Turns out it was Dengue.

giddyup

14 hours ago, novacova said:

The last sentence of the study you quoted reads:  "clinical studies are required to obtain conclusive evidence of anti-dengue properties of doxycycline."

This from April 2023 (note the last sentence):

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40506-023-00263-w

"Doxycycline, a broad-spectrum tetracycline-class antibiotic and antimalarial, has shown some efficacy as an antiviral against DENV1-4 in vitro by inhibiting NS2B-NS3 protease activity, resulting in reduced viral entry and replication [64]. A randomized clinical trial (with no placebo control arm) in Brazil, testing doxycycline for its efficacy as an anti-inflammatory drug in dengue infection showed reduction in pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-6 and TNF in the treatment group compared to patients receiving standard symptomatic and supportive care [65]. A case–control study in India showed that doxycycline-treated dengue patients showed faster recovery of platelet and leukocyte counts and reduced hospital stay [66]. However, these studies so far have not been robust double-blind randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials with defined end point measurements. One such clinical trial (CTRI/2018/01/011548) is currently registered in India to study the efficacy of doxycycline as a dengue antiviral in a pediatric population and could clarify whether doxycycline has use as dengue therapeutic."

So, I must admit what you are doing is not as absurd as it sounds. 

It may (may!) be a good idea,  but that's not sure at all.

Doxycycline does have side effects,  though. 

One tablet of doxycycline after being bitten won't have much of a side effect - but, as another poster noted,  are you going to take it after every single mosquito bite? Otherwise,  how do you figure out which bite is a high risk bite?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lorry said:

The last sentence of the study you quoted reads:  "clinical studies are required to obtain conclusive evidence of anti-dengue properties of doxycycline."

This from April 2023 (note the last sentence):

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40506-023-00263-w

"Doxycycline, a broad-spectrum tetracycline-class antibiotic and antimalarial, has shown some efficacy as an antiviral against DENV1-4 in vitro by inhibiting NS2B-NS3 protease activity, resulting in reduced viral entry and replication [64]. A randomized clinical trial (with no placebo control arm) in Brazil, testing doxycycline for its efficacy as an anti-inflammatory drug in dengue infection showed reduction in pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-6 and TNF in the treatment group compared to patients receiving standard symptomatic and supportive care [65]. A case–control study in India showed that doxycycline-treated dengue patients showed faster recovery of platelet and leukocyte counts and reduced hospital stay [66]. However, these studies so far have not been robust double-blind randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials with defined end point measurements. One such clinical trial (CTRI/2018/01/011548) is currently registered in India to study the efficacy of doxycycline as a dengue antiviral in a pediatric population and could clarify whether doxycycline has use as dengue therapeutic."

So, I must admit what you are doing is not as absurd as it sounds. 

It may (may!) be a good idea,  but that's not sure at all.

Doxycycline does have side effects,  though. 

One tablet of doxycycline after being bitten won't have much of a side effect - but, as another poster noted,  are you going to take it after every single mosquito bite? Otherwise,  how do you figure out which bite is a high risk bite?

Never implied taking a doxy tab after every bite. Take another read. Though do apply the concoction whenever bitten by a mosquito or koon. I would suggest anyone terrified of mitigating a possible infection to not bother with it🙂

On 12/25/2023 at 10:47 AM, novacova said:

That paper does indeed seem to show some beneficial effects of doxycycline in relation to dengue.

But again, on reading the full paper, what it seems to be saying is that there are results indicating doxycycline has an inhibitory effect on dengue virus replication in vitro - and that when a patient is hospitalized for dengue fever, treatment with doxycycline leads to an improvement in cytokine levels:

"within 3 days of treatment and continuing through Day 7."

I still don't see where it supports the idea that taking one, solitary doxycycline tablet after a mosquito bite is an effective prophylaxis to stop dengue from taking hold in the first place. 

