Condo's Without Security & Lobby Staff

JimTripper

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would appreciate the 'security'  myself, don't want any oddbods or drunks wandering about......

That said, seen quite a few smaller condos that seem not to bother, but  they often have camera surveillance.  Would that be a concern?

My condo has lot's of security, not exactly sure why, probably just job creation

On 1/6/2024 at 8:24 PM, Ohyesuare said:

View Talay 6 has a few lazy security guards that you can easily avoid by taking the stairs up a floor before the elevators or there's almost never one at the security desk by the garage elevator. Unixx has a keycard access side door through the garage with no security.

I like the VT6 security guards and really don't find them lazy but simply do the job at hand...basically sit/stand by the elevators , help people on/off, ask the odd gal for an ID card, help people with their luggage , keep eye on pool area etc.  I doubt that there are many buildings that you can not get into if you try. 

Key access is generally gotten around by just going in at same time as a resident and almost all will let you go in with them if asked.  I would bet that most any farang could get into Unixx in five minutes with no card.

VT6 is a big building with lot of people coming and going at all hours especially during peak airbnb short term months.  If security really tried to stop or thoroughly check more people coming/going it would be a giant mess and people would complain about that.

Dude, we be living in Asia.

Yep, the security guy is watching you as are the cleaners, and the win drivers at the corner.  

But in Thailand they just look.

It was more fun when I lived in Vietnam. They watched even more, and they gossiped about you. Hanoians are the most curious (nosey) people in the world.

Once when I left a jobsite, a mototaxi (xe om) asked me where I was going. I told him I was going back to my place for lunch and hoped the housekeeper would make me a bowl of pho. 

When I got there it was on the table.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, pomchop said:

I like the VT6 security guards and really don't find them lazy but simply do the job at hand...basically sit/stand by the elevators , help people on/off, ask the odd gal for an ID card, help people with their luggage , keep eye on pool area etc.  I doubt that there are many buildings that you can not get into if you try. 

Key access is generally gotten around by just going in at same time as a resident and almost all will let you go in with them if asked.  I would bet that most any farang could get into Unixx in five minutes with no card.

VT6 is a big building with lot of people coming and going at all hours especially during peak airbnb short term months.  If security really tried to stop or thoroughly check more people coming/going it would be a giant mess and people would complain about that.

Yeah I didn't mean it as a slight, they do the bare minimum required for their job which I have no problem with. I agree about how easy it is to get in Unixx and other condos with keycard access as a non-resident. Unixx does require a keycard for the elevators as well but one can easily just get out with someone else on their floor or pick the floors with the observation areas and use the stairs.

On 1/6/2024 at 3:58 PM, JimTripper said:

Does anyone know of a condo or apartment building in Pattaya that does not have the door staff or security?

My place has someone in the office all day facing the lobby and also security right at the door all night. They eyeball everyone coming or going. I used to work in an institutional setting so that's probably why it bothers me.

I'm thinking of getting a townhouse or house, but wanted to know if there were any condo's around like what I'm looking for.

In the Usa I had one with a seperate enterance for residents, so that would work as well.

I bring the LB' s up the stairs the lobby cant see then get the lift....

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:52 PM, JimTripper said:

They are watching everyone, not just me. I don't care why they are watching, they are just watching.

I need to go in and out several times a day and it's weird having the eye contact each time. The lady will be staring right at me each time I get out of the elevator, or the security guy will be eyeballing me everytime I return home. It feels weird.

I don't do the 'hello' thing because I'm in and out so much and it would be overkill to do it constantly.

If you dont do the hello thing you are halfway there. Stop looking at Thai people they wont look at you it is not your job to be polite to office staff all day long. How about smiling and nodding your head once a day? 

36 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

If you dont do the hello thing you are halfway there. Stop looking at Thai people they wont look at you it is not your job to be polite to office staff all day long. How about smiling and nodding your head once a day? 

Buy him an ice cream! Bit of a miserable job he endures, but the guy could be a useful friend and ally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The good thing about security at condos is that they can keep an eye on what is going on around and in the condo.  They also help as a deterrent to crime within the property and the units.  

