Foreigners recently moved to SSO Voluntary Insurance, did you get an SSO plastic card?

scorecard

As per the heading, folks recently changed to the payment per month by auto debit to your personal bank account, did the SSO send you a personal plastic SSO member card?

If yes, how many days/weeks for the card to arrive.

Would you please share any personal experiences with this.

Thanks.

Just go to their office and request a card. It's a simple procedure and takes only moments. Best to take a Thai as the form is in the local language.

The person usually fills your details in for you once you present your passport and gets you to sign the form. Time from application to receiving card - a few weeks.

Did you get your lump sum yet?

I haven't changed recently. However, they used to send out cards but then stopped doing so. The office told me they now just use the pink cards and changed over their records to use my pink card number. Been working great.

I seem to recall someone saying a year ago (or so) that the office will give out a special SSO card, however. Guess you'll need to go by the office. In larger offices at least (Laem Chabang), a staff member can be rounded up who speaks enough English to get you through the procedure at the right window. You may just need to sign in a couple of places. I suggest you write a note w/ your request on your phone, translated into Thai, and show the receptionist to receive guidance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hughrection said:

Just go to their office and request a card. It's a simple procedure and takes only moments. Best to take a Thai as the form is in the local language.

The person usually fills your details in for you once you present your passport and gets you to sign the form. Time from application to receiving card - a few weeks.

Did you get your lump sum yet?

Thanks. Yes I have already received the members contributions payout.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

IF a special card can be obtained would be worth having and keeping in your wallet at all times IMO in case you are in an emergency and need to be hospitalized elsewhere under the "72 hour emergency" scheme as they otherwise tend to assume foreigners are not covered by SS.

I agree with Sheryl.

I am employed so my contribution is compulsory and it is via direct debit.

I used to receive a paper card many years ago. Different colour every year.

I still keep the last one in my wallet 'just in case'. (2556)

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

IF a special card can be obtained would be worth having and keeping in your wallet at all times IMO in case you are in an emergency and need to be hospitalized elsewhere under the "72 hour emergency" scheme as they otherwise tend to assume foreigners are not covered by SS.

Yeah I have a card.

HR Dept at work had it in my file.

4 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

I agree with Sheryl.

I am employed so my contribution is compulsory and it is via direct debit.

I used to receive a paper card many years ago. Different colour every year.

I still keep the last one in my wallet 'just in case'. (2556)

Ask your HR peeps.

I did and they hard a plastic card with details in my employee folder.

Posted (edited)

Some questions for all foreigners who have retired and moved to SSF Voluntary Insurance scheme:

1. Seems that what now the standard practice is that the SSO set up a process to remove the monthly members fee direct from the bank account number given by the foreigner. Any comments?

2. I've been given some info from other sources which seems to indicate that the SSO activate their system to take the monthly fee from the foreigners bank account always on the 15th of each month?  Is that true?  Any comments?

3. Obviously I can check my bank balance on my K Biz internet banking screens end of day on the 15th, however do you get an e.mail from the bank or from the SSO confirming they have received the monthly contribution?  Any comments?

4. I offered the SSO a K Bank joint savings account but they (The Chiang Mai office) declined that and requested a savings account in my name only. ANy comments?

Appreciate if you would please share any relevant comments, thanks.

Edited by scorecard

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

2. I've been given some info from other sources which seems to indicate that the SSO activate their system to take the monthly fee from the foreigners bank account always on the 15th of each month?  Is that true?  Any comments?

I get an SMS around the 21st of every month: "Thank you for paying Social Security installment, MM/YY".

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

I offered the SSO a K Bank joint savings account but they (The Chiang Mai office) declined that and requested a savings account in my name only. ANy comments?

No comment. Mine's in my own name.

I am Thai(Naturalized) and couldn't get a card, but managed to get them to link my National ID card to show I am covered.

I complained to the head office in Bangkok and they said I should get a card and asked me to go back the the Hua HIn office and phone them when I was there so they could speak to the officer.

They changed their story and said I couldn't get one because I was a foreigner! What he meant was that the first number on my ID card wasn't the same as natural born Thais. I couldn't be bothered arguing or taking it further although I have a feeling they just don't like giving farang these cards.

On 1/3/2024 at 10:18 PM, scorecard said:

3. Obviously I can check my bank balance on my K Biz internet banking screens end of day on the 15th, however do you get an e.mail from the bank or from the SSO confirming they have received the monthly contribution?  Any comments?

I don't get an email but it is always on the 15th. KrungThai.

On 1/3/2024 at 10:18 PM, scorecard said:

Some questions for all foreigners who have retired and moved to SSF Voluntary Insurance scheme:

1. Seems that what now the standard practice is that the SSO set up a process to remove the monthly members fee direct from the bank account number given by the foreigner. Any comments?

4. I offered the SSO a K Bank joint savings account but they (The Chiang Mai office) declined that and requested a savings account in my name only. ANy comments?

Appreciate if you would please share any relevant comments, thanks.

Since spoken to the officer on the 1506 hotline:

- The SSO funds receivable is set up to take member contributions from members bank a/c on 15th of each month (for the previous month), if 15th is on a Sat, Sun or public hol, the system automatically waits and takes the member funds on the next working day.

Cannot be a joint savings account, must be an a/c in the name of the SSO member only.