Mae Hon song

georgegeorgia

Don't know if I spelt it right but anyway who cares....

I havent been there since 2008

Im thinking of retirement there 

I remember driving from Chiang main a rented car 

Went thru Pai etc 

Is Pai still have a lot of Muslim residents ? And backpackers 

Anyway my question is about Mai Hong Son ,?

I'm sick of that dry Isaan area I want to move to the North West 

Maybe a small house with a garden in Mai Hong Son or Pai 

I liked the cooler weather, but I think houses are expensive near that big lake ?

Who is retiring in MHS or Pai?

Anyone know about life and real estate there 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Pai is a bit of a touristy place that attracts a lot of pot headed backpackers. Whenever we go out that way we stop for fuel in pai and continue west. Mueang MHS district is nice and quiet 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, novacova said:

Pai is a bit of a touristy place that attracts a lot of pot headed backpackers. Whenever we go out that way we stop for fuel in pai and continue west. Mueang MHS district is nice and quiet 

translation: people who like to see the country.

I started my travels in Thailand in koh samui in 1979 because of tales I had heard from backpackers on the London to Sydney overland route. If M MHS has transport going there they will also go there.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Have you tried Chiang Rai?  I think we have the coolest weather here.  16C this morning at 7am.

Pai is higher elevation and cooler for sure. Has lots of big mountains nearby so cool air flows in to the valley. It's a tourist trap though so I wouldn't live there.

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

Retiring 5 hours away from the nearest half decent hospital? Seems like folly to me.

Well I am hoping not to go to a hospital as a patient! 

Being close to a hospital is not really on my list as a requirement,I guess being close to a Doctor could be 

Must be medical services in MHS ?

31 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Must be medical services in MHS ?

Basic services.  Not something I'd personally want to rely on in case of a stroke or heart attack, or even a bone breaking accident.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Went thru Pai etc 

I liked the cooler weather, but I think houses are expensive near that big lake ?

You initial sentence speaks volumes of your charachter.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

Winter in Mae Hong Son:

I could have sworn there was an airport there ... :cheesy:

Winter @ MHS ... NO Thanks 😷😷😷

smog was so bad in 2009, they closed the airport when we were there

image.png.97e8440eae9b84ef9c52496073aa9dbf.png

There it is, told you ...

image.png.07be84d90ad524fabdc714109b1db7c5.png

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Real Name Hidden said:

... the bamboo bridge just outside town

The beautiful bamboo bridge as of October 2023, pictured from opposite direction..to be replaced by beautiful makeshift concrete bridge? 

IMG_20240112_095516.jpg

On 1/11/2024 at 9:44 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Went thru Pai etc 

I'm 67 didn't like Pia one but. Be prepared for 200 dopey young backpackers walking down the street every day in just wet shorts having been on a mass river tubing and drinking trip! I could go on ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:44 AM, georgegeorgia said:

Went thru Pai etc 

Pia main street is same as Greek St in 

1 minute ago, Martin Brit said:

I'm 67 didn't like Pia one but. Be prepared for 200 dopey young backpackers walking down the street every day in just wet shorts having been on a mass river tubing and drinking trip! I could go on ...

Pia main street is same as Greek St in Leeds. A long row of bars selling weird coloured drinks to kids who don't know what a beer is. You could be anywhere.

• Like 2

I was in Pai and Mae Hong Son last month. Pai was packed with foreign backpackers and I personally cannot understand why it is such a magnet for travellers. There is not really anything to do or to see there except cafe and bar hopping and visiting cannabis shops.  I had the impression that there were more foreigners than locals.

I was however pleasantly surprised about Mae Hong Son. Weather was excellent and I really loved the view of the town from the temple viewpoint. You can walk to most places as the town is rather small.  I met an American retiree there who told me that he would not like to be anywhere else. His wife was from Mae Hong Son. I think this family connection is a very important point. If your own family is from Isaan or somewhere else it will be difficult as Mae Hong Son is very remote. As you know Thais like to be near the extended family members. And if you are single you would be lonely there. 

Edited by msbkk

6 minutes ago, msbkk said:

I was in Pai and Mae Hong Son last month. Pai was packed with foreign backpackers and I personally cannot understand why it is such a magnet for travellers. There is not really anything to do or to see there except cafe and bar hopping and visiting cannabis shops.  I had the impression that there were more foreigners than locals.

I was in Pai visiting family a few days last week. It's a stunning valley and has an interesting perk of lots of fancy foreigner oriented restaurants and resorts. However like you said during high season the only Thai people you will see are the people who run the shops. It's just obnoxious to be there and be surrounded by the incessant tourism.

Compare that with Mae Hong Son which has a good vibe to it and feels more natural. My only complain is that it's seriously remote and the weather isn't nearly as good as Pai despite what you'd think by looking at the map. If I could do it over and I would have lived that last 10 years in Mae Hong Son and ditched the dirty Chiang Mai city live.

However after that I was in Koh Samui for the first time for 4 days and I literally saw not a single Thai tourist there my entire time. 100% European people with the exception of one Chinese and Indian couple I saw. Even the staff at restaurants were often Burmese and didn't speak Thai well enough to talk with our wives. You would never know you were in Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mae Hong Son has a quiet ambience to it, views from the temple are spectacular. Particularly when a plane comes in to land, and it is below you.

I would not want to live there long term, restaurants are very limited. IIRC, the only Western food there is a KFC.

I understand Mae Hong Son is the posting for any Thai official or courtier who has blotted their copybook in Bangkok.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, Real Name Hidden said:

I’ve visited a couple time and really enjoyed it.  My biggest complaint was there were only two bars.

Not exactly known for it's nightlife, thankfully and why It's so nice.   Sit around the lake and sip a few, at restaurants, or not, just lakeside.

Who wants to sit in a bar/pub, when it's that beautiful out, non smog season, that is.  Something I don't understand.   Unless a meet up with someone, though prefer a restaurant.  I can't remember last time  was in a bar.  Maybe 10 yrs ago, and that was a monthly meet up thing with friends, and more restaurant than bar.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 2

Very hard to find a rental in Pai, they’re all air bnb. I like tourists and restaurants and could happily live there. My wife calls it Nimman on Valium.

MHS is lovely with a very strong hilltribe vibe. Met a couple of Russians living the straw hut life for$200 a month. 3 days tho, and it’s a one and done. Mae Sariang would offer more for a long stay. So call that one good for a week.

Only Chiang Mai offers the amenities like gyms and a bit of social life in the north. I thought Chiang Rai was a lot less beautiful as a town, with a lot less of everything to pick from.

If you’re out in the sticks in the north, it’s all similar. Your life is your GF and waiting for a piece of fruit to drop from a tree.

Was there last Thursday, 3 of us were doing MHS loop, but went to Mae Sot first from CM, MHS is a nice little town, great big bike ride from Mai Sariang, that was the highlight, Pai was chocka with tourists. The video was at 7am, around 14c.

Edited by roo860