32 year old DUI

Hello,

‘My husband and I are hoping to move to Thailand as international teachers in the fall.  I am wondering if a DUI he received in 1992 will prevent him from getting a Non-B Thai Visa.  He has had no other issues with the law since that time.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, danaham said:

Hello,

‘My husband and I are hoping to move to Thailand as international teachers in the fall.  I am wondering if a DUI he received in 1992 will prevent him from getting a Non-B Thai Visa.  He has had no other issues with the law since that time.  Thanks for any info you can provide.

Too old to start as a teacher in Thailand.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

A criminal background would ease any concerns. One can pay for such a background check. If the DUI was a misdemeanor (most DUI's are) the records in most cases are not retained for 30 years.  

43 minutes ago, still kicking said:

How do you know his age?

He must be a minimum age of around 50 working on the assumption he was legally driving when charged with DUI in 1992. I am not saying that he is too old to start as a teacher in Thailand but I would assume that Celsius had "done the maths" and that is his opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, danaham said:

move to Thailand as international teachers

DUI he received in 1992 will prevent him from getting a Non-B

I read for teaching position a police check is required. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

I've been required to apply for security clearances most of my working life and all of them only cared about convictions in last 10 years.

I doubt teacher clearances in Thailand would be any different so a 32 year old DUI wouldn't even need to be mentioned?

Ask for the clearance form which will have the period of time for convictions 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Love It 1

23 hours ago, Robin said:

In UK there is a time limit after which convictions are automatically removed from your record.  I do not know if thi applies in USA, but check

Convictions are never removed from your record, they remain on the police data base for ever. However after a certain period of time, which depends on the nature of the conviction, they will not be disclosed following a request for a standard CRB  / DBS check.   I believe there is also an enhanced check specifically for those applying for more sensitive positions but I have no idea what the parameters are regarding disclosure of previous convictions should that check be required, but I would imagine , sex crimes , violent crimes, and drug related convictions will be disclosed regardless of when they occured 

59 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Convictions are never removed from your record, they remain on the police data base for ever. However after a certain period of time, which depends on the nature of the conviction, they will not be disclosed following a request for a standard CRB  / DBS check.   I believe there is also an enhanced check specifically for those applying for more sensitive positions but I have no idea what the parameters are regarding disclosure of previous convictions should that check be required, but I would imagine , sex crimes , violent crimes, and drug related convictions will be disclosed regardless of when they occured 

In the US, or at in California, drug and at least some violent crimes either go away after a while or are not disclosed.