selatan said:

Who are these "many" that you are referring to? So-called "China experts" from the West? Didn't you notice that so many predictions about China have been wrong in the past? Look at how desperate the US is in trying to contain the rise of China. How come? Because their "China experts" have mostly been wrong in their predictions.

One thing I noticed about China is that their government is pretty good at solving problems. Air pollution problems? Huge improvement in their cities already. Poverty problems? Extreme poverty mostly gone. 

There is some truth to that. But, how are they going to solve their ghost city problems and the impending financial crisis? They are so dependent on the real estate sector, and millions are in big trouble and upside down, on their "so called safe investments".

I don't think the CCP can bail out these firms, nor their people, many of whom are now fleeing the big cities. China is facing some major headwinds.