You are the prize! She is not. It's about you, not her. Change your attitude!

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

All retired with much younger women who are only with us for financial security... and after sh@gging them, we are left with loads of time to post on this forum because we have no interpersonal relationship with our sponsored significant other and no other life outside of our online world ????  :ninja:

That does seem to be the implication of some on this forum who lack the capacity to do anything else other than pigeonhole within their own limited experiences.

I suspect you imagine retirement to be far more exciting, or with more opportunities, than actually exist.

My gran used to sit in front of the fire knitting all day.

My mom and dad used to sit at the dining room table making a bottle or two of wine last in silence (unless I spoke).

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I suspect you imagine retirement to be far more exciting, or with more opportunities, than actually exist.

My gran used to sit in front of the fire knitting all day.

My mom and dad used to sit at the dining room table making a bottle or two of wine last in silence (unless I spoke).

I think you missed the sarcasm of my comment.....  in response to your sarcasm ("aren't we all retired with plenty of time to post" - assuming you were acknowledging my comment that we are all in fact different with different experiences). 

Edited by richard_smith237

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

My pre-2000 times was Uni... and if I could go back knowing what I know now...  wow... but then life would have taken a very different path perhaps... 

Same ...i graduated in 1997 

Funny when you give it some context when pre-2000 times are mentioned.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I always understood the sinod was just the groom's contribution to the cost of the wedding......no skullduggery there.

In many cases it is... but as with all nations, tradition and culture evolves often suiting whichever party is more dominant and often with generational and regional variations. 

Using the example of my Wife and I - a nominal sinsod was paid to keep up with the expected traditions, although I insisted that the amount was not 'announced' (as after attending numerous other weddings I found that somewhat crass)... InLaws agreed and no amount was mentioned....  

...  This is where mutual respect comes in, I was happy to respect tradition, but expected my wishes to also be followed. 

SinSod was returned.

There was also the 'envelope money' which I'd never considered before the marriage...  Brother in Law took care of that side of things (securing the Money which was rather a lot / amusingly locking it all in the boot of his car and then proceeded to get well and truly pished up at the after party !!!)... Mother In Law totted it all up a few days later (making a list of who paid what which kind of gets reciprocated to the next generation)... we were given the 'envelope money' which paid for the whole wedding, diamond rings etc... 

InLaws never needed any of the money, its much easier when its like that and I somewhat sympathise with those in a different situation whose extended family not only 'need' the money, but their 'local' culture expects it as some form of recovery of the costs of bringing up a daughter or whatever cultural reasons are in place for the SinSod. 

As far as SinSod is concerned - I personally disagree with it in modern times, but also see that there is no 'one size fits all' tradition - the actual tradition varies dramatically from family to family and that is also evolving as attitudes in Thailand modernise...

... I've been at weddings with 50 million Baht SinSod, I've been at Weddings with 50,000 Baht SinSod, I've been at weddings with well to do Thai's were no SinSod was paid...     As with everything in Thailand... 'up to you' seems to be the common theme here and everything is flexible...  

I would also point out there is an element of guys getting ripped of by ex-working girls etc...  married with Children etc and I think the Op is directed more towards those relationships, so I somewhat agree... but the sweeping generalisations don't fit all situations. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 3:21 AM, JensenZ said:

To even comment on your successful relationship, we'd need to know the age gap, and how old you and your wife were when you got married. In this discussion, age makes a big difference.

Apologies for the late reply. Age gap 5 years, married in 1992 which made me 29 and the Mrs born 1967, so 26. Next? 3 years difference.

Edited by South