Forum upgrade in progress! ×

What's the point of getting health insurance if serious conditions are excluded?

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

You need insurance for long therm debilitation but that seems to be something that isn't covered or won't be paid out on.

No you don't An advance directive (living will) will do nicely and a lot cheaper. If I ever reach that stage, I won't want to be around anyway thank you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

This is why I quit my health insurance last year.

There really is no point.

For things like heart attack I don't expect to pay more than 1 million baht. I will rather self insure.

For something like cancer I am sure the insurance will find million and one reason not to pay. So in that case I can fly back to Canada. 

for everything else, there is MasterCard.

In all seriousness, the insurance company last year refused a relatively cheap procedure (less than 25k baht) based on completely unrelated issue in my medical records - hiatal hernia. So, I am  not going to give those scam artists any of my money.

Heart attacks are interesting. Basically if you are alive after one day, you have an excellent chance of returning to a normal life without in-hospital treatment. Strokes are another issue, you can only hope the stoke kills you, and you can avoid living a low quality life. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, retarius said:

Strokes are another issue, you can only hope the stoke kills you, and you can avoid living a low quality life. 

Talking of strokes this was posted by Bangkok Pattaya Hospital today on facebook, interesting what they can do, a guy i know had a stroke and went there, bill was 1M+ baht, reading the list he had a mechanical thrombectomyScreenshot_2024-01-02-14-36-59-016_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.4bbcad995a1b1ec4410ca637ce365572.jpg

I have a friend who had a stroke in the latter half of 2022. He had a ridiculously expensive (2M Baht operation) but still can't cut up his own food....and can barely speak. Realistically I'd rather be dead. I think the medical technology is still in its infancy and so I don't much care for modern. Basically 'modern tech' to me means tech that hasn't been really tested yet. I'd rather stick with older stuff. 

As an example 3 super common drugs, omeprazole for tummies, ciprofloxacin and simvastatin have been on the market for 40 odd years and been in billions of people. Omeprazole was considered so safe it could be sold in pharmacies OTC. Then they found it had problems, not serious enough to pull it from the market, but to recommend against regular use. 

Ciprofloxacin was found recently to cause severe tendonitis. This can be pretty serious and so it is now not the recommended go to drug for infections. And simvastatin, for hypercholesterolemia, and was supposedly proven to to prevent heart attacks, strokes etc has been found to be atherogenic. Simva, like omeprazole has been given long term to billions of patients around the globe. 

This was supposed to be a response to Superscuba. 

Edited by retarius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A facebook post earlier today, in Pattaya, guy in a well known private hospital, can't afford his bill after a stroke, his insurance doesn't cover due to hypertension. 

It would have been better if he saved up the premiums and used it in the event of a medical emergency, i.e now.

I wonder how many of you guys out there have health insurance but it's inadequate and won't cover the conditions most likely to be claimed for such as heart and stroke

Sounds like they got him on the "related symptons" ruse. That and the "reasonable care" ruse for accidents are easy get-outs. 

• Sad 1

What Is Asymmetric Information?

Asymmetric information, also known as "information failure," occurs when one party to an economic transaction possesses greater material knowledge than the other party. This typically manifests when the seller of a good or service possesses greater knowledge than the buyer ...

Medical insurance is a classic case.

Edited by Lee65
  • Like 1

If you are a US citizen and plan for healthcare expenses in retirement, you could have stashed more than 4 million baht in an HSA, tax-free, for over a decade. The money in the HSA is investable in any form, like buying index funds, etc., and you can use their VISA or MC to pay for all your medical expenses. All my friends have HSA cards in the US. I have one stashed with money that earned 24% last year alone. I used it twice at Bangkok Hospital, Pattaya. Besides, I have credit cards, each with a credit limit close to one million baht. Hopefully, I can survive an emergency in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A facebook post earlier today, in Pattaya, guy in a well known private hospital, can't afford his bill after a stroke, his insurance doesn't cover due to hypertension. 

Maybe it was hypertension, preexisting condition, at the time of start of coverage? Which would make total sense in the case of stroke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

About insurance don't pay: A farang friend, living in Thailand for many years, had two strokes, one at home, after which he visited the hospital, and then he had another stroke in the hospital.

Bumrungrad, expensive in the hospital, and every follow up visit is expensive, and medication is expensive. And until now, maybe a year later, his private insurance paid everything.

So, it seems not all insurances are bad all the time.

Of course, one has to chose carefully, and preferably before sixty, and stick to it. I have been in my plan for 32 years, so I doubt they could find any preexisting condition. Not even Gonorrhea. Otherwise, I am 71 and totally uninsurable.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how many of you guys out there have health insurance but it's inadequate and won't cover the conditions most likely to be claimed for such as heart and stroke

Usually only when there are associated pre-existing conditions.  Heart and stroke treatments are not automatic exclusions from health insurance policies, in general.     

in Pattaya, guy in a well known private hospital, can't afford his bill after a stroke, his insurance doesn't cover due to hypertension. 

I wonder if he disclosed his pre-existing hypertension to his insurer at inception or renewal?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Celsius said:

In all seriousness, the insurance company last year refused a relatively cheap procedure (less than 25k baht) based on completely unrelated issue in my medical records - hiatal hernia.

Was that something that you failed to disclose to the insurer?  Any false declaration, or failure to disclose. could void the entire policy

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Maybe it was hypertension, preexisting condition, at the time of start of coverage? Which would make total sense in the case of stroke.

Yep based on the limited info his friend posted

• Thanks 1

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Was that something that you failed to disclose to the insurer?  Any false declaration, or failure to disclose. could void the entire policy

It wasn't. Otherwise how would they know about it. I send them my endoscopy results during my application.

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Usually only when there are associated pre-existing conditions.  Heart and stroke treatments are not automatic exclusions from health insurance policies, in general.     

they seem to be when hypertension is a pre-existing condition

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1