Safety Concerns Surge in Pattaya as Low-Hanging Signs Pose Threat to Tourists

webfact

9 minutes ago, John Drake said:

That's pretty much the standard response I've received in Thailand. My wife always says, "Your fault. Watch where you're going."

Stick your leg out and see if she sees it before tripping. just a suggestion.

When I lived on Samui many years ago the big hazard was low hanging signs from stores with very sharp edges. You could easily cut your forehead wide open by walking into one of these, you're looking down at the incredibly uneven sidewalks and it's hard to always have total situational awareness when hazards are all around you, up, down and all around. The authorities need to do a better job of monitoring this kind of thing and public safety needs to be taken seriously. It's not something that's ever been a concern for any of the officials. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When I lived on Samui many years ago the big hazard was low hanging signs from stores with very sharp edges. You could easily cut your forehead wide open by walking into one of these, you're looking down at the incredibly uneven sidewalks and it's hard to always have total situational awareness when hazards are all around you, up, down and all around. The authorities need to do a better job of monitoring this kind of thing and public safety needs to be taken seriously. It's not something that's ever been a concern for any of the officials. 

56 minutes ago, eddie61 said:

There is some exceptionally good pointing here….

Yes, we're pointing around everywhere. Hanging wires, uneven pavement, hazardous roads, low toilet doors, missing manhole covers, carelessness about traffic laws/rule (only Thais), obstacles on the ground. Turned into a kind of delicious pointing fest, in fact, sticking it to the Thais, heh. And, yes, we've inevitably pointed overseas to the paradise of the UK to show how things should be done.

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Where are you going to start? And how much are people willing to pay for increased safety? Many of the people who voice fear over safety concerns would be the first ones to complain about the increased costs of making Thailand safer. To achieve basic safety, you'll need to do a lot more retroactively than raise signs. You'll also need to:

* increase the height of balustrades

* maintain crosswalks and police them

* enforce laws against scooters riding against the direction of traffic

* maintain safety standards and inspections (remember the people killed in hotels a few years ago by bug bombs?)

Oh, why go on? The list is a mile long. But the point is, if you want all this stuff, you're going to need to pay for it. Who is the first to sign up for their taxes and fees to be increased?

Edited by John Drake
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Teacher, I’ve got a boo boo! Hardy har har. This is probably the least dangerous of all the pedestrian hazards in LOS. Pedestrians beware ! Everywhere! 
Self effacing moment follows: Years ago in Paris, I was distracted by a feminine form across the street from me. While gawking, I walked full stride into one of those curbside pay parking stands. I knocked myself to the ground, jumped up, brushed myself off and continued on as if there was nothing to see. I was totally embarrassed and imagine it provided great amusement to anyone that may have caught a glimpse.

19 minutes ago, fire2rescue99 said:

Teacher, I’ve got a boo boo! Hardy har har. This is probably the least dangerous of all the pedestrian hazards in LOS. Pedestrians beware ! Everywhere! 
Self effacing moment follows: Years ago in Paris, I was distracted by a feminine form across the street from me. While gawking, I walked full stride into one of those curbside pay parking stands. I knocked myself to the ground, jumped up, brushed myself off and continued on as if there was nothing to see. I was totally embarrassed and imagine it provided great amusement to anyone that may have caught a glimpse.

Yup. Happens here more than people like to admit, I think. Last year I was taking one of my fast walks on the beach when a Russian hottie in a thong totally distracted me. My head was revolving around watching her instead of my path and of course that was precisely the moment a tree root shot up from the ground. And I fell right over it. Got up and cleared outta there.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hkt83100 said:

On the other hand I would like to know why most of the toilet doors are lower than the other doors in the house, normally. To be seen in many restaurants.

Often wondered that too. Those 5'5" plastic doors.

• Like 1

Happened the other night going into a bar,hit some wood only happened once.Thais are generally shorter so i do it sometimes,but as a rule i lower my head and look ahead for signs that are lower.The footpath potholes  wires can be included in the risk.Welcome to thailand

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Maybe it's just me but I tend to look where I'm walking, and therefore avoid walking into static objects.:coffee1:

Walk around thailand long enough and sooner or later you will trip or bang your head.  Maybe not get cocky too soon as it WILL happen.  Some get lucky and only stub a toe etc.  Others not so lucky end up with a face plant in the pavement. 

Believe it or not most people do "tend to look where they are walking"  and do manage to "avoid walking into objects" .  Certainly a good idea but still no guarantee of future results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its the foreigners fault for being taller than the average Thai , well thats the excuse when a kitchen company fitted and charged me 300,000 baht for a kitchen that ended up with the granete worktops being 75 cm high instead of 90 cm

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Where are you going to start? And how much are people willing to pay for increased safety? Many of the people who voice fear over safety concerns would be the first ones to complain about the increased costs of making Thailand safer. To achieve basic safety, you'll need to do a lot more retroactively than raise signs. You'll also need to:

* increase the height of balustrades

* maintain crosswalks and police them

* enforce laws against scooters riding against the direction of traffic

* maintain safety standards and inspections (remember the people killed in hotels a few years ago by bug bombs?)

Oh, why go on? The list is a mile long. But the point is, if you want all this stuff, you're going to need to pay for it. Who is the first to sign up for their taxes and fees to be increased?

Fine them

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1