Gaston Glock death: Billionaire inventor of the Glock handgun who knocked out a professional wrestler assassin sent to kill him aged 70 and 'revolutionised the world of small arms' dies aged 94

CharlieH

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

You mentioned that you ‘had to’ drive through a challenging neighborhood regularly, which implies a certain level of necessity or obligation.

Yet, in another context, you stated that you’ve never needed a car and only owned one for convenience.

These statements seem to contradict each other.

Could you please clarify this apparent inconsistency?”

I could have taken public transportation to just about anywhere, if not everywhere I ever needed to be.  At worse, a taxi or rent a car, for the very rare instances, if any, that were a necessity, not along public trans route.

Location dependent of course.   With that, vehicle ownerships is a luxury for convenience.  That's not considering use of a bicycle.

Never 'needed' a car, though quite different from 'wanting & having', since I do enjoy my O&As.   Don't need one here, as I could train & taxi to a convenient airport, then fly to Phuket or where ever, and taxi to beach areas.

Just more 'convenient' & enjoyable for me to self drive.   But not necessary.   Actually know a couple people that have never owned a car, in USA, and quite strange to me.

Many expats here do not own transport, as it is a huge monthly expense.  Instead use baht bus system, especially at Hua Hin & Patts, as you see them loaded up at times from shopping at chain markets, so no tourist.  Part of the reason they settled there, I would think.

I personally wouldn't be without 1 or 2-3 modes of transport.  Having 4 now, car, mb, ebike, pedal bike.  Had as many as 7 in USA at 1 time, only 1 being a pedal bike, rest all petrol machines.  In my silly days, one for every occasion, work, comfy, play, play & play :giggle:

ON TOPIC ... as always, better to have Glock, if and when needed, than not.  Although, same as 4 wheels, never really needed.  Simply enjoyed having.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I could have taken public transportation to just about anywhere, if not everywhere I ever needed to be.  At worse, a taxi or rent a car, for the very rare instances, if any, that were a necessity, not along public trans route.

Location dependent of course.   With that, vehicle ownerships is a luxury for convenience.  That's not considering use of a bicycle.

Never 'needed' a car, though quite different from 'wanting & having', since I do enjoy my O&As.   Don't need one here, as I could train & taxi to a convenient airport, then fly to Phuket or where ever, and taxi to beach areas.

Just more 'convenient' & enjoyable for me to self drive.   But not necessary.   Actually know a couple people that have never owned a car, in USA, and quite strange to me.

Many expats here do not own transport, as it is a huge monthly expense.  Instead use baht bus system, especially at Hua Hin & Patts, as you see them loaded up at times from shopping at chain markets, so no tourist.  Part of the reason they settled there, I would think.

I personally wouldn't be without 1 or 2-3 modes of transport.  Having 4 now, car, mb, ebike, pedal bike.  Had as many as 7 in USA at 1 time, only 1 being a pedal bike, rest all petrol machines.  In my silly days, one for every occasion, work, comfy, play, play & play :giggle:

ON TOPIC ... as always, better to have Glock, if and when needed, than not.  Although, same as 4 wheels, never really needed.  Simply enjoyed having.

Your post seems to be full of inconsistencies, but I will only address one of them, in this post.

You initially stated you “never needed a car” and only owned one for convenience.

However, you are now stating instances where you might need to rent a car or take a taxi, which would seem to contradict your initial claim of never needing a car.

Could you possibly clarify this apparent inconsistency?

Thank you for reminding me about the topic even though what lead us here was your irrelevant digression of comparing 'auto' deaths to gun deaths.

37 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

Your post seems to be full of inconsistencies, but I will only address one of them, in this post.

You initially stated you “never needed a car” and only owned one for convenience.

However, you are now stating instances where you might need to rent a car or take a taxi, which would seem to contradict your initial claim of never needing a car.

Could you possibly clarify this apparent inconsistency?

