Expat vs Economic migrant

Celsius

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

These are what I like to call the pathetic farangs. 

So broke they can't even afford a round down the local pub.

Do us a favor fellas and go home will you, you are letting the side down badly!

bob.

Reduced to the bare essentials I suppose. Ignore everything except for the capacity to piss it all up the wall!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, anandra said:

are you drunk my friend? My post was a reply to Celcius, who told that economic migrants must get out of Thailand, including teachers. So I said in my post if Thais can be economic immigrants working in about a hundred countries in the world, or inviting workers from their neighbour countries, why others must get out, yes if Thai government gives them permission to work or open business

Celsius has not told anybody that they "must get out of Thailand"   

Thai's, as far as I am aware  do not have any inherent right to work anywhere except Thailand , Should they wish to, however, they may apply and if they meet the requirements they might be granted permission.

I am willing to bow to your obviously superior knowledge if you can name just 10 countries were a Thai can just turn up and start working, without any paperwork in place.

You might be surprised to know that nobody on this forum has any authority to tell anybody what to do

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

Celsius has not told anybody that they "must get out of Thailand"   

Thai's, as far as I am aware  do not have any inherent right to work anywhere except Thailand , Should they wish to, however, they may apply and if they meet the requirements they might be granted permission.

I am willing to bow to your obviously superior knowledge if you can name just 10 countries were a Thai can just turn up and start working, without any paperwork in place.

You might be surprised to know that nobody on this forum has any authority to tell anybody what to do

you still did not get me, I was not denying work permits from any side, he said the if a foreigner is not rich and coming to Thailand to work he is an economic immigrant, and should not come to Thailand

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, anandra said:

you still did not get me, I was not denying work permits from any side, he said the if a foreigner is not rich and coming to Thailand to work he is an economic immigrant, and should not come to Thailand

What a load of rubbish

I suppose that I was an economic migrant according to you.

I have lived and worked in 38 different countries in 50 years, including 4 different jobs in Thailand, 3 in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Qatar, Kuwait, Dubai, Abu Dhabi and a few more I could look up if I was bothered.

I was an expat in all of those countries and sent there to live and work for a salary, so how was I an economic migrant. 

You really ought to understand the term expat before you blather off again.

I retired to Thailand in 2001 to live but worked offshore as well. I lived in Thailand between jobs with my Thai wife and son.

Does that qualify me as an economic migrant according to you?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, anandra said:

Do you agree with him ?  If so define "rich"  what do you draw the line at?

• Confused 1

On 12/23/2023 at 4:43 PM, Baht Simpson said:

Very few of us are immigrants let alone economic migrants. We literally enter the country with a non-immigrant status visa which expires on entry and is converted to a permit to stay, which can be extended when financial requirements are met. We are permit holders. 

Those who bend or flout the rules could be classed as such but there's not too many of them. If you are not seeking a job or living on social security and can support yourself you're not an economic migrant, however little you spend.

If you can't support yourself in your home country with that amount, you are an economic migrant, otherwise not.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

An economic migrant is also an expat, because you can not really migrate to here officially. Anyway, I think it is extremely funny when people here are bashing those who are trying to do it on a small budget, while the majority of others here barely has a budget of more than 80K a month themselves.

Small minds talk about people. Average minds talk about events. Great minds talk about ideas.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 1

On 12/24/2023 at 9:31 AM, Scouse123 said:

Right,

So you are asking British people to emigrate from Britain, to allow illegal boat people to immigrate?

I bet the government hasn't thought of that one.

Why not distort the context, par for the course on here.

Net migration is the difference between emigration and legal migration. Apologies if you found that a bit difficult.

On 12/24/2023 at 1:23 PM, NoshowJones said:

Free healthcare Sandy yes, but from some reports, some people are dying because of the time they have to wait to get that healthcare, or even to see a doctor.

Indeed, over 10% of the population now on hospital waiting lists. I know some that have forked out to go private rather than wait, but not an option open to all.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:47 AM, Celsius said:

It seems to me that a lot of posters here are not expats, but rather economic migrants.

When I read some posts here I am astonished with amazement to read.....

"I use an agent because I can't meet financial requirements."

"I rely on gofundme and luck from above for medical treatments"

"I would rather live poor in Thailand than poor in Europe"

"I teach English in Thailand"

Thailand is no place for the poors

Are you The Grinch?

58 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why not distort the context, par for the course on here.

Net migration is the difference between emigration and legal migration. Apologies if you found that a bit difficult.

No,

You just want to whinge on here that your pension is frozen.

