Turns out it was Dengue.

giddyup

One down , several to go: 

Diseases transmitted by mosquitoes include malaria, dengue, West Nile virus, chikungunya, yellow fever,[1] filariasis, tularemia, dirofilariasis, Japanese encephalitis, Saint Louis encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, Eastern equine encephalitis,[2] Venezuelan equine encephalitis, Ross River fever, Barmah Forest fever, La Crosse encephalitis, and Zika fever,[2] as well as newly detected Keystone virus and Rift Valley fever. 

Nearly 700 million people get a mosquito-borne illness each year resulting in over 725,000 deaths.

One study found Dengue virus and Zika virus altered the skin bacteria of rats in a way that caused their body odor to be more attractive to mosquitoes !

Interesting ! You get more females  for a visit and they get all infected then, so it spreads.

To date, there are relatively few vaccines against mosquito-borne diseases, this is due to the fact that most viruses and bacteria caused by mosquitos are highly mutatable. The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) began Phase 1 clinical trials of a new vaccine that would be nearly universal in protecting against the majority of mosquito-borne diseases.

It is a miracle im still alive

• Like 1

2 hours ago, novacova said:

I keep a mixture of mupirocin and doxycycline and whenever I’m attacked by a mosquito then apply it on the bite. If I suspect the mosquito is infected with dengue then pop a doxy tab. I’ve been bitten twice this year and only applied mupirocin/doxy. I’ve taken a doxy tab once as a dengue prophylactic. Had dengue before, never again.

your remedy will not stop or block you getting dengue fever ...   

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

It is NOT contagious. Only from that damned female mosquito.

Where do you think the mosquito got it, and how it is transmitted ?

Damn humans ... :giggle:

"Aedes aegypti has evolved into an intermittent biter and  prefers to bite more than one person during the feeding period. This mechanism has made Aedes aegypti a very highly efficient epidemic vector mosquito."

"Dengue virus is transmitted to humans through the bites of infected female Aedes mosquitoes. Mosquitoes generally acquire the virus while feeding on blood of an infected person. After virus incubation for 8-10 days, an infected mosquito is capable, while feeding, of transmitting the virus to humans for the rest of the mosquito's life.

Immunity to one of the four types of viruses does not protect a person from infection by another type.'

2 hours ago, novacova said:

I keep a mixture of mupirocin and doxycycline and whenever I’m attacked by a mosquito then apply it on the bite. If I suspect the mosquito is infected with dengue then pop a doxy tab. I’ve been bitten twice this year and only applied mupirocin/doxy. I’ve taken a doxy tab once as a dengue prophylactic. Had dengue before, never again.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, novacova said:

That's really dangerous, not only does that not work against dengue but it will also lead to antibiotic resistance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

sure it will 

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

That's really dangerous, not only does that not work against dengue but it will also lead to antibiotic resistance.

One tab used as a prophylactic certainly is not dangerous 

6 hours ago, Lorry said:

Neither doxycycline nor mupirocin (both antibiotics) have any effect on the dengue virus. Doxy tabs are not a prophylactic against Dengue. 

Sue it does 

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh…but you’re so wrong considering clinical studies have proven otherwise. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25858261/

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Only female mosquitoes bite people 

But what about trans males ...

... call me a bigot, but I don't let any of those suckers in the house.

On topic, think i had dengue once, early on here, and it's not pleasant, if a semi bad case.  Knocks you for a loop.  Flu symptoms X 5 ... talk about sore all over.

And antibiotics don't work on viral infections.  Just treat the symptoms, is best you can do.  As most things, it will pass in couple week at worse.

Unless you get the hemorrhage version ... then you're screwed.   I think most know by now, getting one strain, doesn't protect you from the other 3, and supposedly repeat infections are worse.

Cover up out there, especially below the waste when having that full English brekke, as they do love the cover of 'under the table' feeding.  Basstards

Edited by KhunLA

18 minutes ago, novacova said:

sure it will 

One tab used as a prophylactic certainly is not dangerous 

Sue it does 

oh…but you’re so wrong considering clinical studies have proven otherwise. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25858261/

"Conclusion: The above findings suggest that doxycycline can provide a clinical benefit to dengue patients at high risk of complications. This effect could be mediated by decreasing pro-inflammatory cytokine levels."

