Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Safety Concerns Surge in Pattaya as Low-Hanging Signs Pose Threat to Tourists

webfact

I agree with another poster that the backing plate doesn't stand out like the blue sign attached to it and that deceives the eye of pedestrians.

The situation is not helped because it appears the placement of a fern bush on the pavement makes walkers swerve towards the offending sign.

And of course, there's this:

image.png.5f77ce33e114abc61527e700c80d869d.png

Edited by Old Croc

22 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Because the thread is on the Pattaya forum and is about one particular hazard there that has injured 10 tourists.

Posters have subsequently decided to share their experiences about all sorts of things, in many other places, which makes your complaint even more puzzling.

It was a simple request, where is the complaint. Please point out the complaint in my question, or have you found a big wooden spoon?

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 7:32 AM, Gsxrnz said:

Maybe it's just me but I tend to look where I'm walking, and therefore avoid walking into static objects.:coffee1:

Yes, me too.  But, I think this sign is particularly bad because it is bright blue and white, with black on the top and bottom.  Your eye focuses on the brght blue and white while the black part is not as noticeable, especially if you are doing something like jogging.  You might glance at the sign and just see the blue and white and think you can pass under it.  At first glance at the photo I didn't even notice the black part, which I think is what the people were hitting.

20 hours ago, BigStar said:

Yes, we're pointing around everywhere. Hanging wires, uneven pavement, hazardous roads, low toilet doors, missing manhole covers, carelessness about traffic laws/rule (only Thais), obstacles on the ground. Turned into a kind of delicious pointing fest, in fact, sticking it to the Thais, heh. And, yes, we've inevitably pointed overseas to the paradise of the UK to show how things should be done.

To the UK where you have to have a licences to break wind.:wink:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Surasak said:

It was a simple request, where is the complaint. Please point out the complaint in my question, or have you found a big wooden spoon?

You didn't use the word complaint, nor did I say you did.

You did ask the following question (Why should Pattaya be singled out? It's the same all over the country.) I simply explained it for you.

I'm sorry you had trouble understanding, and felt the need to stir things up.

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, sambum said:

Well put! 

I am 187cm tall and have to be constantly aware of low signs, low  poles holding up shop shutters/blinds, low doorways etc. ("Duck or Grouse"? :smile:) Once in Surat Thani I turned a corner and could have been blinded by the cross bar sticking out from a street light.

OK, this is Thailand, their country, and all things are constructed by Thais with Thais in mind, and head height to them is quite often eye height to visitors or tourists, so a little bit of foresight would not go amiss when they are constructing the shops/stalls etc. As already mentioned, often the pavements are in such a bad state of repair that you need to have eyes like a chameleon to stay safe!!! 

Actually, Thai people have no causality thinking, if it haven't happened to that specific Thai, it will never happen. This is common among all of Thailand and Thais. And a sad way to know Thailand will noy evolve to the same level as other higher western countries in at least 100-200 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

You didn't use the word complaint, nor did I say you did.

You did ask the following question (Why should Pattaya be singled out? It's the same all over the country.) I simply explained it for you.

I'm sorry you had trouble understanding, and felt the need to stir things up.

Advanced Member

Posted 6 hours ago

22 hours ago, Surasak said:

Why should Pattaya be singled out?

Because the thread is on the Pattaya forum and is about one particular hazard there that has injured 10 tourists.

Posters have subsequently decided to share their experiences about all sorts of things, in many other places, which makes your complaint even more puzzling.

I do believe you should go back and very carefully re-read my original post. I did not include 'Its the same all over the country'. AND, you were the one to add the word "Complaint", in your reply.

Old Croc appears to be a very apt self description, wouldn't you say?

21 hours ago, sirineou said:

The problem can be easily mitigated by attracting shorter tourists. 

Special 90 day, Visa Exempt Permissions for Pygmies and little people?

• Agree 1

On 1/12/2024 at 4:27 PM, Surasak said:

Why should Pattaya be singled out? Its the same all over the country. I have been lucky up to now, but that maybe because I don't do a lot of walking on city streets? One thing missing on this thread are stairs, there is no set standard for height or depth of the tread nor the angle of incline, and as for a hand rail on both sides of the stairwell?

18 hours ago, Surasak said:

Advanced Member

Posted 6 hours ago

22 hours ago, Surasak said:

Why should Pattaya be singled out?

I do believe you should go back and very carefully re-read my original post. I did not include 'Its the same all over the country'. AND, you were the one to add the word "Complaint", in your reply.

Old Croc appears to be a very apt self description, wouldn't you say?

Firstly, an apology. I did use the word "complaint" in my initial post. Sorry I missed it in my review.

Secondly, the words in the brackets in my subsequent post were a direct quote from yours. See your full post quoted above. 

It seems we both have some comprehension difficulties. However, I won't punctuate this message with an insult.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:55 AM, mikebell said:

Most Pattaya pedestrians are watching for the surface dangers; loose tiles; missing manhole covers; degraded paving.

No they are watching boobs and butts.

have been  hit on the head a few times over the years, you can either watch your feet so you dont go down open drains or fall over over broken/missing sections or watch out for head high signs and I am under 6' tall so they are low. The fact that footpaths are not taken care of or maintained doesnt help at all nor does the fact they make signage way too low as well as the low hanging wires but doing everything as cheap as possible to make more profit is the real fault as those in charge are more concerned with how much they can pocket by ignoring repairs etc like many other people in Thailand, money is more important than the people. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why not do a proper job in the first place?

Please define a proper job in Asian countries.🤔 Are their mounting dimensions for roadside signs based on the size of their citizens?  Or the size of Dutchmen?

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Please define a proper job in Asian countries.🤔 Are their mounting dimensions for roadside signs based on the size of their citizens?  Or the size of Dutchmen?

Don't be obtuse.

Doing a risk assessment and proper planning of where to put the sign so it does not pose a hazard to pedestrians.

As usual, half-job done, now they have to come back and do it all again. 

• Agree 1