Wat Phra Dhammakaya denies association with Yore sect amid misleading media reports

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-01-04-125320.jpg

Wat Phra Dhammakaya, a revered Thai temple, has officially announced its lack of association with the Yore sect, in response to misleading information presented by certain online media outlets today.

The temple emphasised its position as a devout Buddhist institution under the Thai Sangha, adhering to the principles of Dhamma and Vinaya discipline.

The temple’s clarification came after a news article falsely linked the Yore sect to Wat Phra Dhammakaya. This misleading report originated from an interview with a husband who disclosed his wife’s devotion to the religious sect.

Wat Phra Dhammakaya firmly denied any involvement with the beliefs or practices of this group, reported Khaosod.

The temple, governed by the Mahathera Association, stressed that the dissemination of false news might constitute a breach of the law.

Wat Phra Dhammakaya called upon the public to be aware of this fact and urged for the correct information to be propagated.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo courtesy of สำนักสื่อสารองค์กร วัดพระธรรมกาย (Facebook)

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

lived right across the road from this place for 4 years. what a treat it is. 

19 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The temple emphasised its position as a devout Buddhist institution under the Thai Sangha, adhering to the principles of Dhamma and Vinaya discipline.

ahhhhh this place looks like disney world on steroids. events from the past also contradict this statement. the new condo block that is going up now is much more gorgeous than the last ones they built. 

can anyone point me in the direction of where the discipline talks about mobile phones and air conditioned condos ?

Most Thai "Buddhists" whom I have met in Thailand are first and foremost Animists.  It's just that Animistic ritual is so interwoven into the fabric of Thai Buddhist ritual is difficult to pull them apart unless unless you were brought up in a different sect of Buddhist and can compare.  Anyway, there are strong undercurrents of more ancient religions under the surface of most Thai Buddhist temples, like it or not. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dhammakaya seems to be just another money hungry cult, pity as the founder is still one of the most revered monks. The only time we went to Wat Pakhnam we were hustled for donations as soon as we got there. The book My Life as a Siamese monk by Richard Randall is worth a read, he was there in the early 50's when it was authentic. It's not regular Thai Buddhism. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/10/thailand-authorities-seek-disrobe-scandal-hit-buddhist-abbot

Edited by proton
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

This controversial temple has been flying under the radar since the sensational 23-day siege in 2017, in an attempt by the military Junta to arrest Abbot Phra Dhammajayo.

He is still MIA.

I was on a song taew with a group of monks around the time of his mysterious disappearing act. I said right out I didn't believe he was still in the temple, and had done a runner. One of the monks swore blind (well, not exactly) that he was still there. But no. Vanished. Just like that. It was a truly weird episode.

On 1/4/2024 at 2:33 PM, connda said:

Most Thai "Buddhists" whom I have met in Thailand are first and foremost Animists.  It's just that Animistic ritual is so interwoven into the fabric of Thai Buddhist ritual is difficult to pull them apart unless unless you were brought up in a different sect of Buddhist and can compare.  Anyway, there are strong undercurrents of more ancient religions under the surface of most Thai Buddhist temples, like it or not. 

Same as with Christianity ...