Biden slams Trump for Capitol riot in 2024 campaign speech

CharlieH

46 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i tend to stay away from political arguments/debates. i never voiced a comment on brexit and so far i have stayed away from this farce in the united states. first reason why i never discussed brexit... i am not a brit and it is none of my business. about the usa, i am a dual american/canadian citizen but i do not vote in the states, so once again not my business and the biggest reason is that politics are divisive and the best way to make enemies that otherwise could easily be friends. that said, if i were to vote i would think twice about biden. when a leader cant stand on his own achievements and needs to use weak tactics like reminding everyone what trump did and how he is a bad bad bad man then thats it for me. WHOEVER talks like this and is supposed to be a great leader makes me look at him in total disbelief. i think the dems need to find a new head

What positive things does your man Trump say?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i tend to stay away from political arguments/debates. i never voiced a comment on brexit and so far i have stayed away from this farce in the united states. first reason why i never discussed brexit... i am not a brit and it is none of my business. about the usa, i am a dual american/canadian citizen but i do not vote in the states, so once again not my business and the biggest reason is that politics are divisive and the best way to make enemies that otherwise could easily be friends. that said, if i were to vote i would think twice about biden. when a leader cant stand on his own achievements and needs to use weak tactics like reminding everyone what trump did and how he is a bad bad bad man then thats it for me. WHOEVER talks like this and is supposed to be a great leader makes me look at him in total disbelief. i think the dems need to find a new head

This is a good point. If the Democrats had accomplishments to burnish Biden's reputation, they would use them. Democratic strategists are not stupid, they are skilled at the game. But apparently there aren't.  They tried "Bidenomics", but it didn't work at all- a large majority of Americans don't approve of how Biden is handling the economy. So the next step is scaremongering, as we can see in Biden's latest diatribe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Something else interesting from this speech was how Biden is 'handled'. Jill now comes on stage to take him by the hand and show him where to exit. So he can totter off without looking lost and confused.  

Also that the uber serious mantra of "beware January 6" is becoming an accepted part of the leftist catechism. It is becoming a yearly event, marked by furrowed brows and serious head nodding.

I must say though, it does show the strength of America's institutions that it could survive both a Trump AND a Biden presidency and stay intact.  Bravo my cousins!

You show an extreme lack of concern about rioters attempting to kill the vice president in the US Capitol.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Something else interesting from this speech was how Biden is 'handled'. Jill now comes on stage to take him by the hand and show him where to exit. So he can totter off without looking lost and confused.  

Watching the video, I believe he was referring to Jill when he claimed, "I understand power".

Or, maybe he did say "I like ice cream".  We'll have to wait for the Monday morning quarterbacks at the MSM to tell us.  They've walked back so many of his daft declarations...

• Confused 2
  • Love It 1

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

Watching the video, I believe he was referring to Jill when he claimed, "I understand power".

Or, maybe he did say "I like ice cream".  We'll have to wait for the Monday morning quarterbacks at the MSM to tell us.  They've walked back so many of his daft declarations...

You can go read Pravda, they are all over this.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Morch said:

You've been posting links to dodgy 'news' cites long before that.

If I ever post a link that's not factual, please show me where I'm wrong.  Unless, as I occasional do, I post a link to a site questioning it's validity.

If I post links to sources you don't like, tough noogies.  Life's tough, get a helmet.  

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You are seriously deluded:

Inflation and unemployment are down.

US manufacturing is up.

And there's more:

https://stephensoncountydemocraticparty.com/blog/f/here-are-23-of-joe-biden’s-greatest-accomplishments-as-president

1. Passed the $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure package to increase investment in the national network of bridges and roads, airports, public transport and national broadband internet, as well as waterways and energy systems. 

2. Helped get more than 500 million life-saving COVID-19 vaccinations in the arms of Americans through the American Rescue Plan. 

3. Stopped a 30-year streak of federal inaction on gun violence by signing the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act that created enhanced background checks, closed the “boyfriend” loophole, and provided funds for youth mental health. 

4. Made a $369 billion investment in climate change, the largest in American history, through the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. 

5. Ended the longest war in American history by pulling the troops out of Afghanistan.

6. Provided $10,000 to $20,000 in college debt relief to Americans with loans who make under $125,000 a year. This was struck down but the Supreme Court, however, the administration has announced a new plan to forgive billions in loans that were qualified under special programs but not done due to DOE mismanagement in previous years. Read the article above) 

7. Cut child poverty in half through the American Rescue Plan. 

8. Capped prescription drug prices at $2,000 per year for seniors on Medicare through the Inflation Reduction Act. 

9. Passed the COVID-19 relief deal that provided payments of up to $1,400 to many struggling U.S. citizens while supporting renters and increasing unemployment benefits. 

10. Achieved historically low unemployment rates after the pandemic caused them to skyrocket. 

11. Imposed a 15% minimum corporate tax on some of the largest corporations in the country, ensuring that they pay their fair share, as part of the historic Inflation Reduction Act.