As @Lorry points out, it also says that further clinical studies are required, to confirm the effects.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

On 12/24/2023 at 6:51 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

One down , several to go: 

Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes include malaria, dengue, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever,[1] filariasis, tularemia, dirofilariasis, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis,[2] Venezuelan equine encephalitis, Ross River fever, Barmah Forest fever, La Crosse encephalitis, and Zika fever,[2] as well as newly detected Keystone virus and Rift Valley fever. 

Nearly 700 million people get a mosquito-borne illness each year resulting in over 725,000 deaths.

One study found Dengue virus and Zika virus altered the skin bacteria of rats in a way that caused their body odor to be more attractive to mosquitoes !

Interesting ! You get more females  for a visit and they get all infected then, so it spreads.

To date, there are relatively few vaccines against mosquito-borne diseases, this is due to the fact that most viruses and bacteria caused by mosquitos are highly mutatable. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) began Phase 1 clinical trials of a new vaccine that would be nearly universal in protecting against the majority of mosquito-borne diseases.

It is a miracle im still alive

Thank you for the information, I think.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for the information, I think.

Wouldnt too much upset you, as there are way more other tiny animals worms, viruses which can effect you bad :cheesy: 

Give you one extra, Lyme disease transmitted by ticks and you sure have ticks in Thailand.

Or for that matter this one in Thailand, you only have to touch this animal for a real negative effect.

It is in Thai, but it shows for itself. My wife came with it once

If you see the movie then you will watch out for this beetle. Up to 1 cm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paederus

You get infected by it , just by touch, takes 12-36 hours to show you, it did touched you. It is on his body.

It doesnt bite. So be aware getting rid of it when on your body 

If you notice then washing with soap is the only thing to do and then wait. If i red wiki right.

It starts with a rash and then get worse and takes up to 3 weeks to go down again.

Edited by xtrnuno41
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Wouldnt too much upset you, as there are way more other tiny animals worms, viruses which can effect you bad :cheesy: 

Give you one extra, Lyme disease transmitted by ticks and you sure have ticks in Thailand.

Or for that matter this one in Thailand, you only have to touch this animal for a real negative effect.

It is in Thai, but it shows for itself. My wife came with it once

If you see the movie then you will watch out for this beetle. Up to 1 cm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paederus

You get infected by it , just by touch, takes 12-36 hours to show you, it did touched you. It is on his body.

It doesnt bite. So be aware getting rid of it when on your body 

If you notice then washing with soap is the only thing to do and then wait. If i red wiki right.

It starts with a rash and then get worse and takes up to 3 weeks to go down again.

Thank you for more even more information.

AFAIK we don't have ticks in the house, or at least I don't think we have, as I haven't seen any, but they are very small.

I don't remember seeing beetles indoors either or I would do my best to stamp them out.

Very small black ants in the house, yes, nasty biting red ants that lurk in the trees or grass, plenty of them. The odd snake or two and flies by the zillion. Lots of (wasps, bees or hornets) as well, but no honeycombs.

Just a normal part of rural living, that you don't notice them after a while.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thank you for more even more information.

AFAIK we don't have ticks in the house, or at least I don't think we have, as I haven't seen any, but they are very small.

I don't remember seeing beetles indoors either or I would do my best to stamp them out.

Very small black ants in the house, yes, nasty biting red ants that lurk in the trees or grass, plenty of them. The odd snake or two and flies by the zillion. Lots of (wasps, bees or hornets) as well, but no honeycombs.

Just a normal part of rural living, that you don't notice them after a while.

Well still be aware. Last year I was confronted with tiny cobra in mother in law's  house (first ever since mom lived there for long time, dog had found it)and some later when i was cutting grass with bushcutter, I saw a snake flying in front of me. It was hit by the bushcutter and after landing did an attack. It missed me, happily.

It sat down then and i could see what is was, a Malaysian pit viper ! Checked on internet.

One of those snakes that will stay put and dont go away and are highly grumpy.

I was very happy the bush cutter met it first.

