PM Srettha seeks extension to visa-free countries list for Thai passport

snoop1130

59 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

How about Thailand giving 60 days visa free entry to Thailand... to everyone.

yes why is it 30 days, some other countries in the area give more, ie

Malaysia, Hong Kong and Japan

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

As noted above, it's not "hubris", but reality. And yes, Thailand absolutely could decide to only exempt visas for nationalities whose own countries do the same for Thais, just as Brazil and Indonesia have periodically done in the name of third-world honor. That would be shooting themselves in the foot, though, and laying waste to a very lucrative tourism industry for no reason other than feeling a momentary glow of nationalistic pride.

I think times have changed ...... as a UK person I would ponder why on earth would a Thai want to be illegal in the UK.

These 1st world countries are unable to handle the illegals that cross their borders by land or from the sea.... the few that fly in and come through legitimate channels, and would remain, are relatively small in number, and presumable financially more sound. 

Is Thailand any more '3rd world' than UK for example? 

I still see Hubris...

You mentioned Brazil, I always recall a liberal attitude to entering there, I got 90 days no problems IIRC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I think times have changed ...... as a UK person I would ponder why on earth would a Thai want to be illegal in the UK.

These 1st world countries are unable to handle the illegals that cross their borders by land or from the sea.... the few that fly in and come through legitimate channels, and would remain, are relatively small in number, and presumable financially more sound. 

I still see Hubris...

You mentioned Brazil, I always recall a liberal attitude to entering there, I got 90 days no problems IIRC.

Seriously ? Have a think about working and the work permit/visa situation. 

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

yes why is it 30 days, some other countries in the area give more, ie

Malaysia, Hong Kong and Japan

Hong Kong (and I hold permanent HKID) has an extensive and varied list of countries to whom they give a variety of "Visa free" periods of stay.

EG. UK 180 days

OZ 90 days

Thai up to 30 days (7 to 30 days)

Philippines up to 14 days.

etc.

However the IO can vary this and even refuse entry at their discretion on arrival.

Source: HK Immigration website.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

urged the government to press for additional visa exemptions with European nations, the UK, the US,

The US ought to go ahead and do it. It's not like they're trying to keep out anybody anyway. At least if the Thais come in, they'll be doing so on their passport and US authorities will know who they. Unlike the millions pouring across the southern border who are unidentified and given money, housing, and travel to their destination of choice.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I still see Hubris...

I agree. At least having a plane ticket, a passport, and their own luggage, Thai travelers would demonstrate more self sufficiency than the vast numbers coming illegally and be given free stay and support. Much more likely to see these Thais on a visa free entry go back home than the mobs crossing illegally.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Are you living on a different planet or are you just ignorant?There is a difference between 1st world countries and 3rd world countries!

Yes arrogance and a sense of entitlement!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, steve187 said:

so it should be restrictive, Thailand need the income from the vast amount of arrivals. Europe as well as overs have problems keeping people out, therefore the UK and Europe need tough visa requirements for counties that will overstay and disappear.

My point is Western countries should not expect special treatment, when they themselves are very restrictive. Times change and I wonder if That tourists, coming Visa free, to say the UK, would be an issue. I would prefer them to Romanians as an example!

• Confused 1

It would be a blessing for both sides. As there is a hugh shortage of labour forces in the western world for certain jobs. Let the Thai come in, work for 3 or 6 months and then back home with their money. Everyone happy. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Never going to happen in the US, that's all we need, every Thai with a 350 baht daily wage would fly to the US and never return.

Plenty of far richer ones that would be lucrative tourists. Better to worry about what comes over the Rio Grande. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Plenty of far richer ones that would be lucrative tourists. Better to worry about what comes over the Rio Grande. 

That's delusional at best, its nothing more than a pipe dream that has no chance in Hell of ever happening.

3 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

That's delusional at best, its nothing more than a pipe dream that has no chance in Hell of ever happening.

Is it not also delusional to think that Thais on 350 baht/day , will have the means to fly so far?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

Is it not also delusional to think that Thais on 350 baht.day , will have the means to fly so far?

Poor people from South America are paying thousands of dollars to get to our Southern border, so no, it's reality.

8 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Poor people from South America are paying thousands of dollars to get to our Southern border, so no, it's reality.

I believe they are coming from far more dire situations......and the camineros (I think they call them), doesn't seem to include Thais, who can travel Visa free to say Panama. Anyhow, apologies, took topic off subject.

I remember a story in The Nation from 2017 which said there were 100,000 undocumented Thais in the U.S.

There are some accomplished Thai "Dreamers" (DACA).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-among-dreamers-celebrating-us-court-ruling-over-daca/

I think many are concerned about Human Trafficking as a result of relaxed or visa-free travel for Thais to the U.S.

Thai Woman Pleads Guilty to Her Role in International Sex Trafficking Conspiracy

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mn/pr/thai-woman-pleads-guilty-her-role-international-sex-trafficking-conspiracy

Thirty-Six Defendants Sentenced For Their Roles In International Thai Sex Trafficking Organization

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mn/pr/thirty-six-defendants-sentenced-their-roles-international-thai-sex-trafficking

I think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs should probably lead the charge in appealing to other countries to allow Thai citizens to travel visa-free. Having the PM popping off is probably not helpful.