Best all-round Thai restaurant in Rawai area

Baz Erckens

What are the best all-round (not seafood only restaurants) Thai restaurants in Rawai area.

Nothing too fancy, but also not a the common tourist padthai stall.

Something that is comparable to "Khao Thom Saka 5" in the Phuket town if anybody knows that.

hmm ... I question the use of a restaurant named Khao Thom as a baseline for good Thai food.

Hopefully they serve more than Khao Thom, and I couldn't find them on Gmaps or elsewhere.

Good Luck

On 1/5/2024 at 4:07 AM, Baz Erckens said:

What are the best all-round (not seafood only restaurants) Thai restaurants in Rawai area.

Nothing too fancy, but also not a the common tourist padthai stall.

Something that is comparable to "Khao Thom Saka 5" in the Phuket town if anybody knows that.

Moo's is well known near to SCB and Laguna, I was eating Khao Thom every other day a couple of months back when I had dengue, she gets busy in the mornings she used to do dim sum, 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Moo's is well known near to SCB and Laguna, I was eating Khao Thom every other day a couple of months back when I had dengue, she gets busy in the mornings she used to do dim sum, 

Mr Moo was my favorite and best all-round restaurant for 15 years, all the food not only the Khao Thom is excellent and reasonably priced.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 2:01 AM, KhunLA said:

hmm ... I question the use of a restaurant named Khao Thom as a baseline for good Thai food.

Hopefully they serve more than Khao Thom, and I couldn't find them on Gmaps or elsewhere.

Good Luck

There u go https://maps.app.goo.gl/hd1dVjFxiyi4q1YL6

Why would u question the use of such a restaurant as a baseline? It is not a Khao Thom place, but a very well rounded Tahi restaurant, not a street stall and not a high so fancy tourist trap.

It is very popular with the local Thais and packed every evening. Generally no farangs there, only Thais. I know a lot of good thai thai restaurants in and around phuket town, but need some inspiration for Rawai.

On 1/5/2024 at 4:49 PM, stevenl said:

For what you're looking for I recommend Kan Aeng. Not the one at the pier but a bit further down. Close enough to rawai.

Thanks, will check it out. Looks good, almost too fancy already. :)

17 hours ago, ChipButty said:

10 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Mr Moo was my favorite and best all-round restaurant for 15 years, all the food not only the Khao Thom is excellent and reasonably priced.

You guys probably speaking of this one, right? https://maps.app.goo.gl/UMMML8xEzMTaH61e6

thanks, will check it out. Will probably do my own restaurant mongering, too and report back if I found something good.

1 hour ago, Baz Erckens said:

Thanks, will check it out. Looks good, almost too fancy already. :)

Not what I would call a local Thai place, yes it's good and a good location but expensive, 160 baht for a bottle of chang beer,

3 hours ago, Baz Erckens said:

There u go https://maps.app.goo.gl/hd1dVjFxiyi4q1YL6

Why would u question the use of such a restaurant as a baseline? It is not a Khao Thom place, but a very well rounded Tahi restaurant, not a street stall and not a high so fancy tourist trap.

It is very popular with the local Thais and packed every evening. Generally no farangs there, only Thais. I know a lot of good thai thai restaurants in and around phuket town, but need some inspiration for Rawai.

My go to place daytime in Phuket Town used to be Uptown opposite Expo, the restaurant has closed and is now Only Yum which seems to be getting good reviews.

Saturday nights with western friends used to be Thammachat (Natural) followed by drinks at Timber Hut.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, LosLobo said:

My go to place daytime in Phuket Town used to be Uptown opposite Expo, the restaurant has closed and is now Only Yum which seems to be getting good reviews.

Saturday nights with western friends used to be Thammachat (Natural) followed by drinks at Timber Hut.

Natural is a fine place, too, especially their phuket pork dish with 7 chinese spices.

Edited by Baz Erckens
  • Thumbs Up 1

I used to go to Mr Moo quite a bit.  Not sure if it's your taste but we thought everything was good enough to return.  Won't cost you much to give it a try. There's also Stadium Cafe, a pub past the Chalong police station on the left down the road a bit.  I liked the food there usually.  More of a night spot https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ywins8cpD3cmjfkG9

Edited by LikeItHot

On 1/6/2024 at 6:35 PM, LosLobo said:

Second for Mr Moo.  Yum moo krop was delish.  Used to eat in or get takeout there all the time. 

• 1 month later...

Give this place a try right on the beach road facing the ocean "Poached" if you fancy a breakfast, If just me and my wife go we normally order a "Big Al's Breakfast" we share it, and they make all their own bread, they have HP sauce, good coffee well worth a visit, last Sunday I ordered a bacon and egg roll 

https://poachedbreakfastcaferawai.com/menus/  

On 2/27/2024 at 5:33 AM, ChipButty said:

Give this place a try right on the beach road facing the ocean "Poached" if you fancy a breakfast, If just me and my wife go we normally order a "Big Al's Breakfast" we share it, and they make all their own bread, they have HP sauce, good coffee well worth a visit, last Sunday I ordered a bacon and egg roll 

https://poachedbreakfastcaferawai.com/menus/  

With respect, 'Poached' is as far from a 'Thai' resturant as it is possible to be.   I live near to the original 'Poached' in Chalong, and can support all comments to its breakfast creduntials.   But Thai?   Rawai has become so international that it's not easy to get good/original Thai food.   Stretch the search towards Phuket Town and Vichit may be better.   That said, 'We Cafe' in Rawai is good, and is popular with Thai's as well as tourists.