Probably should have killed it then (I didnt) as my wife later also had the encounter with it(or other one?) but on same place.

So the place is to be aware, have to change the surrounding to more open, so they cant hide. It seems.

Have met some more snakes (dog is a true good warning animal) and even a snake's nest with 5 eggs. One cracked and had snake inside.

Last year was certainly snake year for me. DOnt need that.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Well still be aware. Last year I was confronted with tiny cobra in mother in law's  house (first ever since mom lived there for long time, dog had found it)and some later when i was cutting grass with bushcutter, I saw a snake flying in front of me. It was hit by the bushcutter and after landing did an attack. It missed me, happily.

It sat down then and i could see what is was, a Malaysian pit viper ! Checked on internet.

One of those snakes that will stay put and dont go away and are highly grumpy.

I was very happy the bush cutter met it first.

Probably should have killed it then (I didnt) as my wife later also had the encounter with it(or other one?) but on same place.

So the place is to be aware, have to change the surrounding to more open, so they cant hide. It seems.

Have met some more snakes (dog is a true good warning animal) and even a snake's nest with 5 eggs. One cracked and had snake inside.

Last year was certainly snake year for me. Don't need that.

I use nylon cords on my brush cutter which hopefully will slice a snake into shreds,

I also wear jeans, rubber welly boots, with a steel toecap and soleplate, and football socks for lower body protection.

The guys that cut the scrub sometimes use the steel blade and that will chop snakes into mush

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I use nylon cords on my brush cutter which hopefully will slice a snake into shreds,

I also wear jeans, rubber welly boots, with a steel toecap and soleplate, and football socks for lower body protection.

The guys that cut the scrub sometimes use the steel blade and that will chop snakes into mush

I also use the iron blade, But snake was probably lucky then, as i saw no blood or anything other weird.

The snake was just groggy and I lifted it up on a rake to put it on other side of the wall.

Really exciting all, guess my adrenaline was sky high

I should do at least leather boots with toecap, I saw on Lazada , still not done.

Maybe rubber is too soft and they can penetrate. Pangolin and Cat are there with quite a price difference.

Cat more expensive due to import USA? But seems Pangolin is also doing in safety wear, worldwide.

Show you Pangolin. Looking great, though? Well there are more brands.

Did search on "caterpillar safety boots" and then find leather ones.

image.png.4eb044cae5ffa976f24ff06bb3adc259.png

Also cover body totally, especially when it gets to shimmer, the mosquitoes find me, the bitches love me.

And when they bite, I get big itchy allergy bumps. Last year, just 5 minutes outside and bitten 6 times everywhere!

Only seen one once, on belly, killed her, but too late.:annoyed:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

I also use the iron blade, But snake was probably lucky then, as i saw no blood or anything other weird.

The snake was just groggy and I lifted it up on a rake to put it on other side of the wall.

Really exciting all, guess my adrenaline was sky high

I should do at least leather boots with toecap, I saw on Lazada , still not done.

Maybe rubber is too soft and they can penetrate. Pangolin and Cat are there with quite a price difference.

Cat more expensive due to import USA? But seems Pangolin is also doing in safety wear, worldwide.

Show you Pangolin. Looking great, though? Well there are more brands.

Did search on "caterpillar safety boots" and then find leather ones.

image.png.4eb044cae5ffa976f24ff06bb3adc259.png

Also cover body totally, especially when it gets to shimmer, the mosquitoes find me, the bitches love me.

And when they bite, I get big itchy allergy bumps. Last year, just 5 minutes outside and bitten 6 times everywhere!

Only seen one once, on belly, killed her, but too late.:annoyed:

Thank you for the information.

My wellies stop at the knee and I think (and hope) that if a snake does get around to biting me the fangs will get caught in my jeans first, following that the wellies, following that the socks before it actually get to me.

At 79, with a knackered left knee and a buggered up back, I move slowly enough for any snake to sneak away from the noise and vibration of the brush cutter.