Thank you for reminding me about the topic even though what lead us here was your irrelevant digression of comparing 'auto' deaths to gun deaths.

You just don't stop ... do you understand the true meaning of 'need' = must have.

Due to more than enough public trans, at every location I ever 'needed' to be, that means, I never 'needed' to own a car.

And if you really want get picky, my first 2 damn good jobs, 1 was along the rail line & bus, though I walked unless raining, instead of bus.   Train was actually faster & cheaper.  And the 2nd, I walked to/from, until a bought a car ... for convenience.

That's from the house I grew up in, which I purchased at 27 yrs old.  There was 2 factories right across the street I could have worked in, as brother & friends did.  

So could easily remained in that '15 minute city' all my life.  Just preferred not to, and owned cars, trucks, MCs, bikes for convenience.

Could easily walk to the shopping mall from that house.  So I really never needed a car.  Same as here, it's a convenience, and an expensive one at that, considering the % of monthly funds needed to own a decent one, when total monthly bills without a car, could be in the 20k baht range.

Our petrol car here cost about 10k to own & operate.  So not exactly a small ticket item, taking up 1/3 of a monthly budget.

Please don't bother replying again, as I'll ignore you. image.png.d7942c7e3d058fcc9bd2107abae84aba.png

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You just don't stop ... do you understand the true meaning of 'need' = must have.

Due to more than enough public trans, at every location I ever 'needed' to be, that means, I never 'needed' to own a car.

Everyones needs are different.

I need to have a car.

35 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Everyones needs are different.

I need to have a car.

Agree

Just amazed me how someone, who doesn't know much about me, tells me what 'I need'.  Even after I explained in details, why I don't.  

Mind boggling

Almost the first 2 years here/TH, I didn't own a car, and lived in a village 15 kms out of town, and managed quite well.  Even traveling the length of the country.  UT-BKK-CM-Phuket on numerous trips via air & ground (train/bus) transport.  Hopping from beach to beach down the W Gulf coast was rather easy, from Cha Am to Chumphon.   Even back then.

On Topic ... no Glock needed or allowed :cheesy:

unless a young female at the hands of drunken train employee ...

... discussion for another thread.

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

And if you really want get picky, my first 2 damn good jobs, 1 was along the rail line & bus, though I walked unless raining, instead of bus.   Train was actually faster & cheaper.  And the 2nd, I walked to/from, until a bought a car ... for convenience.

That's from the house I grew up in, which I purchased at 27 yrs old.  There was 2 factories right across the street I could have worked in, as brother & friends did.  

So could easily remained in that '15 minute city' all my life.  Just preferred not to, and owned cars, trucks, MCs, bikes for convenience.

Could easily walk to the shopping mall from that house.  So I really never needed a car.  Same as here, it's a convenience, and an expensive one at that, considering the % of monthly funds needed to own a decent one, when total monthly bills without a car, could be in the 20k baht range.

Our petrol car here cost about 10k to own & operate.  So not exactly a small ticket item, taking up 1/3 of a monthly budget.

Please don't bother replying again, as I'll ignore you. image.png.d7942c7e3d058fcc9bd2107abae84aba.png

The bottom line of this discussion is that your post:

'In your opinion only. as I've never needed a car.  Only owned for convenience'

is totally unfounded.

QED

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Agree

Just amazed me how someone, who doesn't know much about me, tells me what 'I need'.  Even after I explained in details, why I don't.  

Mind boggling

Almost the first 2 years here/TH, I didn't own a car, and lived in a village 15 kms out of town, and managed quite well.  Even traveling the length of the country.  UT-BKK-CM-Phuket on numerous trips via air & ground (train/bus) transport.  Hopping from beach to beach down the W Gulf coast was rather easy, from Cha Am to Chumphon.   Even back then.

On Topic ... no Glock needed or allowed :cheesy:

unless a young female at the hands of drunken train employee ...

... discussion for another thread.

Enjoy the New Year!

Edited by LosLobo
  • Haha 1