I am a British national and have been travelling to Thailand for over 21 years. I'm single and have a home in Thailand.  I was married to a Thai citizen and so the majority of the Thai visas that I have held were Multi Entry Non O visas based on marriage.  I've also had a few single entry tourist visas over the years - mostly obtained at the (now closed) Thai Consulate in Hull and made countless visa exempt entries.  My Non O's were also obtained at Hull apart from 1 which I got at HCMC Vietnam.

So, I'm no newcomer to visas per se but things have changed a bit since I last applied for any visa other than a Non O - which is out of the question now.  E-Visas, Stickerless Visas and new requirements seem to be plentiful - I have no experience of any.

In around 5 months I will be making the move to live in Thailand permanently although I may be returning to the UK for a few months in the first year.  After that things should become quite clear on which route I take to achieve that in terms of visas. I may be starting a business, in which case I will be applying for a Non B and a Work Permit.

My first few 'stints' in Thailand could be as short as 2 months but may last longer - lots of things are happening at the moment and I can't make exact plans.  When my passport details are entered into the computer at Suvarnabhumi it will clearly show literally hundreds of entries of varying types over the last 21 years. Although all those entries have been legitimate and most have had months between them, I don't want to run even the smallest risk of being denied entry in the future - I will have sold my UK home and have nowhere to be sent back to.

I have therefore been looking into my options for visas that will see me through the first year or so.  That is not so easy as it seems due to the requirements for visas - depending on where and what you are applying for.  I had a serious illness a few years ago and wasn't expected to pull through - although clearly I did.  However, when I was diagnosed I decided I wasn't going to let my illness cheat me out of my retirement, cashed in a small private pension and 'retired'.  I'm not complaining but nearly 9 years later, my illness has gone but so have my savings and pension - I have now returned to work until I make the move but I have very little in savings.  I do however, have considerable assets in the UK and will be selling some of them in a few months

So, for example one option I considered was to apply for a Multi Entry Tourist Visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in London, however, according to the RTE London, I need to provide 6 months bank statements showing a balance of at least £5000.  I believe that requirement was there when I used to get my visas at Hull but in fact, it was never enforced. As the application is now made through the E-Visa system I guess that the requirements are enforced and I will not be able to provide such statements - not for 6 months anyway, so that seems to be out. 

I then thought, enter visa exempt, extend that for 30 days then travel to Savannakhet and obtain a METV there.  According to Savannakhet's website, bank statements for 6 months with an average balance of 200,000 baht are required and in any case the METV is only available to those who are legally resident in Laos. I guess though, that I could get a single entry (I can meet the financial requirements for that) and extend that giving I believe, a 90 day stay.  However, all of this adds up to lots of entries and visas which, when added to my previous history lead me to worry about a future denial of entry.

So it seems to me that the best way forward is to enter exempt, possibly extend that and at some point apply for a conversion to a Non O and apply for a 1 year retirement extension. I will have realised some of my assets by that point so will be able to meet the financial requirement. I believe that I could then come and go as I please provided I also obtain a multiple re-entry stamp. Unless that is, someone has a better suggestion? Maybe some of the requirements I mention above are not actually necessary?

One further question on the above.  Due to potential problems with the new taxation requirements, I'd rather not bring 800,000 baht into Thailand immediately.  Does anyone know if the income method (65,000pm) is accepted at Korat and how do you show that on your first application? In the future I won't have a problem in taking them to task on that if they don't accept it but for the first 12 months I'll have enough to do without dealing with that.

Edited by MangoKorat

7 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

So it seems to me that the best way forward is to enter exempt, possibly extend that and at some point apply for a conversion to a Non O and apply for a 1 year retirement extension. I will have realised some of my assets by that point so will be able to meet the financial requirement

Bumping your thread as no replies.

The option you outlined of visa exempt entry onto non O with multi Re-entry permit is best option imo.

I would enter with SETV eVisa to ease time pressure.

Doing it with required funds in the bank is best option.

Some folk will suggest use of agents and that's always an option if it takes time to sell some of your assets.

Income method is not an option without 12 monthly transfers.

When you have a job lined up you can look at obtaining a non b. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Bumping your thread as no replies.

The option you outlined of visa exempt entry onto non O with multi Re-entry permit is best option imo.

I would enter with SETV eVisa to ease time pressure.

Doing it with required funds in the bank is best option.

Some folk will suggest use of agents and that's always an option if it takes time to sell some of your assets.

Income method is not an option without 12 monthly transfers.

When you have a job lined up you can look at obtaining a non b. 

I thought that was the best option and understand your suggestion to enter on an SETV. I wouldn't consider using an agent so I guess I would have to bring the funds in.

I've looked into obtaining a 12 month retirement based Non O-A whilst still in the UK which would mean I could leave my funds in the UK but the financial requirements again wouldn't work for me. It also seems to involve a lot more paperwork than is required for an extension obtained within Thailand?  I've seen others comment that this is far easier obtained whilst in Thailand - correct?

If I do enter on an either an exempt or a SETV and then go on to a Non O, would my 800,000 have to stay in the bank for 3 months?

16 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

If I do enter on an either an exempt or a SETV and then go on to a Non O, would my 800,000 have to stay in the bank for 3 months

For the plan you outlined...

You enter visa exempt or TV then apply for non O retirement.

Requires 800k on day of application.

Then in last 30 days of your non O permission of stay you apply for 12 month extension then maintain 800k for 3 months and then can reduce to 400k and back up to 800k two months prior to next application for extension 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

A Non O-A Visa is a poor option because of the need to get a poor value insurance policy.

Enter with a Tourist Visa or a Vise Exempt.

apply for a Non Imm O Visa with 800,000 Baht in the bank on the day you apply.

Then apply for a 12 month extension with the 800k in the bank for 2 months before application.

You then have to leave the money in the bank for 3 months.

Then you can reduce it down to 4 months.

Edited by Lite Beer