Forum upgrade in progress! ×

What's the point of getting health insurance if serious conditions are excluded?

2 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Mike, I have spent the last 1 1/2 hours trolling through AN, reading as many HEATH Ins related posts as I can. AN does provide an invaluable service - but one is often referred back to posts going back to 2020.. On one one older forum, a moderator wrote - 'moved to INSURANCE''. what we need, respectfully, is a Health Insurance forum. id say its a minority that want to know about life ins. but everybody living here wants to know the latest on health ins. expecially since there is a new player in town, with (from what I am hearing from many sources ) has  a hazy corporate background.  I believe that AN would be doing a major service if it set up a separate forum topic...and it would attract a lot of new members who are lost for advice (the raison dêtre for AN) and why I subscribed in 1998 . thanks in advance

I agree that would be very useful, I'll point your post towards others here for their comments: @CharlieH and @Sheryl

23 minutes ago, paddypower said:

how are you eligible for ins. in Canada, unless you are covered and paying premiums under a provincial insurance plan AND you qualify under the residency rules. once we (Canuck couple) left, after 6 months, we did not qualify for BC Ins. 

You don't need to pay the premiums. You just need to be a resident.

It is true that in most provinces you need to wait 3 months to be eligible for healthcare. In Alberta, however, you are granted healthcare from day one provided that you intend to stay for 1 year (or file the resident tax at the end of the year perhaps).