UK Visitor Visa for someone technically unemployed

My partner of 20 years (Thai) and I (British) want to visit the UK following the completion of his Ph.D. in a few weeks' time - touring Scotland and visiting my old friends.  It's intended as a reward for the years of hard work he's put in on his research and dissertation.  However, technically (well, and actually) he'll be unemployed.  The plan is that he'll start looking for employment as a university lecturer after the visit.  Is it going to be a non-starter applying for a UK Visitor Visa and just a waste of time and money? Or is there a realistic chance of one being granted?

Other information:  he owns the house we live in, he has plenty of savings to support himself during the trip, though I'll be paying for all flights and accommodation, and we've made one similar visit a few years ago when he was working and before starting his Ph.D..

Any thoughts? Advice?

Thanks.

Much may depend on your situation.  Are you resident in Thailand ?   If you are paying for flights and accommodation, how will you do that ? It's really a matter of getting all your ducks in a row, and having done this once before will help immensely.

If you think that an agent might help, then try to use an agent who is also registered in the UK with the UK government approved OISC. I think there is only one who is OISC registered in the UK and who also has an office in Thailand - Thai Visa Express, based in Pattaya.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dont think job status has much to do with it, having assets/reason to return is what counts and he has that. Wouldn't bother with an agent, just tell the truth and I wouldnt see a problem IMHO.

My wife doesn't have a job other than running the house and taking care of the kids if I am away at work, she has been to the UK 3 times, the first 2 unmarried.

• Like 1