That isn't what the thread is about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/23/2023 at 2:09 PM, Wrwest said:

Too broad. Might have quailed as “many”. I sold all property and cannot afford a working middle class retirement in the USA on my sustainable $2400.00 a month ($1526.00 of that from SS). But I am not forced to call Thailand home … there are other lower cost countries hosting millions of the western retired working middle class. While I do not actively “bash” the USA, as a student of history I am very familiar with failures to reach the ideals.

America has abandoned their own.  better to spend money on things that kill children.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

America has abandoned their own.  better to spend money on things that kill children.

I'm more of ... people make wrong choices in life.  If you rely on America (USA govt) for your survival, then you simply planned to fail, since not having your own plan for independence.

Relying on others is usually being a let down.  A lesson most should have learned as a teen or earlier.

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm more of ... people make wrong choices in life.  If you rely on America (USA govt) for your survival, then you simply planned to fail, since not having your own plan for independence.

Relying on others is usually being a let down.  A lesson most should have learned as a teen or earlier.

there are no choices. your choices are made for you the day you are born. who you where born to, where you where born and genetic factors that govern you. its science not superstition.  unfortunately America places its faith in God and therefore relieves itself of any moral responsibility for its own citizens.  unlike some other countries that provide basic social services to its citizens and are more more pragmatic and less theocratic.

Edited by malibukid
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, malibukid said:

there are no choices. your choices are made for you the day you are born. who you where born to, where you where born and genetic factors that govern you. its science not superstition.  unfortunately America places its faith in God and therefore relieves itself of any moral responsibility for its own citizens.  unlike some other countries that provide basic social services to its citizens and are more more pragmatic and less theocratic.

Humans have the ability to learn and think for themselves.  Whether or not you utilize that ability is UP2U

That's a choice, and many more choices after that one, if you choose.  If not ... oh well.   Entrust your life to someone else, and live with the consequences, if YOU choose to.

You can't fix stupid

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Humans have the ability to learn and think for themselves.  Whether or not you utilize that ability is UP2U

That's a choice, and many more choices after that one, if you choose.  If not ... oh well.   Entrust your life to someone else, and live with the consequences, if YOU choose to.

You can't fix stupid

free will is a myth its been proven.  your destiny  is governed by a series of complex environmental and genetic factors.  cancer for example has a strong genetic component to it and so do learning disorders.  and yes i have studied this. to deny this is to deny science. 400 years ago they the Spanish where burning people at the stake for being possessed.  this is still going on by proxy in America for people who have disabilities and who are relegated to the streets to face a cruel death due to no fault by their own.  time to end these ridiculous Horatio Algiers fairy tales.

Edited by malibukid

34 minutes ago, malibukid said:

free will is a myth its been proven.  your destiny  is governed by a series of complex environmental and genetic factors.  cancer for example has a strong genetic component to it and so do learning disorders.  and yes i have studied this. to deny this is to deny science. 400 years ago they the Spanish where burning people at the stake for being possessed.  this is still going on by proxy in America for people who have disabilities and who are relegated to the streets to face a cruel death due to no fault by their own.  time to end these ridiculous Horatio Algiers fairy tales.

I'm living proof that you are wrong.

image.png.14c2fe7848faa6445e371174b1c3da7b.png

• Like 1

To be blunt, if they are coming from a more affluent country it's people that are running out of money and/or were not successful in that home country for some reason. Everything you could have in Thailand is available in the better country if you can afford it. You will hear every excuse under the sun as to why people don't think that applies to them.

Don't overthink it and make it more complicated then it needs to be.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

To be blunt, if they are coming from a more affluent country it's people that are running out of money and/or were not successful in that home country for some reason. Everything you could have in Thailand is available in the better country if you can afford it. You will hear every excuse under the sun as to why people don't think that applies to them.

You can't buy better weather or the outdoor social stuff.

I would say i was pretty successful in my home country.

My assets go up irrespective of what country i reside.

To be blunt, what you on about?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, noobexpat said:

You can't buy better weather or the outdoor social stuff.

I would say i was pretty successful in my home country.

My assets go up irrespective of what country i reside.

To be blunt, what you on about?

So you're blaming it on the weather 🤣

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:52 AM, KhunLA said:

Have retirement  / oops fund for more that a few decades in TH, more like the wife does, as decade (1) would be a stretch for me.

Hope you are not planning on leaving, any time soon.

Remain positive.

Anyway, as for me....

Give me life in Thailand, or...

Give me death anywhere else.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Don't overthink it and make it more complicated then it needs to be.

Nonsense.  It's not a 'one size fits all' deal  --there are all sorts of reasons why people choose places to live.  

• Sad 1