I'm reading the as protection against other infections, due to a compromised immune system being quite busy fighting the dengue virus.  Not the virus itself, or as a PrEP.

Unless you actually see the mozzie, (quite a distinguishing look), then taking doxy every time you get bit isn't a good idea, as you may build a tolerance to it's effectiveness when you do need it ... or so I read.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Unless you actually see the mozzie, (quite a distinguishing look), then taking doxy every time you get bit isn't a good idea, as you may build a tolerance to it's effectiveness when you do need it ... or so I read.

would be nice to see a link for that? or maybe it's a myth that keeps getting repeated

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I had it before.  The Doctor told me,the second case of it can be much worse.

Glad to hear you are doing better

https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/article/detail/Dengue-Fever

I had it 7 years ago and then again 1 month ago...I was under the assumption severe (2nd) case would be worse...it was bad but not as bad as 1st time...I've now read there are 4 strains, so could possibly get again. It has been prevelant in Pattaya this year

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

"Conclusion: The above findings suggest that doxycycline can provide a clinical benefit to dengue patients at high risk of complications. This effect could be mediated by decreasing pro-inflammatory cytokine levels."

I'm reading the as protection against other infections, due to a compromised immune system being quite busy fighting the dengue virus.  Not the virus itself, or as a PrEP.

Not going to build up a resistance taking a single docy once or twice a year, nor by applying topical. I’ll continue to do whatever preventative measures to avoid dengue. Anyone else is simply welcome to deny it.

10 minutes ago, baansgr said:

I had it 7 years ago and then again 1 month ago...I was under the assumption severe (2nd) case would be worse...it was bad but not as bad as 1st time...I've now read there are 4 strains, so could possibly get again. It has been prevelant in Pattaya this year

That's good to know, and 1st was enough for me, and would hate to get a worse case.  Definitely put that up there with the worst symptoms of any infection that I've had.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a wimp when it comes to infections.  Thankfully not prone to them.  Pain I can deal with, but breathing congestion & sore joints (all of them), not pleasant.  Not to mention digestive issues purging from both ends.   Got to love sharing :giggle:

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, Lorry said:

Neither doxycycline nor mupirocin (both antibiotics) have any effect on the dengue virus. Doxy tabs are not a prophylactic against Dengue. 

Correct. They have  no preventive effec t against dengue whatsoever.

Doxycycline  does have some use as prevention for malaria but for that, must be taken daily starting 102 days before entering the malarial area and then for a month after leaving it. In Thailand, malarial areas are few and mostly deep jungle.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Doxycycline  does have some use as prevention for malaria but for that, must be taken daily starting 102 days before entering the malarial area and then for a month after leaving it. In Thailand, malarial areas are few and mostly deep jungle.

102 days before, or 1-2 days?

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:
18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounded like Dengue when you mentioned it before especially as your GF had it

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

It is NOT contagious. Only from that damned female mosquito.

True, it is not contagious. But we humans act unwittingly as vectors. The virus is passed on from one victim to the next by the mosquitoes as they go around collecting their blood meals. Malaria is passed on in the same way.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Why deny any measure of prevention? 

https://www.ijcp.in/Admin/CMS/PDF/11. InternalMedicine_IJCP_JULY_2018.pdf

IMG_1504.jpeg

Edited by novacova

17 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

"While they can seem pointless and purely irritating to us humans, mosquitoes do play a substantial role in the ecosystem. Mosquitoes form an important source of biomass in the food chain—serving as food for fish as larvae and for birds, bats and frogs as adult flies—and some species are important pollinators".

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/mosquitos-exist-elephants-donkeys-used-represent-gop-democrats-180973517/#:~:text=While they can seem pointless,some species are important pollinators.

I very nearly substituted the word Australians for Mosquitoes but please note that I didn't. :))

What have you got against Australians?