Mintmobile eSIM

NanLaew

I just got off the phone with Mint and the international roaming is 10 bucks per day or 40 bucks for 7 days.  So each time I need an OTP from my US bank It will cost me 10 bucks.  VERY lousy deal.

If anyone comes up with a carrier that works for the banks sms,  I'd sure be thankful to know.  On that note,  I tried both Google voice and skype (both paid) but neither worked for my banks.

• 2 months later...

I’ve got this same problem.  When I came to Thailand this time, I had a Mint Mobile SIM card.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of removing it from my phone to install a Thai SIM card.  I left the Mint Mobile SIM card on the nightstand and forgot it was there.  The maid threw it away when she cleaned my room and I didn’t realize it right away. So, no more US number and no way to do 2FA. Google Voice for my US number wouldn't work.

I’ve since switched to using a Thai eSIM, so that much works. 

My bank still recognizes my IPad, but that’s about it.  Anyway, I’m not really in the mood to fly all the way to the USA just to activate a U.S. phone number.

On 4/27/2024 at 7:27 PM, jas007 said:

I’ve got this same problem.  When I came to Thailand this time, I had a Mint Mobile SIM card.  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of removing it from my phone to install a Thai SIM card.  I left the Mint Mobile SIM card on the nightstand and forgot it was there.  The maid threw it away when she cleaned my room and I didn’t realize it right away. So, no more US number and no way to do 2FA. Google Voice for my US number wouldn't work.

I’ve since switched to using a Thai eSIM, so that much works. 

My bank still recognizes my IPad, but that’s about it.  Anyway, I’m not really in the mood to fly all the way to the USA just to activate a U.S. phone number.

I had a similar problem and moved over to a Pay-as-you-go from T-Mobile. I did it all from Thailand..... here's the thread:

• 5 months later...

I was updating my PayPal contact numbers and they no longer accept Skype or Vyke as they are VOIP numbers. They DID accept Skype several years ago, but I have changed my Skype number and PayPal wouldn't accept the new one.

I bought the 1-day package on my mint mobile so I could sort out PayPal but the balance vanished before I could do anything. I will be letting my mint mobile eSIM expire at the end of December when the next billing cycle is due. Their data packages are neither worth it nor practical for 2FA purposes.

A friend of mine is using a Tello eSIM that he set up online while here in Thailand. It's $5.50/month and works for 2FA with his banks and online stuff.

Anyone else using Tello?

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I will be letting my mint mobile eSIM expire at the end of December

You may be able to port out your Mint number to UltraMobile's $3/month (includes 100 SMSes) PAYG plan. I think Mint and UltraMobile are part of Tmobile. I was able to port my TMobile SIM/number out to UltraMobile's $3/month plan. This plan supports WiFi calling, and SMS'es are delivered reliably.

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

You may be able to port out your Mint number to UltraMobile's $3/month (includes 100 SMSes) PAYG plan. I think Mint and UltraMobile are part of Tmobile. I was able to port my TMobile SIM/number out to UltraMobile's $3/month plan. This plan supports WiFi calling, and SMS'es are delivered reliably.

It's probably in this or other threads but remind me, is the UltraMobile setup something that can be done from Thailand or needs to be activated over a US network? And is it SIM or eSIM?

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It's probably in this or other threads but remind me, is the UltraMobile setup something that can be done from Thailand or needs to be activated over a US network? And is it SIM or eSIM?

If setting up a new UltraMobile, the sim needs to be installed in a phone and then connected to their network in the US.  AFAIK they only offer service via sim.  I have one and use True on an esim simultaneously for local Thai service.

I ordered an UltraMobile sim sent to my US based friend who registered it for me and then sent it to me in Thailand.  It's working great in my iPhone XR.