Do you believe in insurance?

georgegeorgia

I am told , that if you have taken out income protection insurance usually in countries like the UK or Australia and you don't mention you had high blood pressure once etc they still take your premiums every month

...BUT ...when you end up having a heart attack and lodge a Claim then they decline it......"back in 1932 you were recorded as having high blood pressure"  ....but we didn't mind taking your premiums for the last 25 years !!!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 2

One example. Friend was in Patong. Caught Dengue. Got quite sick. Covermore were fantastic. They can't reject most proper claims. Haven't seen them denied except on here and other media and normally the reasons make some sense. Don't see how talking about successful claims is narcissistic. 

I am trying to work out the best way to keep health insurance in Australia but be covered in Thailand. Credit card insurance should do the trick for initial 2 or 3 month trips. Some say it's useless but mine is identical to the paid for ones. Still have to pay in Australia though if both here and there. 

I think this Covermore , was the same insurance company who denied the Australian woman last year in Phuket who fell down the stairs drunk and went unconscious

I think they eventually gave in , I haven't kept up with the story 

But Covermore or any others they're all the same 

One thing though....very important is to read the fine print,some differ in moped like the story above this morning of the Aussie guy hurt on a moped accident in Bali 

They range in motor sizes apparently so some insurance will not insure you depending on the bike , 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I am told , that if you have taken out income protection insurance usually in countries like the UK or Australia and you don't mention you had high blood pressure once etc they still take your premiums every month

...BUT ...when you end up having a heart attack and lodge a Claim then they decline it......"back in 1932 you were recorded as having high blood pressure"  ....but we didn't mind taking your premiums for the last 25 years !!!

IP is the most scrutinised insurance, far more than life cover because the company could be paying out for the next 30 years.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I am trying to work out the best way to keep health insurance in Australia but be covered in Thailand. Credit card insurance should do the trick for initial 2 or 3 month trips. Some say it's useless but mine is identical to the paid for ones. Still have to pay in Australia though if both here and there.

That's a difficult one because you have to be in Australia to use the medical services (private health insurance Australia)

You may never need it and it's expensive, the question is ,why do you need it ?

If you say do get cancer in Thailand or wherever you are , you can come back to Australia and use the free  public health system,

ok the public health system is not the best but at least your saving that $150 a month or whatever your paying in private health insurance when you probably won't need it 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I don't travel init, and if 3m baht in a Thai government hospital don't fix me then it's all over red rover anyway.

You don't take out travel insurance?

I guess it's not only medical reasons though 

It covers you ... supposedly...for public liability too ,so if your negligence in a accident your covered they say 

9 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Drunk is self inflicted, usually not covered, it's also the reason the FIRST test done on a hospital visit after a motor accident is for alcohol blood test.

Insurance will want to know alcohol wasn't involved.BUT if the Hospital don't do that test, then the insurance can refuse to pay.Yes you could argue the hospital was negligent but that just opens up a whole litigation battle.Which won't get your hospital bill paid or you released from hospital until YOU pay the bill.

I didn't think of that .

They probably would use that against you , that there was no alcohol test to determine

I wonder if that's somewhere in the fine print that none reads 

• Sad 1

I always wonder how my luck in claiming when I hop.on the back of a mb taxi

Is the driver licenced?

Is he drunk ?

They the insurance company would want to know all this for a claim 

And as I said ,the mb engine size , I never thought of all this 

Anyway most if the time they only want to get you back to your home country not treat you 

Give you an example,you hurt your arm  falling off a mb taxi on your second day on holiday, you end up in hospital needing treatment,their idea is to get you back to your home country not treat you so if it's just a broken arm you don't bother 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

It covers you ... supposedly...for public liability too ,so if your negligence in a accident your covered they say 

... nah, he means he ain't travling anyway, hence no insurance ...

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have number 2 car insurance, not sure how else I could cause an accident, unless a condom breaks :giggle:

33 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

That's a difficult one because you have to be in Australia to use the medical services (private health insurance Australia)

You may never need it and it's expensive, the question is ,why do you need it ?

If you say do get cancer in Thailand or wherever you are , you can come back to Australia and use the free  public health system,

ok the public health system is not the best but at least your saving that $150 a month or whatever your paying in private health insurance when you probably won't need it 

Fair point. The problem is that they have that rule in Australia where if you are over 30 and you don't get health insurance the premiums go up by 2 per cent each year. I haven't look that much into it but as far as I can tell if I stopped, then wanted to start later at say 60, I have to pay the going rate plus say 30 x 2 = 60 per cent extra. When you are over 60 you are most likely to need it most. The other thing is I have an old plan that is a bit better than the latest ones in terms of coverage and price so if starting a fresh they are a fair bit more expensive too.. 

I remember a few years ago there was a farang company in Pattaya offering insurance in case you got arrested, are they still around?

I didn't think it was that easy to start a insurance company in Thailand?

Haven't you got to be underwriting by a big company?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Insurance contracts have lots of "small print" and regulations.

No they do not, insurance policies have "policy conditions" that are, by law, not in small print.   Anyone who does not check them and then expects any/every claim to be paid out automatically is just daft.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1