12. Recommitted America to the global fight against climate change by rejoining the Paris Agreement. 

13. Strengthened the NATO alliance in support of Ukraine after the Russian invasion by endorsing the inclusion of world military powers Sweden and Finland. 

14. Authorized the assassination of the Al Qaeda terrorist Ayman al-Zawahiri, who became head of the organization after the death of Osama bin Laden. 

15. Gave Medicare the power to negotiate prescription drug prices through the Inflation Reduction Act while also reducing government health spending.

16. Held Vladimir Putin accountable for his invasion of Ukraine by imposing stiff economic sanctions. 

17. Boosted the budget of the Internal Revenue Service by nearly $80 billion to reduce tax evasion and increase revenue. 

18. Created more jobs in one year (6.6 million) than any other president in U.S. history. 

19. Reduced healthcare premiums under the Affordable Care Act by $800 a year as part of the American Rescue Plan. 

20. Signed the PACT Act to address service members’ exposure to burn pits and other toxins. 

21. Signed the CHIPS and Science Act to strengthen American manufacturing and innovation. 

22. Reauthorized the Violence Against Women Act through 2027. 

23. Halted all federal executions after the previous administration reinstated them after a 17-year freeze 

Nice list of talking points from a Democratic Party website.

No need to debate all of them, or even some of them. The fact remains that the people simply ain't feelin' it.  You can put this down to poor messaging, people being stupid, whatever. But the polling is unequivocal. The counter argument is ruthless in its simplicity and ease to deliver;

1. Inflation

2. Open borders

3. Housing prices

4. Chaos in the world (as if foreign policy really mattered in most presidential elections)

The Democrats are losing at the kitchen table. That is where decisions get made. Nobody is voting on Biden calling a moratorium on federal executions. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Nice list of talking points from a Democratic Party website.

No need to debate all of them, or even some of them. The fact remains that the people simply ain't feelin' it.  You can put this down to poor messaging, people being stupid, whatever. But the polling is unequivocal. The counter argument is ruthless in its simplicity and ease to deliver;

1. Inflation

2. Open borders

3. Housing prices

4. Chaos in the world (as if foreign policy really mattered in most presidential elections)

The Democrats are losing at the kitchen table. That is where decisions get made. Nobody is voting on Biden calling a moratorium on federal executions. 

But people will be voting on women’s rights, law breaking, tax fraud, insurrection, coddling America’s enemies, hate mongering and the admission of wishing to be a dictator.

Trump has his MAGA votes in the bag, but they are not enough to win an election.

Nothing he says or has to offer is going to win the moderate swing voters.

Oh and I hear it said he stinks.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But people will be voting on women’s rights, law breaking, tax fraud, insurrection, coddling America’s enemies, hate mongering and the admission of wishing to be a dictator.

Trump has his MAGA votes in the bag, but they are not enough to win an election.

Nothing he says or has to offer is going to win the moderate swing voters.

Oh and I hear it said he stinks.

You may be right.  The abortion issue sank the GOP in 2022. Might do so again.  As for the rest, we shall see. Remains to be seen if Trump is even the nominee- personally I hope he isn't. In that case, 80% of your argument disappears and Biden is left facing a fresh face on the Republican side. 

5 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

You may be right.  The abortion issue sank the GOP in 2022. Might do so again.  As for the rest, we shall see. Remains to be seen if Trump is even the nominee- personally I hope he isn't. In that case, 80% of your argument disappears and Biden is left facing a fresh face on the Republican side. 

Actually no, 80% does not disappear.

The Republicans have a very short time to rid themselves of Trump and then rid themselves of their voting record and support for Abortion (still being ramped up) Trump’s insurrection and hate mongering.

The choice is clear, Totalitarianism from Republicans wed to Christian fascists or Democracy.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

You can go read Pravda, they are all over this.

No thanks, Candide fooled me with that.  Fool me once...

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Actually no, 80% does not disappear.

The Republicans have a very short time to rid themselves of Trump and then rid themselves of their voting record and support for Abortion (still being ramped up) Trump’s insurrection and hate mongering.

The choice is clear, Totalitarianism from Republicans wed to Christian fascists or Democracy.

And that hyperbole will re-elect Trump in a heartbeat if he is the candidate. Those are mostly things that the pundit class like to blather on about, but matter little to most people. As a side note, it is hard to declare your party on the side of "democracy" when you refuse to even have a primary campaign for party leadership. 

"It's the economy, stupid. "

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You must not be paying much attention to the news.

Unemployment and the price of gas are coming down.

Inflation is coming down.

Wages are up.

US manufacturing is way up.

Illegall immigration is massively up

Edited by proton
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

And that hyperbole will re-elect Trump in a heartbeat if he is the candidate. Those are mostly things that the pundit class like to blather on about, but matter little to most people. As a side note, it is hard to declare your party on the side of "democracy" when you refuse to even have a primary campaign for party leadership. 