The bad thing is that the security can be bribed by the not so favorable people to enter the premises and steal items of value that are kept there.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Upon further analysis it seems to be specific to certain people, not doormen/security in general. So my issue is with people who don't do security/lobby well, not just anybody. It could very well be me staring at them also, I don't know who is doing it first, we are both looking.

I looked back at places that really know what they are doing and it was not an issue. So for other readers it may be helpful to pop into a place you are renting or buying during the day and night to see if you're comfortable with the vibe. Some people call it the 'milieu'.

As for the place I'm at now, putting on my sunglasses a bit early helps a lot and makes a huge difference. I now know why rockstars wear sunglasses all the time, it's not just for the sun!

Edited by JimTripper

20 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Upon further analysis it seems to be specific to certain people, not doormen/security in general. So my issue is with people who don't do security/lobby well, not just anybody. It could very well be me staring at them also, I don't know who is doing it first, we are both looking.

I looked back at places that really know what they are doing and it was not an issue. So for other readers it may be helpful to pop into a place you are renting or buying during the day and night to see if you're comfortable with the vibe. Some people call it the 'milieu'.

As for the place I'm at now, putting on my sunglasses a bit early helps a lot and makes a huge difference. I now know why rockstars wear sunglasses all the time, it's not just for the sun! They block that invasive energy.

👀

On 1/6/2024 at 5:52 AM, JimTripper said:

They are watching everyone, not just me. I don't care why they are watching, they are just watching.

I need to go in and out several times a day and it's weird having the eye contact each time. The lady will be staring right at me each time I get out of the elevator, or the security guy will be eyeballing me everytime I return home. It feels weird.

I don't do the 'hello' thing because I'm in and out so much and it would be overkill to do it constantly.

Have a T-shirt made that says "Hello" on the front and "Goodbye, Now Stop Starring At Me" on the back. :wai:

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2024 at 8:25 AM, Lacessit said:

Perhaps the OP should consider psychiatric help, his reaction to what most other people accept is not normal.

My comment is not intended as an insult, we all have phobias.

Nope! I don’t want a peanut gallery every time I enter and exit my abode. It’s a fckn nuisance. I want to be left alone 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2024 at 3:41 AM, ignore it said:

Dude, we be living in Asia.

Yep, the security guy is watching you as are the cleaners, and the win drivers at the corner.  

But in Thailand they just look.

It was more fun when I lived in Vietnam. They watched even more, and they gossiped about you.

Believe me, in Thailand they do as well. After all the talking about all of their last and future meals, so with luck we rank very far down the list.

But why not have a nice chat with them when leisure time allows? Thais are very friendly and their job is boring as hell, so they will appreciate it.

Would make the weird feeling of the OP go away as well, his mind state might improve with more social/human interaction.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

Believe me, in Thailand they do as well. After all the talking about all of their last and future meals, so with luck we rank very far down the list.

But why not have a nice chat with them when leisure time allows? Thais are very friendly and their job is boring as hell, so they will appreciate it.

Would make the weird feeling of the OP go away as well, his mind state might improve with more social/human interaction.

That interaction does not benefit me in any way. I'm not interested in making friends of condo staff and am looking for no favors so what good does it do to waste my time and energy chit chatting? The boring job is in no way my problem.

As an update to my post, I found that avoiding eye contact makes a huge difference. I just don't eyeball them coming off the elevator, so have not had the problem much even without the sunglasses. I think by eyeballing them it made them feel like they had to greet or whatever each time. Kind of like what a superior would do to staff giving a critical stare expecting a greeting first (something along those lines).

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

You do live there and you want your stay be more comfortable (socially and emotionally). Having a chit chat would be the normal human repsonse to this really not complicated issue.

Of course, if you are somebody better than them, go on and be all bothered about them looking at you.

My guess is, wherever you live, you will have similar issues, because a change of place to stay still brings yourself in your head with it. So you do you -- but let's not forget, it was you who came here and asked for advice.

Not really. I'm trying for a villa or house next time.