Gaston Glock death: Billionaire inventor of the Glock handgun who knocked out a professional wrestler assassin sent to kill him aged 70 and 'revolutionised the world of small arms' dies aged 94

CharlieH

image.png

The Glock handgun's reclusive billionaire inventor, Gaston Glock, who 'revolutionised the world of small arms', has died aged 94.

The Glock company said in a statement that the life's work of its founder would 'continue in his spirit'.

As well as being utilised by security personnel, armed forces, gun owners and criminals worldwide, the weapon has also become an American pop culture staple, featuring in several Hollywood blockbusters. 

Despite his success, Glock, who once knocked out a professional wrestler hired to assassinate him, has been portrayed as a reclusive character who enjoyed spending much of his time at an Austrian lakefront estate.

He managed to avoid media coverage for most of his life, but gained attention in 2012 when a book about his business was published, after a divorce from his first wife Helga in 2011.

Charles Ewert, who managed Glock's affairs in Luxembourg, attempted to have him killed in the late '90s.

The hired attacker, who was a professional wrestler, hit him seven times on the head with a rubber mallet but Glock, who was 70 at the time, managed to knock him out.

Ewert - also known as Panama Charly - was sentenced to 20 years in jail for having organised the attempted murder in a Luxembourg car park. 

'Gaston Glock charted the strategic direction of the Glock Group throughout his life and prepared it for the future,' the company said.

It also noted that he had 'revolutionised the world of small arms' and 'succeeded in establishing the Glock brand as the global leader in the handgun industry'.

Glock was born in 1929 and went on to study mechanical engineering in Vienna. 

In 1963 he founded his own consumer goods firm in the town of Deutsch-Wagram, 20 kilometres (12 miles) outside of the capital. 

FULL STORY

MAILONLINE.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, 2baht said:

660 gun dead Americans in 2023, yee haw! :whistling:

10s of 1000s killed by auto ... ???

It's a machine, people are the problem.

Agree with others, one of best, safest sidearms out there.  My 'go to' when out of the house at USA.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, 2baht said:

660 gun dead Americans in 2023, yee haw! :whistling:

I also had a SCAR17s, 2 44 mags, over-under 22-410, pistol grip Winchester 12g and a few others. Never shot a living thing, though spent countless thousands of rounds. Though I’m thrilled it gets in the crawl of the wingnuts, brings me great joy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, novacova said:

I also had a SCAR17s, 2 44 mags, over-under 22-410, pistol grip Winchester 12g and a few others. Never shot a living thing, though spent countless thousands of rounds. Though I’m thrilled it gets in the crawl of the wingnuts, brings me great joy.

Just be careful of Americans, they like shooting each other! :thumbsup:

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Cars, in modern times, have become essential for transportation and daily life, while guns are not necessary for most people’s everyday activities.  Therefore, comparing the two is not relevant.

In your opinion only. as I've never needed a car.  Only owned for convenience.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 2baht said:

I don't need a gun! Never needed one!

There were a few times I fired off rounds to spook off some bears in the Okanagan, I don’t think anyone in there right mind would wander around in the boonies in some area of Alaska and the northern areas of the Pacific Northwest. But no one needs a firearm until they need one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2baht said:

Just be careful of Americans, they like shooting each other! 

If you drill down the FBI statistics, you'll find that there are certain demographics that do most of the shooting, and the getting shot.  I don't worry about it so much where I live.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

There is something seriously wrong in your society if this is necessary.

"My 'go to' when out of the house at USA."

Yup.  No doubt.  But that's reality...  You wanna pass by the crazies like these unarmed, be my guest.  And if you live in or even visit a big city, you will pass by these crazies.

Edited by impulse

35 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

yeah I have a .45 in the safe.

Prolly should check to see if I have any bullets for it.

I used to have a chromium plated model 1911.

But that was just a popgun compared to my .357 magnum, or my Weatherby .460 magnum wild buffalo gun.

The finish on the Weatherby stock was to die for.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

You never needed a car so you dispute this.

"Cars, in modern times, have become essential for transportation".

The level of reasoning is astounding.

There is something seriously wrong in your society if this is necessary.

"My 'go to' when out of the house at USA."

I never needed the Glock either, or any of my toys, so not a necessity, and all is lovely in that society ... when I lived there.

9 hours ago, Tug said:

He had a good run,the glock is imo a good weapon I have one myself (safely stored) ready if need be hopefully never!

You MAGA gun nut preppers are something else.

He was a very skilled individual. RIP.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

How sad that you are terrified of going outside without carrying a gun that’s bizzare and just plain weird are you compsating for some lack of something?just paranoid?or just feel inadequate?sad

terrified ... that's what you got from my post :cheesy:

quite the imagination

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tug said:

Why else would you carry in public?fear or some need to act macho ie a perceived lack of something.with the exception of the worst gang riddled intercity areas as a whole America is very safe and law abiding other than the odd nutter your odds of that happening to you are exceptionally slim 

Better to have and not need as they say.

I was a manager of a couple high volume petrol stations, and had to make daily bank deposit for the one.  The other, armored truck picked up, as not in a good hood.  Which I had to drive through.  Sticking out like white on rice.  Car jackings weren't a thing back than, but no worries with the POSs I drove.  But some idiot might realize my routine and think I'm carrying money.

I was a truck driver, long & short.  I was a slum lord, and self employed (chimney sweep) that took me to some shady areas.  And lived in a couple houses while rehabbing them.   So yes, having some protection seemed like common sense to me.

Again, never truly needed.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

In your opinion only. as I've never needed a car.  Only owned for convenience.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I was a manager of a couple high volume petrol stations, and had to make daily bank deposit for the one.  The other, armored truck picked up, as not in a good hood.  Which I had to drive through.  Sticking out like white on rice.  Car jackings weren't a thing back than, but no worries with the POSs I drove.  But some idiot might realize my routine and think I'm carrying money.

You mentioned that you ‘had to’ drive through a challenging neighborhood regularly, which implies a certain level of necessity or obligation.

Yet, in another context, you stated that you’ve never needed a car and only owned one for convenience.

These statements seem to contradict each other.

Could you please clarify this apparent inconsistency?”

• Haha 1