"It's the economy, stupid. "

But it's not though is it. 

Bidens economic acheivements are there for everyone to see but identity politics in America have got so bad that many people (mostly Trump fans) simply don't care anymore, choosing to pick on his age, the troubles of Hunter, the fact he stammers and any slight sign that he has cognitive decline. It's all they've got and they will keep hammering this point because they have very little else to criticise (see Danderman123's excellent list above).

Biden and the Democrats know they have a solid case when arguing that Trump is a threat to democracy; he did after all instigate the attack on the Capitol and still refuses to accept he lost the 2020 election so it's an easy to digest, 'bite sized' ascertion that the politically weary American voter can easily understand - a vote for Biden is a vote for democracy - a vote for Trump is a step towards totalitarianism.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

But it's not though is it. 

Bidens economic acheivements are there for everyone to see but identity politics in America have got so bad that many people (mostly Trump fans) simply don't care anymore, choosing to pick on his age, the troubles of Hunter, the fact he stammers and any slight sign that he has cognitive decline. It's all they've got and they will keep hammering this point because they have very little else to criticise (see Danderman123's excellent list above).

Biden and the Democrats know they have a solid case when arguing that Trump is a threat to democracy; he did after all instigate the attack on the Capitol and still refuses to accept he lost the 2020 election so it's an easy to digest, 'bite sized' ascertion that the politically weary American voter can easily understand - a vote for Biden is a vote for democracy - a vote for Trump is a step towards totalitarianism.  

All very true.

But it it’s a line of argument that will not win over the vociferous minority who would rather like to see America become a rightwing totalitarian dictatorship.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Always funny the 'i never talk politics but' I never supported trump but' I'd vote for Biden but' posts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

If I ever post a link that's not factual, please show me where I'm wrong.  Unless, as I occasional do, I post a link to a site questioning it's validity.

If I post links to sources you don't like, tough noogies.  Life's tough, get a helmet.  

You post links from sources you may consider legit, but which aren't acceptable on this forum.

It's not a new thing with your posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

Unlike other nations who derive  their cohesion from a common ethnic identity the US  being a nation of immigrants derives it's cohesion from a tacit trust in it's institutions and that for the most part they work fairly for all. It is the binding core in what we consider the USA to be,

trump has done more to degrade such institutions than anyone and anything in the history of the United States of America, 

There are few  things that I don't like about Biden and if better options existed I would opt for such, but all the negatives attributed to Biden pale in comparison to those exhibited by trump.

He represents an existential danger to the concept on America, where the undesirable elements attributed to Biden do not. 

I believe it was Sun Tzu in the art of war who said (please correct me if I am wrong).  

In the absence of no good options  the least harmful option is the best.

IMO you are wrong. Trump didn't cause the degradation of the institutions, he was a result of the degradation of the institutions in Washington by the professional politician class. He was elected because he was the only candidate to accuse Washington of being a "swamp", and all the other ones were part of the swamp.

In the absence of no good options  the least harmful option is the best.

I agree, but Trump IMO is less bad than Biden.

The problem for the Dems is easily solved- find a decent candidate instead of stumblin' bumblin' Joe who talks to dead people. IMO it's appalling that Biden is unopposed as Democrat candidate.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

MO you are wrong. Trump didn't cause the degradation of the institutions,

Either reading comprehension issues or a strawman  propaganda device.

"trump has done more to degrade such institutions than anyone and anything "

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

...and Biden probably loses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

But here's the difference. 

We disagree with Biden voters, sure.  But we don't accuse them of having half a brain, or being deplorable.  And we don't try to bar them from voting for their candidate, even if he is demonstrably crooked and has dementia.

One question. How would you call the 41% of Republicans who believed the pizzagate conspiracy theory. You know, the conspiracy in which Dem politicians (among others) where raping kids, and then killing them to drink their blood and remain young. In the basement of a pizzeria which has no basement?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Trump has claimed that the January 6 rioters were Antifa and the FBI.

And, Trump has claimed that the January 6 rioters are patriots and he will pardon them.

Can someone please reconcile these 2 positions?

I would but I'd have to shoot myself.

5 minutes ago, candide said:

One question. How would you call the 41% of Republicans who believed the pizzagate conspiracy theory. You know, the conspiracy in which Dem politicians (among others) where raping kids, and then killing them to drink their blood and remain young. In the basement of a pizzeria which has no basement?

A) That's old history

B) I didn't live in the USA at the time, so I didn't follow it to form my own opinion

C) I'd have to look at the data behind the survey.  Gotta link?

1 minute ago, impulse said:

A) That's old history

B) I didn't live in the USA at the time, so I didn't follow it to form my own opinion

C) I'd have to look at the data behind the survey.  Gotta link?

Have those old nutcases all died off now or have they finally had their come to jesus moment? I haven't seen too many mea culpas expressed by qanon nutjobs.

• Like 1