US and UK hint at military action after largest Houthi attack in Red Sea

CharlieH

This notion that the best of a worst set of options was to do nothing is about as off the wall as the mad hatter. Of course action was needed:

UK had no choice but to strike Houthis - Cameron

Their attacks on cargo ships - some of which have no clear connection to Israel - have led major shipping companies to divert vessels away from the Red Sea, instead taking a longer route around southern Africa.

Lord Cameron said the UK took part in the strikes to defend "freedom of navigation".

He also suggested Britain could strike Houthi targets again if their attacks continued.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67972796

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

This notion that the best of a worst set of options was to do nothing is about as off the wall as the mad hatter. Of course action was needed:

UK had no choice but to strike Houthis - Cameron

Their attacks on cargo ships - some of which have no clear connection to Israel - have led major shipping companies to divert vessels away from the Red Sea, instead taking a longer route around southern Africa.

Lord Cameron said the UK took part in the strikes to defend "freedom of navigation".

He also suggested Britain could strike Houthi targets again if their attacks continued.

"If the Houthis deny this passage to ships, vital supply chains are threatened and prices will go up in Britain and across the globe," he said.

"We will work with allies. We will always defend the freedom of navigation. And, crucially, we will be prepared to back words with actions."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67972796

The best course of action was peace. Israel stop bombing and negotiate a peaceful resolution and the Houtis will stop the attacks. They only started as a retaliation against Israel for the war crimes. They said so.

• Confused 4

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well obviously. Had Hamas not carried out Oct 7th this would not be happening. Had Hamas carried out the UN Security Council Resolutiion to release hostages with no pre conditions then this may have been avoided

Whatever but it's in Israel's hands only to stop the Houti attacks. The US and allies can't. All they can do is escalate and drag Iran into a war it doesn't want. Not to mention Saudi Arabia is probably about to get some oil tanks blown up again.

Releasing hostages unconditionally was never going to be a starter. Hamas may be terrorists but they aren't insane. They attacked Israel on October 7th for a reason. 50 years or more of human rights violations, extrajudicial killings and theft of land.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 4

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Releasing hostages unconditionally was never going to be a starter. Hamas may be terrorists but they aren't insane. They attacked Israel on October 7th for a reason. 50 years or more of human rights violations, extrajudicial killings and theft of land.

Oh another one of your add on edits carried out after replying. Yes Hamas are insane, that's exactly what they are or maybe you missed the mutilations and tortures they carried out, maybe you missed they are still holding women and children.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Said the Hamas spokesman parroted by you when its Hamas that has refused the ceasefires

As far as I know the Israeli offer of a ceasefire is predicated on unconditional surrender and release of the hostages. They aren't negotiating in good faith if that's true.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

As far as I know the Israeli offer of a ceasefire is predicated on unconditional surrender and release of the hostages. They aren't negotiating in good faith if that's true.

You do not know a lot then. Why not look it up instead

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The latest attempt at a ceasefire was a plan proposed by Egypt.  So far neither side has accepted or made a counter proposal.

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/27/1221761431/gaza-israel-ceasefire-palestinians-war

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I only need to if you are asserting that what I said was not true.

Read the topic you are in. It's been discussed. Read the other topics. Been discussed. Don't look to me to confirm your thoughts one way or the other. What you need I am not obligated to provide for you. 

• Agree 2

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Read the topic you are in. It's been discussed. Read the other topics. Been discussed. Don't look to me to confirm your thoughts one way or the other. What you need I am not obligated to provide for you. 

go it. Not going to give a simple yes or no because you know you are wrong. Not going to give a link to disprove my assertion.  Standard playbook for you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

11 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

The latest attempt at a ceasefire was a plan proposed by Egypt.  So far neither side has accepted or made a counter proposal.

https://www.npr.org/2023/12/27/1221761431/gaza-israel-ceasefire-palestinians-war

Actually the Qatar is the latest:

Israel Discusses Qatari Proposal to End Gaza War

Israel is considering a new Qatari proposal aimed at ending the war and withdrawing the Israeli army from the Gaza Strip in exchange for releasing all Israeli detainees and exiling Hamas leaders from the enclave.

Hamas did not immediately comment, but informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the movement would reject the proposal if it were true.

https://english.aawsat.com/arab-world/4782496-israel-discusses-qatari-proposal-end-gaza-war

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

go it. Not going to give a simple yes or no because you know you are wrong. Not going to give a link to disprove my assertion.  Standard playbook for you.

You got it, I don't entertain your baits, 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Actually the Qatar is the latest:

Israel Discusses Qatari Proposal to End Gaza War

Israel is considering a new Qatari proposal aimed at ending the war and withdrawing the Israeli army from the Gaza Strip in exchange for releasing all Israeli detainees and exiling Hamas leaders from the enclave.

Hamas did not immediately comment, but informed sources told Asharq Al-Awsat that the movement would reject the proposal if it were true.

https://english.aawsat.com/arab-world/4782496-israel-discusses-qatari-proposal-end-gaza-war

Thank you.   I didn't see anything in the article about an Israeli acceptance, rejection or counter proposal.

18 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Where is the link I requested?  If you can't find the link because there is none, just say so.

Edited by Hawaiian
Additional comment.

8 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

Where is the link I requested?  

Hamas required a complete caesefire as I said. Unless you contest or provide a link to the contrary one isn't necessary for an event that has been linked previously (also your excuse) and is widely known even among those who can barely read.

You're just baiting.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Hamas required a complete caesefire as I said. Unless you contest or provide a link to the contrary one isn't necessary for an event that has been linked previously (also your excuse) and is widely known even among those who can barely read.

You're just baiting.

Look what I just reeled in.  A sore looser!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hawaiian said:

Look what I just reeled in.  A sore looser!

The entire world knows that Hamas demanded a complete ceasefire. Except you. I can't believe you are unaware. You are baiting.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

@ozimoron

Well, you're not posting in good faith either. Because you keep addressing one side, while ignoring the other. This is not how negotiations work. This might come as a shock to you, but sides opening positions are not always where negotiations end. Hamas got strong demands, Israel got strong demands - you seem totally focused on one set, ignoring the other.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Proposals by Egypt are not Israel negotiating.,

@ozimoron

Unless you missed it, there are no direct negotiations by sides. It's always been this way.

As for your standing nonsense - proposals by Egypt are not Hamas negotiating.

What was your point?

• Like 1